closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dopey thread re petrol pump ocd

Master

Dopey thread re petrol pump ocd

Just a bit o fun so don't flame me.
    When filling up I like to see a nice round £ number like £40 and usually even numbers £42, £44 etc, I don't like odds fsr.
    However lately I can't seem to achieve my goal as the readout gets close and I'm inching it veeeery slowwwwly, £39.95.96.97.98.99 then the bastard clicks to £40.01. This keeps happening and I'm wondering if the fuel stations are trying to cash in on peoples ocd by rigging the pumps so we have to put another quids worth in

I don't pay them the 1p hahaha. I say well I only have £40. They ALWAYS say its fine but then I don't live in a City where people are not so nice I would imagine

Master
    Back in the days when I used to pay for petrol with cash, I'd keep a tin of loose change in the car for those £20.01 moments. Eventually I started using it as a method to get rid of loose change - I'd pay for £15.86 of petrol, for example, to get rid of £0.86 of change I had lying around. I'd always take an extra 10p in case I overshot.

I guess you are a fully paid up member of the RTZ club?
    F.T.F.A.

I used to when I paid cash but now the number doesn't matter with pre-pay pumps, just fill it up and go.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    No idea what that is

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    No idea what that is
    They were a gang of pedants who roamed these parts some years ago, forever cursed to grasp the bezels of dive watches and...... Return To Zero. Some were rumoured to also belong to the BASC.
    F.T.F.A.

There was a sketch on Not the nine o'clock news I think, where the person in the petrol station flicked a switch to add the penny on.

It might be because fuel is so expensive these days that 1p of fuel is a gnats chuff so registers easily.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I used to when I paid cash but now the number doesn't matter with pre-pay pumps, just fill it up and go.
    Yep, keep the nozzle running until it cuts off.

In the days of paying cash, I knew a guy who only put in £1's worth at a time as he reckoned he got more MPG due to less weight! I reckon he was just tight.
    Last edited by Griswold; 6th February 2020 at 19:18.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    They were a gang of pedants who roamed these parts some years ago, forever cursed to grasp the bezels of dive watches and...... Return To Zero. Some were rumoured to also belong to the BASC.
    No idea what that is

(Yes I do I was in it )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    There was a sketch on Not the nine o'clock news I think, where the person in the petrol station flicked a switch to add the penny on.
    I bet they actually do that

I ride a Vespa, and two-wheelers are required to prepay in Paris. So I prepay 10 Euros (a tankfull) and the pump shuts off automatically at exactly that amount. It certainly makes my accounts easier at the end of the year as I have a big bundle of receipts all for 10 Euros.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow... real world problems!!!. If that’s all the OP has to worry about I’d suggest he’s living his best life for sure.

OP: can you manage to drive on cruise control, letting it stay on a speed like 61? In summer.... Can you crack both front windows open a bit.... And havre them off balance?

( I can't! )

Master
    I filled up this morning at Tescos and you can set the pump to cut off at any amount that you programme.

Master
    Here we go

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    OP: can you manage to drive on cruise control, letting it stay on a speed like 61?

( I can't! )
    Now that's interesting. When I go through road works with average speed, say 50, I always set the cruise at 51.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I ride a Vespa, and two-wheelers are required to prepay in Paris. So I prepay 10 Euros (a tankfull) and the pump shuts off automatically at exactly that amount. It certainly makes my accounts easier at the end of the year as I have a big bundle of receipts all for 10 Euros.
    Back in the day when i used to total up my fuel receipts i always aimed for an exact amount for this very reason.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I always manage to get it bang on .00. But, then, I'm young-ish with good hand-eye coordination.

I stop at whole litres. How can you put 37.46 litres in?? Not possible. Stop at 37 or go on to 38. Very occasionally I allow myself to stop on half a litre boundary but I don't make a habit of it. Terrible at leaving hotel rooms at the end of the stay as well. OCD kicks in hard, how many times do I have to check the bathroom to make sure I've left nothing aargh.

I`ve noticed on a few occasions recently that when you`re nearing the point at which you want to stop filling and are watching the pump display with a barely-there pressure on the pump handle, the digits instead of increasing by steady increments of 1p suddenly become variable and start to fluctuate between 1p and 2p!
    Would i be cynical to suggest this behaviour has been programmed-in to catch motorists out and encourage them fill up to the next full pound..?

Dopey thread re petrol pump ocd

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    I`ve noticed on a few occasions recently that when you`re nearing the point at which you want to stop filling and are watching the pump display with a barely-there pressure on the pump handle, the digits instead of increasing by steady increments of 1p suddenly become variable and start to fluctuate between 1p and 2p!
    Would i be cynical to suggest this behaviour has been programmed-in to catch motorists out and encourage them fill up to the next full pound..?
    What’s the point? They’ll come in less often, won’t use more fuel.

I don’t round up any other spending i do, “ i just need to pop back to find something for 37p” ... tin of beans maybe? I’m sure the credit card doesn’t care either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had this happen but do tend to round to the nearest whole pound just for a challenge sometimes I do it to the litre but normally i fill up until the tank is full....

I try to stop on the full £20 but the test is not to slow down and just stop it dead

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I try to stop on the full £20 but the test is not to slow down and just stop it dead
    I would love to have the blood pressure monitor on when I try that

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I would love to have the blood pressure monitor on when I try that

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Similar to tape measure pontoon!

I was the same. Now I fill to max level, whatever it is. If Krypton Factor came back, this should be a challenge.

Master
    I stick the nozzle in and fill till it clicks off, go in and pay, staff often asks is that £****, I have say if that’s pump whatever it will be, fuel too expensive to pay attention to the cost, if you need it you have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    I stick the nozzle in and fill till it clicks off, go in and pay, staff often asks is that £****, I have say if that’s pump whatever it will be, fuel too expensive to pay attention to the cost, if you need it you have to pay.
    Best way.

You should be able to set a price and just fill until you reach it, like you do in European unmanned 24hr petrol stations. It’s a pain in the arse with old style pumps
    It's just a matter of time...

I can remember a time when I might only have a tenner in my wallet and would get to 9.99 and then it'd jump to 10.01...

They've always done it, I reckon, it's a forecourt attendant's in joke, I I suspect...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Do many people really pay by cash now? Never noticed many/any when I'm at the till.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I can remember a time when I might only have a tenner in my wallet and would get to 9.99 and then it'd jump to 10.01...

They've always done it, I reckon, it's a forecourt attendant's in joke, I I suspect...

M

I remember when I had £10 in my wallet and it filled the tank

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    I remember when I had £10 in my wallet and it filled the tank
    Indeed, but it'd still click to 10.01!

M

Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Best way.

You should be able to set a price and just fill until you reach it, like you do in European unmanned 24hr petrol stations. It’s a pain in the arse with old style pumps
    You can at our local Tesco, don’t about the recently revamped Asda it’s an auto unmanned set up that I haven’t used. No super unleaded.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I don't pay them the 1p hahaha. I say well I only have £40. They ALWAYS say its fine but then I don't live in a City where people are not so nice I would imagine
    I can't help but see the irony in this post...

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I like a random amount to pay each time. I was once double charged for a fuel fill and it was easy to spot because of this.
    Maybe a bit odd but there you go.

Master
    Is the ceo of Sainsbury a member here? That's twice now I've hit the .00