closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Casio G-Shock GA2100 ‘Casioak’ - A Week (or so) On The Wrist

Casio G-Shock GA2100 ‘Casioak’ - A Week (or so) On The Wrist

I’m not a G-Shock obsessive, but as someone that is fairly active with the gym, squash, days out adventuring with the kids, and coaching & reffing children’s football, having one in the collection is essential for me. My longest serving G was the DW5600 - I love things that are classics or icons, be it clothes, cars, pens (yes sad I know!) and watches. But I fancied a change, an ‘upgrade’ and after seeing a few vids for the GA2100 (nicknamed the ‘Casioak’) it was out with the old and in with the new. And here it is (6.5” wrist):

Price £89 with 10% discount on Casio’s website. Features ani-digi display. The analogue bits are the time, and the day of the week, the digital features the seconds, date, world time, stop watch, countdown timer and alarms. The hands are lumed, the digi display has backlight, the buttons are more easily manipulated than the 5600, and the strap is more supple and comfy (also has quick release spring bars). Its the lightest and slimmest G-Shock around (supposedly) at 49g, has some sort of new carbon fibre protection and 200m WR. Certainly a lot of watch for the money, but then that could be said of most G-Shocks.

I’m certainly enjoying wearing it so far; it looks cool and offers me every function I could possibly want. But, I’m not sure yet if it’s a keeper as there are some flaws that I’d change. The hype around this watch is certainly all about the design - module wise it’s one of the more basics. Having had the very busy looking 5600 it’s refreshing to have such a clean looking G-Shock, with its matte case and minimalist features. The legibility of the analogue display is first class - you can tell the time from across the room.

But the trade off here is that the digital display suffers from a distinct lack of legibility. Firstly it is a negative display, so is hard to view in low light without using the back light. But even if it were positive, it’s so small that anyone who is a bit near sighted would struggle to read it. Furthermore, if the analogue hands are between the 3 and 6 they obscure the display. There is a function to temporarily move and reset them, but that does reduce the general practicality, which is surely a G-Shocks whole purpose. Given that all the extra practical functions beyond analogue time are held in the digital display, I would say this is a fairly significant flaw.

Personally I will be hanging onto this and continuing to wear it for now - it’s comfy and wears well, I do love the aesthetic, I think it’s a future classic, and I’m lucky enough to have good eyesight so the digital display is fine for me.

Was it an ‘upgrade’ on my DW5600? Well you gain world time, a better strap and an analogue display, but you lose an element of legibility. So ultimately, no, it’s the same thing in a different, cleaner case - the appeal of which is subjective. The true upgrade would’ve been the GWM-5610-1er, which is basically the 5600 on steroids as it has the added features of world time, solar power, atomic radio signal and motion sense back light. It can be had for the same price as the ‘Casioak’ and is certainly more bang for the buck - I can definitely see one of them in my future! Casio should have added solar, atomic and motion light to this model in my opinion. Maybe they will in time. Certainly it would look fantastic in an all stainless steel version.

Anyway that’s my two pennies worth, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nice review, echo's a lot of my own thoughts!

I picked mine up from Casio a few weeks ago as well using the code. It's my first one and tbh, it does exactly what i want it to: good for swimming, messing around outside and it probably become my holiday watch - so very happy with it.

I have found I just treat it as an analogue only watch and forfeit the digital readout, it;s utterly useless!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Nice review, echo's a lot of my own thoughts!

I picked mine up from Casio a few weeks ago as well using the code. It's my first one and tbh, it does exactly what i want it to: good for swimming, messing around outside and it probably become my holiday watch - so very happy with it.

I have found I just treat it as an analogue only watch and forfeit the digital readout, it;s utterly useless!
    Yeah I’m more or less doing the same; but I used to use my DW5600 to time football matches and runs. You can still do it on this and I have, but it’s just not as practical for those types of things. But it’s a lovely thing to look at and wear.

Master
    At last, a G-Shock that doesn't look as if it was deliberately designed to be as ugly as possible! Looks pretty good actually.

I love the depth of the dial

I just can’t cope with that lcd display - too dark for a man in his early 50’s!
    I’m beginning to appreciate the Rolex cyclops now....

Never really ‘got’ G-Shock’s but this I really like!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    They do look great these, tempting for travelling in the summer.

