closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tissot?

Tissot?

I don't have a Tissot in my collection and was wondering what the general opinion of them is here. I have seen some nice looking examples on ebay. The 'Swiss Made' script is appealing but I'm not sure what that means exactly. The models I have seen are relatively inexpensive. How do they rate in quality. Relatively speaking of course.

Master
    I have one and actually quite like it. Nice design and elegant. Good value I say for a dress watch.

Don't wear it often but you have promoted me to try it out again!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Superb value especially used. I've had several and they've all felt v well built. Some designs can be garish though.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I picked up a good deal on Seastar pr516 from Germany on ebay last year.
    Just like this https://watchcharts.com/listing/768256

It's an original 60s rally bracelet which is a bit different. I wear it from time to time and its been one of the few watches I have that has brought comment from patients. Only downside is no date hacking option so you choose when to wear it in the month quite carefully to save a lot of winding!

About the Same quality as Glycine, Hamilton and Certina at the same price points. So ok but nothing special.

It is my opinion that Steinhart are superior than all these brands and also superior to Seiko / Orient at the same price points.

Big statement but I have them all several times and different models and that is just the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    About the Same quality as Glycine, Hamilton and Certina at the same price points. So ok but nothing special.

It is my opinion that Steinhart are superior than all these brands and also superior to Seiko / Orient at the same price points.

Big statement but I have them all several times and different models and that is just the way I see it.
    Obviously the same quality as Certina and Hamilton because positioned that way by Swatch.

As for Steinhart - I honestly do not know much about them - do they do many watches that are not knockoffs?

Also if Steinhart is superior at same price point - which true GMT do they offer as that is always a good way to compare.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 8th February 2020 at 00:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Obviously the same quality as Certina and Hamilton because positioned that way by Swatch.

As for Steinhart - I honestly do not know much about them - do they do many watches that are not knockoffs?

Also if Steinhart is superior at same price point - which true GMT do they offer as that is always a good way to compare.
    No comment for that fairly rude reply

As it happens, I'm on a 5 week holiday in Thailand.

I brought 3 watches with me, a Tag Heuer Aquaracer, a Longines Spirit, and also a Tissot 516.

The one I've been wearing the most? The Tissot! Worn it practically every day. I bought it new , a month or 3 ago...thinking it would be a nice easy to wear daily type watch. I wasn't wrong! It came on a bracelet...I didn't like the bracelet, as it has the butterfly? clasp, which I find doesn't always give me a snug fit...I bought a sailcloth strap for it....and it does the job great for me.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it, it's an auto , easy to read, and comfy...what's not to like!?

I've had a couple of Certinas, and one Steinhart before ....Personally....I much prefer this Tissot , to both the Steinhart and the Certinas I've previously had...

Of course... there are many many choices of Tissot....and of course I don't think they are all great..the one I have though, is a great watch for not a lot of money.

I think Swatch place Tissot as their introductory brand aimed at younger people, the watches are competitively priced, usually quartz and have styling that would seem more sporty / younger than other swatch brands.
    As a first Swiss watch I think they are a great place to start. As are Hamilton and a favourite of mine - Glycine.
    I think there is a direct comparison with Steinhart in terms of price but Steinhart’s original designs are an ‘acquired taste’ and the ‘homages’ are unoriginal.
    I have had 2 Steinhart’s one was sold the same day as it arrived (it was a forum favourite but I just disliked it from the moment it came out the box), the other got virtually no wear and sat in a safe for 2 years. In short I would try another Tissot if I could find one I liked, I will never bother looking at Steinhart again.

Journeyman
    I look at Indian shopping websites like Flipkart as they are highly popular in India where the population do not have. credit cards and pay via an indian system which is not available for foreigners.

Thesewebsites have loads of fake new Tissot watches for sale for £50.

So there is a huge fake market which makes its way onto ebay in the west after the owner realises it is a fake watch.

Master
    I have a quartz Tissot PR100, bought in 1997.

Its never been serviced, just battery changes every 3 years approx and I like it very much.

Very good value at under £200 and was a daily wearer before I got into mechanicals.

Having just had a new battery I’ve been wearing it for the last week which has reminded me how much I like it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    They are good, well made boring watches. Avoid buying on ebay as many are fakes. Buy from a high street dealer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    This isn't a Rolex thread......

Craftsman
    I have PR615 automatic bought for me by my parents when I was 24, was my everyday watch till I bought a Datejust in 1986. It has never been serviced, still keeps excellent time on the occasions that I wear it. On the 11th of this month it will be 44years old and has clearly worn better than me! Cheers, John B4

Thank you for your thoughts, Gentlemen. Very appreciated.

Master
    One I rather miss.

I like the vintage Tissot , Omega owned the company at one point I think ! great in house movements , Lemania movements in there Chronos from the 40s onwards ALOT to like IMO. They are still undervalued and can be purchased quite cheaply compared to there Omega cousins with the same movements.

What's rude about it?????

Craftsman
    If it helps, I have a Tissot Visodate (white face with brown strap and deployment clasp) and am very impressed with it considering it’s price etc.
    I also have a black Hirsch strap I use with it as well as a mesh strap, both of which really work well with the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    They are good, well made boring watches. Avoid buying on ebay as many are fakes. Buy from a high street dealer.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    This isn't a Rolex thread......
    I thought the same when I saw the comment above....
    So ok but nothing special
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Those vintage Tissot Chronographs are always worth buying.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

My black Visodate on brown Bulang & Sons...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've got a couple of Tissot's in my collection - vintage and a modern Visodate.

Are they remarkable, boring or whatever else some people have accused them of being? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

The movements are (admittedly) unremarkable ETA's, but then again, so are most Omega's (albeit with some added work). Some of the designs are questionable in my eyes, by which, I mean that I like some of the designs and I'm not so keen on some others.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Tissot - it's a good name with solid designs and a broad enough range that, even though some in the list won't chime with each individual, almost everyone will find something that they like.

Hamilton are similar in my eyes - the same movements and some good classic designs at a good price.

Grand Master
    i have a soft spot for vintage tissots, especially the chronos and nice vintage solid gold autos although i don't own one currently.
    i see their current position as just here- swatch<tissot<hamilton<longines<omega so a basic good value swiss maker, although some models are obviously more premium than others. at the right price you can't go wrong.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Wow, touchy!

Really not very rude at all.

And as for Steinhart being better quality, you're dreaming. Utterly hateful things.

Grand Master
    The 60s and 70s Tissots were excellent, very good quality movements. They can be good value, arguably they’re undervalued thesedays, but parts availability is a growing problem.

Personally I’m not keen on the modern stuff or the relative ‘positioning’ of the brand by Swatch Group.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Personally I’m not keen on the modern stuff or the relative ‘positioning’ of the brand by Swatch Group.
    I've got a couple, and in fact one a modern "dress" piece that I've had on SC a few times, but it's never generated any interest. It's a lovely watch, and I'm secretly happy that it hasn't ever sold because it seems to me like it's worth far more than what someone will pay for it. Trouble is, I have rare occasion to wear a dress watch these days, so when I do it's usually something vintage.

I do massively love my Sea-Touch though. It's like a top quality G-Shock. Absolutely fabulous piece.

It wasn't rude at all. Do they do a watch that is theirs and not a copy of someone else's? Their most recent addition is quite original.

Red face

I've a small collection of Titanium Tissots but to be honest, I have no time for them!!

John