closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 20k+ investment. Which watch?

20k+ investment. Which watch?

I have recently cashed in on an investment that has run its course, and I was about to buy into a index fund. But why not aquire the right watch instead. A lot more interesting, dont you think. But which watch? What would be the best way to go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tagesol View Post
    I have recently cashed in on an investment that has run its course, and I was about to buy into a index fund. But why not aquire the right watch instead. A lot more interesting, dont you think. But which watch? What would be the best way to go?

Vintage sports Rolex from a reliable source.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Don’t.

I'd rin a mile from watches as an investment currently. Bubble gonna pop. Unless you manage to get 2 SS Daytona at list youd be better off sticking it in a Vanguard Lifestrategy fund. Boring I know

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    For the love of God, stick with the index fund.

Craftsman

List

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'd rin a mile from watches as an investment currently. Bubble gonna pop. Unless you manage to get 2 SS Daytona at list youd be better off sticking it in a Vanguard Lifestrategy fund. Boring I know

As Ryan says, unless you are buying at list then put the money somewhere else. Nothing you are paying over list for is going to be true investment quality, the stainless steel bubble is on the downward and the days of £60k Nautilus or £16k Pepsi are not sustainable and if you are stupidly buying currently at the top market rate you might break even in twenty years or not!

Master
    Don't

Surely not a serious thread?

Not the answers I was hoping for, but I have lost enough on watches over the years. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Surely not a serious thread?

Yes, it was meant serious! Was your comment serious?

Master
    Blog Entries
    There are likely better investments but if watches are your thing, why not?
    For that money, I'd be looking at either one vintage SD (but this is a minefield) or spread it over a couple of newer models. Or 2 SD4000's?

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    As Ryan says, unless you are buying at list then put the money somewhere else. Nothing you are paying over list for is going to be true investment quality, the stainless steel bubble is on the downward and the days of £60k Nautilus or £16k Pepsi are not sustainable and if you are stupidly buying currently at the top market rate you might break even in twenty years or not!

Its a fair comment, however people were saying that when 5513 were a couple of grand and you could buy a 1675 for less than 3k. I bought a 16700 Pepsi full set (minter) for £6k two years ago now the year seem to be between £8 and £10k.

The markets are great if you want to long term bet at about 5% a year, but then Rolex prices were going up quicker than that. Plus you cannot wear a fund.

Depending on the OP's tax status and age, I would however serious consider putting it in a SIPP and getting a guaranteed 20% return (from the tax man). Or hookers and Coke

if you really want a Rolex then I would go for 4 or 5 digit references. The 16550 is still undervalued in my book, as are the tu-tone models.
    Last edited by Andyg; 6th February 2020 at 21:03.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    A nice A serial Stainless steel Zenith Daytona 16520 or second, a late black chromalight 116520 (2015) with bits and bobs, if you can find one. I would also agree on the SD 4000c as these will shoot up in price soon.

M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 7th February 2020 at 14:02.

Master
    I'd say that if you're happy to throw 20k at an investment based on some strangers advice, then chances are you're rich enough to have an expert financial advisor tell you what to do, including within the area of watches.

So I'd say an MX5.

If you can find a Vianney Halter Classic for £20k (probably closer to £22k or so) I'd go with that

Master
    There’s a Rolex bubble crash ongoing don’t you know?!

Obviously my rose gold Yachtmaster in SC. It's already £4k under list and only appreciating.

(Small print yada yada don't rely on anything I said etc yada yada)

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    There’s a Rolex bubble crash ongoing don’t you know?!
    Not in the vintage Rolex market.

I wouldn't advocate using a watch as an investment, but if that's what the OP is intent on doing, then I can't think of much else in that price range to "invest" in. They are not making these any more.

Going higher, you could get into rare, and out of production Pateks, etc.
    Last edited by Holsterman; 7th February 2020 at 01:53.

Yes, it was meant serious! Was your comment serious?

It just feels a little risky - outside of very specific Rolex models where are we seeing any reliable long term investment potential?

Unless of course you mean investment in non financial terms. I feel like the small number of watches I have are an investment in my happiness, for instance!

Craftsman
    Depending on your timeframe but an investment trust should outperform any watch unless you buy really lucky.

Assume you want to increase that 20k to 40 or 60K over say 10 years you have to ask yourself who is going to drop that sort of cash on one watch especially when you factor in media reports of watch thefts, bubbles popping in the far east and guaranteed recession within the next 5 years on the horizon.

All asset classes I think are at the top of the market at the moment and due correction but shares are a bit more liquid.

Could be talking bull but if I was determined to get one watch to speculate over 10 or 20 years I would buy a Rolex Milgauss.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post

I wouldn't advocate using a watch as an investment, but if that's what the OP is intent on doing, then I can't think of much else in that price range to "invest" in. They are not making these any more.

Not sure where you would find these rare collectible patek for around £20k. £20k would barely buy an entry level new patek not withstanding those micro 31mm Calatrava that nobody wants.