One of the best looking G Shocks out there IMO .

Master
    Just wish it was solar atomic as all my gshocks are, for me that’s the best feature on a gshock but it does look very nice

Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Just wish it was solar atomic as all my gshocks are, for me that’s the best feature on a gshock but it does look very nice

Agreed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I just can’t cope with that lcd display - too dark for a man in his early 50’s!
    I’m beginning to appreciate the Rolex cyclops now....

I'm with you there mate, wear a watch on the wrist (cos one does ) and carry a CWC Pocket Watch to tell the time !!
    (not quite that bad yet but it's coming !!!)

maseman

Craftsman
    I've got one of these, also on 6.5" wrist, and the thing I like the most is the slim case depth in comparison to other G-Shocks.

This one, and the squares (I have the GW-M5610BC-1JF), and to a lesser extent the basic G100, are really the only G-Shocks that work well for those of us with smaller wrists.

Master
    I have a problem with small hands on watches and it’s a deal breaker for me. This watch suffers with small hands, they could be a tad bigger. I don’t think the large hour markers helps either. Apart from that, it’s a nice new addition to the G line up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    That was what I thought, but I've found that accuracy for non-atomic is just as good, and battery life is strong anyway.

Have replaced all my G-Shocks with this now.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thought I’d take the plunge on one of these but seem to be sold out everywhere, a worldwide hit apparently. More than retail on eBay, eat your heart out Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Thought I’d take the plunge on one of these but seem to be sold out everywhere, a worldwide hit apparently. More than retail on eBay, eat your heart out Rolex!

Yep same here. Wonder how we get on the list??????? Maybe have to have good relationships with Casio AD

Little update on this; after a couple of weeks with the watch I’ve had to concede that, much as I like the aesthetic, it wasn’t for me. I coached then reffed a couple of kids footy games Saturday morning and, having been used to my DW5600 it was a bit of a pain using this - the small, negative LCD display (and the fact the hands were obscuring it for part of the matches) were a frustration when you just need at-a-glance checking.

I think if you’re someone that loves your G-Shocks, or just wants the watch for its design, then go for it as it’s a nice looking piece. If like me you just need one G-Shock in the colllection for robustness and practicality then there are better options for the money. My mate is into watches but has always been a G-Shock snob, but he fancied this one so I sold it to him for the £90 I paid, but if he doesn’t bond with it then I’ll have it back and stick it on SC. I’ve immediately reinvested the funds into the GW-M5610-1er which is basically the 5600 with added solar and atomic spec - a classic and much more suitable for my needs.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Quality Man;5321637]Thought I’d take the plunge on one of these but seem to be sold out everywhere, a worldwide hit apparently. More than retail on eBay, eat your heart out Rolex!

I've got the black/black version on back order with Jura at the moment. Apparently as of late last week the update from Casio UK is that they'll be shipping to stockists around March/April time.

Cheers

Ian

Journeyman
    Even all around Japan (including the small cities) the black version are sold out,most only have the LE (white with darker strap) and all red version

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Set up an alert on CamelCamelCamel so you get notified when Amazon (or any marketplace seller) has stock. That's what I did to get mine last year for < £80. These are always sold out, but stock comes through in a drip feed and they are usually back in stock just as quickly.

Since the page doesn't show up in Amazon search when it's out of stock, this is the link you want:

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Watch...uct/B07WDD3YW9 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WDD3YW9/)

Definitely a hype thing, like the Timex Q. Module wise this is a very basic G-Shock, and there is a definite lack of practicality with it as I’ve mentioned. People are buying into the whole ‘Casioak’ thing for sure.

Craftsman

Banned
    My Casioak and DW5600 said hi

Wear those bad boys in good heath.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Funny, no one wants those colours! Give people another run of black / stealth versions

Master
    Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about one of these! Certainly a wonderfully designed piece, and definite value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about one of these! Certainly a wonderfully designed piece, and definite value for money.
    Style over substance imho - I can’t rate a design where the lcd is almost impossible to use unless you have perfect vision and you’re sat in bright light! - the GA 800 is way more legible, standard black one has a fantastically clear lcd and even a second hand for the same sort of price!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Style over substance imho - I can’t rate a design where the lcd is almost impossible to use unless you have perfect vision and you’re sat in bright light! - the GA 800 is way more legible, standard black one has a fantastically clear lcd and even a second hand for the same sort of price!

