closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anybody have expertise in vintage IWCs?

Anybody have expertise in vintage IWCs?

Just browsing and I quite like the style of this rose gold IWC that I came across.

https://www.goldammer.me/shop/iwc-ro...ct-15658904924

All I know is that the movement is the same as in my IWC Mk11.

Any views or opinions on the watch, case, dial, hands, movement, VfM?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    It appears to be a good honest example. I thought at first the case was perhaps a tad overpolished but then I noticed some ultra-fine scratches and other light signs of use. Dial looks original (might be an older refurb) with some light patina. Hands look right, movement looks tidy. Nice watch. I have no idea if it's VFM - only you can decide that.

Many thanks.

I’m attracted to the idea of a rose gold dress watch, probably vintage because I think the cases of modern ones (~39/40mm) look too big. Just light browsing so far. I like the look of IWC, JLC and Vacheron. More modern JLC Master Controls are available at 37mm although current ones are now somewhere around 40mm. I liked the look of the pictures of this IWC as it has straight lugs, many IWCs of the era seem to have over elaborate lug designs. Price? Well somebody thought it was VfM as it has been sold. I think I need to sell, have the cash and then buy. As it stands, still mulling over the idea. It would be a departure from my collection of near identical black faced military field watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    A word of warning if buying vintage. Replacement handsets and crowns are becoming difficult to source on everything thesedays but the problems are a whole lot worse with rose gold. Parts change colour too, I fitted a new crown and strap buckle to my 1950s rose gold Omega a few years back, they were a good match when fitted but they’re not now!

I may have some service photos of my IWC cal 89 if that’s any help for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A word of warning if buying vintage. Replacement handsets and crowns are becoming difficult to source on everything thesedays but the problems are a whole lot worse with rose gold. Parts change colour too, I fitted a new crown and strap buckle to my 1950s rose gold Omega a few years back, they were a good match when fitted but they’re not now!
    Thanks for the tips.

I have two quite valuable vintage watches where the availability of parts is a high risk should anything go badly wrong. Somewhat of concern.

I would take variations in colour in to account at time of purchase, but this would bother me less if part of essential maintenance down the line, just part of the story of its life.

JLC did a 37mm Master Control in the early 2000s that looks quite nice.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 11th February 2020 at 11:00.