closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko quality control

Craftsman

Seiko quality control

I've never been a Seiko guy, but recently I've developed some sort of unfounded desire to own one which prompted me to visit an AD. I won't state who, but they were very accommodating and the experience was quite satisfying (apart from one thing). I selected 3 Prospex models to try on and all were lovely. The rubber straps were amongst the most comfortable I have worn (and this is coming from wearing brands at a much higher price point). However two out of the three watches I tried on had significantly misaligned dials which I pointed out to the sales lady and she agreed

Is this a common theme with Seikos, or have I just had a stroke of bad luck, because one model in particular I would probably have purchased there and then were it not for the QC issue?

The bezel issue is well known but dials?

It is common unfortunately. Misaligned chapter rings.

I would imagine with the amount they produce it is hard to check every one thoroughly.

Probably spot check one in so many of a batch in a big hurry.

Interestingly I had an Omega quarts and the second hand did not hit the markers, apparently it was common with the model. Unbelievable for Omega.

Blog Entries
    If the alignment is spot on then you have a problem

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Gives em character, who wants a perfect watch anyway?

Craftsman
    It is a very common fault with the brand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

How easy is it to realign a chapter ring?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Easy enough if you have a crystal press - remove crystal, put movement back into the case, a little dab of acrylic adhesive where the chapter ring sits then fit the chapter ring and carefully align with the dial.

The crux of the problem is that the machining of the case where the ring sits is too large, or the outer diameter of the ring is too small allowing for movement. Ideally there'd be slight friction on the ring as you press it into the case and it would sit in the exact same place every time but sloppy tolerances say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Easy enough if you have a crystal press - remove crystal, put movement back into the case, a little dab of acrylic adhesive where the chapter ring sits then fit the chapter ring and carefully align with the dial.

The crux of the problem is that the machining of the case where the ring sits is too large, or the outer diameter of the ring is too small allowing for movement. Ideally there'd be slight friction on the ring as you press it into the case and it would sit in the exact same place every time but sloppy tolerances say no.
    Thanks, just wondered if it was an easy/cheap thing to do for the watch the OP was looking at. Seems not.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I would imagine with the amount they produce it is hard to check every one thoroughly.

Probably spot check one in so many of a batch in a big hurry.

Interestingly I had an Omega quarts and the second hand did not hit the markers, apparently it was common with the model. Unbelievable for Omega.
    The second hand does not hit the markers on my quartz Omega either.

It doesn’t bother me one whit.

I don’t think it says anything about quality control and makes no difference to the efficiency of the watch.