Yeah I think style over substance is the best description. It boils down to what you want it for. If you want a cool looking, aesthetically pleasing G-Shock it’s worth £90, and it’s one for the collectors. Personally I have other watches for aesthetical reasons, my G-Shock needs to be highly practical, hence the decision to flip it for a different model.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Set up an alert on CamelCamelCamel so you get notified when Amazon (or any marketplace seller) has stock. That's what I did to get mine last year for < £80. These are always sold out, but stock comes through in a drip feed and they are usually back in stock just as quickly.

Since the page doesn't show up in Amazon search when it's out of stock, this is the link you want:

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Watch...uct/B07WDD3YW9 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WDD3YW9/)
    Thanks robt!

Craftsman
    Anyone looking for the GA-2100-1AER version (black with white hour markers), it's in stock at H Samuel now. Using code HSVCUK15 takes it down to £85.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Anyone looking for the GA-2100-1AER version (black with white hour markers), it's in stock at H Samuel now. Using code HSVCUK15 takes it down to £85.
    Ordered! Thanks a lot.

Banned
    Sold mine after about a week and only wearing it once. The small black LCD screen is bad design and it sat uncomfortably on my wrist. Prefer my DW5600 by far.

Master
    +1.

I have tried it and could not understand the hype. Ok.. it is small and thin for G-Shock so very comfortable.

Resin is soft and it looks flimsy, LCD is useless, quick change strap - for what?

Also irrtating bulb for light.

looked and felt like something from AliX.

If this is new basic Gshock line I hope they never discontinue DW5600.

Received mine yesterday and have to say I’m genuinely pleased, my first g-shock so wasn’t sure what to expect. Light, comfortable, aesthetically fantastic, well made and the perfect size for me, a brilliant holiday watch.

As an analogue device for telling the time its great, as a digital timer, well, with my eyesight the display might as well not be there!

A hit from me.

Looks good to me except for the day display.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    Looks really good, what's the depth like? Looking for something a little more low profile than your usual G-Shock.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

I love a G-Shock and have a fair few but ironically the Casioak looks too square to me, I'd prefer a square, if you know what I mean. Or the GA-800 range which although bulkier, has a better backlight, some additional features, I think a nicer display and above all a second hand, which hits the marks. It's also cheaper. Here's the GA-835.

Quote Originally Posted by neilm_83 View Post
    Looks really good, what's the depth like? Looking for something a little more low profile than your usual G-Shock.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Depth is good at 11.8mm, wears like a ‘normal’ watch and I would say it certainly suits people who wouldn’t normally be g-shock fans, probably why Casio are selling so many!

Yep as per below (or above) is a nice looking, tough analogue watch. The problem comes with its G-Shock functionality - if you’re not bothered about the practicality of using the digital display then it’s a decent watch for the money. If like me you need a G-Shock to be practical go for a GW-M5610 for the same money.

Craftsman
    You can get an aftermarket stainless steel case and bracelet for these on alibaba which look pretty cool !

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000553...uWYuQAeAypmCtQ

I saw The Dial Artist has done a fantastic job on few of these, personally I think they look superb

(photos from his website not my own which I hope isn’t a problem )

https://www.thedialartist.com

(OT - Man I would love to get a Speedy done by this guy!!)

I love the black gangstered-out version of these. Thanks for the link to camelcamelcamel, will stay on the look out for one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennersf View Post
    I saw The Dial Artist has done a fantastic job on few of these, personally I think they look superb

(photos from his website not my own which I hope isn’t a problem )

https://www.thedialartist.com

(OT - Man I would love to get a Speedy done by this guy!!)
    Fully agree. Really like the first one. Got a quote and it was not too bad. Just having a think about whether to order.

Slightly different look

Master
    Just a heads up that these are available on the G-Shock UK store again with 10% off if you sign up for the newsletter.

I've been fancying trying one for a while so looking forward to receiving mine next week.

https://g-shock.co.uk/ga-2100-1aer
    Last edited by Craig; 1st May 2020 at 13:40.

First ever G-shock.probably the only one.Bit mucky already!
    [img][img]