I recommend for your portfolio sir a chopard alpine eagle and a hublot Big Bang King Kong gold for special occasion (The value of your portfolio can go down and unlikely to go up).
    Last edited by ac11111; 7th February 2020 at 14:35.

Craftsman
    You should go with a 1996 Daytona unpolished if you can.
    Here is why based on some number crunching

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-2012-and-2018

Not sure where you would find these rare collectible patek for around £20k. £20k would barely buy an entry level new patek not withstanding those micro 31mm Calatrava that nobody wants.
    It's £20k+, so that would depend on the +.

I fully get the OPs position. It would be great to put money in something you enjoy and I believe the risk can be offset by the enjoyment.

I would say good condition 5 digit SS Rolex with B&P is the way to go here.

I think you get get a sub, exp, and exp ii trio for that budget with B&P.

Should easy to cash out when the time comes.

Master
    Just can’t see you losing money on a good quality 4 digit Rolex, buy the best you can find/afford put it away for a couple of years only wearing it on high days and holidays and there is no way you will be out of pocket and you can sleep happy knowing you own a beautiful piece of Rolex history.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post

Got told by an individual at Bonhams that Daytona’s have bottomed out same with some other vintage pieces

Blog Entries
    If you want a watch and can afford it, buy it and wear it.

If you want a safe investment see the Pru.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Got told by an individual at Bonhams that Daytona’s have bottomed out same with some other vintage pieces
    I guess this means they've hit the bottom of the market, and are now going up?

Blog Entries
    Has the ‘Rolex bubble’ burst yet? ;-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I would do both, £10k on a watch that is going to have good solid future demand and £10k into a Vanguard policy, regarding the watch it has to be something you really want though so you can enjoy it as well as seeing it as an investment.

Master
    20k a year invested at 4% a year gives a grand sum of 29k back over 10 years if you are lucky. In the mean time you have no watch to enjoy and it’s ultra boring and 9k return in the grand scheme of things does not change your life or retirement plans.

If you buy fairly well you can get 29k back anyway from a watch(es).

Master
    My immediate reaction would be don't!

If you want an investment buy equities, if you want a watch, buy a watch.

In fact I followed my own advice, although without the intended short term outcome. I sold a whole bunch of Rolex sports the other year:

• The Rolexes would now be worth c.20% more than I sold them for.
    • I put the proceeds into Neil Woodford funds and Panerai.
    • Panerai are probably down 15% and the Woodford funds down 25% and 33% so far.

The upside is that I'm loving Panerai (have given up on Rolex completely), and the funds were in a SIPP, so every 60p became 100p, before I then lost a third of the value. I hope one day the investments will make up the lost ground, but overall £ for £ I'm evens because I put the investment element into my pension, and whether I would have gained staying in Rolex or not doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

In fact I followed my own advice, although without the intended short term outcome. I sold a whole bunch of Rolex sports the other year:

The upside is that I'm loving Panerai (have given up on Rolex completely), and the funds were in a SIPP, so every 60p became 100p, before I then lost a third of the value. I hope one day the investments will make up the lost ground, but overall £ for £ I'm evens because I put the investment element into my pension, and whether I would have gained staying in Rolex or not doesn't really matter.
    Sorry to hear that, all investments whether material or numbers always have a "what if" scenario, I plan on investing in some form of Vanguard policy soon but I have watches that I'll keep and hopefully they will increase too.

Hopefully your's comes good soon, talking of Panerai, why have they become out of fashion in the last few years, at one time it was thee brand to have?

20k a year invested at 4% a year gives a grand sum of 29k back over 10 years if you are lucky. In the mean time you have no watch to enjoy and it’s ultra boring and 9k return in the grand scheme of things does not change your life or retirement plans.

If you buy fairly well you can get 29k back anyway from a watch(es).
    Average us returns on S&P are 10%. After inflation and fees that's 7%. UK index is much lower due to more banks etc being in the FTSE and more tech companies making up the US index.

Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sorry to hear that, all investments whether material or numbers always have a "what if" scenario, I plan on investing in some form of Vanguard policy soon but I have watches that I'll keep and hopefully they will increase too.

Hopefully your's comes good soon, talking of Panerai, why have they become out of fashion in the last few years, at one time it was thee brand to have?
    Thanks. Not a problem I have other shares that have done well. To be honest I'm more irritated with the other shareholders of the Woodford fund, as the object was 'value' investing over time, yet there's now a firesale of assets to fund withdrawals. Ironic that a collective scheme turns out to be less flexible for managing personal risk appetite.

Ryan - love your comment about the free ride around the sun :)

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

I guess your middle name is not Lucky.

Apprentice
    If you can manage to get a list price Rolex that would work but hard to come by.
    As others have said like stocks and shares there will be some risk with certain watches. Buy one you like wear it and enjoy it if you break even on it in future or profit that's a bonus.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Glad I didn't take this advice when I bought all my subs!.And also glad I've kept them all too👍😉💰