closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: Speedmaster trouble, advice?

  1. #1
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34

    Speedmaster trouble, advice?

    Hello*all,

    Recently bought a speedmaster 3570.50 off ebay was described as not holding a charge, lasts 8 hours, but everything else is fine...

    Anyway I've received the watch, and doesn't seem to hold charge for even 20 minutes, also pressed the chronograph button, chrono worked, then stopped the chrono, went to press the reset chrono pusher... didn't snap back, pusher doesn't click, and get no reset.
    Go to start the chronograph again and now the chrono start doesn't work pusher seems jammed and doesn't even want to push in, moves a*little bit, but that's all.

    Anyway, getting to the point, I'm in fear that this is obviously going to cost a lot more than expected.. didn't mind getting it serviced.. but now I'm really worried as this is my first 'premium watch' and got a good deal on it (probably to good to be true in retrospect)

    Just wondering if anyone has any idea of what the problem may be, and also how much a independent might charge to fix it, also if omega set service price of £630 includes all inner mechanical parts? (Common sense says probably not..)

    Thanks for all the help in advance

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,013
    Can you not return it as faulty under Paypal?

    Thatís what I would be doing and then looking at getting a different watch, preferably one I could examine before parting with any money.

  3. #3
    How much did you pay for it if you donít mind sharing? Unless it was very cheap I would be looking to return it for a refund.
    If this isnít an option then the service will get it ticking again but I canít help with the price.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    If itís the one Iíve just looked at on ebay it does look like a very good price. Iíd probably let Omega quote for the service/repair before deciding. Could still be quids in.

  5. #5
    Master Xantiagib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    2,547
    sounds like the mainspring has gone - does the crown keep winding and doesn't offer the resistance you would expect towards the end of a full wind?
    to replace it would mean full chrono service anyway so not cheap but worth it
    Duncan at genesis did mine for the same thing, mainspring went, can't remember what it cost but was less than £630 thats for sure
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 6th February 2020 at 12:33.

  6. #6
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Hello,

    Cost me £1320 with original box and all card etc
    So I'm thinking a repair is well worth it?

    Just abit panicked as I'm thinking is it going to cost £1000+ to repair potentially?

    Obviously not experienced in watch mechanics etc, hence why I'm asking for help

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  7. #7
    Just seen the eBay listing. £1400 seems like a good price. One in good condition would be at least £2500 so even with the service costs you will be quids in.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,263
    You could save a fair bit by using an independent watchmaker. Several on here that are very trusted.

  9. #9
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    sounds like the mainspring has gone - does the crown keep winding and doesn't offer the resistance you would expect towards the end of a full wind?
    to replace it would mean full chrono service anyway so not cheap but worth it
    Duncan at genesis did mine for the same thing, mainspring went, can't remember what it cost but was less than £630 thats for sure
    Hello,

    I wound it for about 5 minutes and it didn't ever come to a stop.. it did gain resist, but not enough to make you think you should stop winding.

    Also noticed that if I move watch side to side the chronograph hand will move either side about 2 seconds? If I shake the watch that is.

    Also watch stops ticking, but when i pull the crown out it starts again, it also has an audible tick tock from about 6 inches away, not sure if this is the norm


    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #10
    Master RustyBin5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Scotland central
    Posts
    8,120
    Repair by omega prob £600 ish still a good deal. You could still return it under Ebay rules as the faults are different from the ones the seller disclosed

  11. #11
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Think I will keep it, does the £630 omega service include all movement parts? Or will I be possibly hit with expensive parts bill on top?

    Thanks for replies so far

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  12. #12
    Grand Master JasonM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    13,247
    It doesnít sound like mainspring, just book it for a full service at Omega or a trusted independent and take it from there.
    Cheers..
    Jase

  13. #13
    Master Xantiagib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Hello,

    I wound it for about 5 minutes and it didn't ever come to a stop.. it did gain resist, but not enough to make you think you should stop winding.

    Also noticed that if I move watch side to side the chronograph hand will move either side about 2 seconds? If I shake the watch that is.

    Also watch stops ticking, but when i pull the crown out it starts again, it also has an audible tick tock from about 6 inches away, not sure if this is the norm


    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app
    Definately the mainspring then..... try Duncan @ Genesiswatchmaking
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 6th February 2020 at 13:06.

  14. #14
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,279
    OP doesn’t state how old the watch is.

    If a hand- wound watch winds for 5 minutes there’s something broken and the mainspring is the likely candidate! Basically, it was cheap because its faulty, depending on the condition and other factors I’d look for a few £ back from the seller or get a refund.

    I’ve worked on a few of these, they’re pretty robust. There’s a good chance this needs stripping and servicing, with a new mainspring fitted, and it’ll be fine. Depending on the age it might need the pusher seals and crown seal replacing.

    As stated, there are alternatives to paying what Omega charge.

    I’m not offering to get involved, too much other stuff taking my time up thesedays. The OP isn’t exactly a forum regular either.

    Edit: The advert stated the watch wasn’t ‘holding charge’.......not exactly the terminology to use when referring to a hand- wound watch but the watch us clearly been sold as faulty so I can’t see how the OP has grounds for complaint.

    The cost to service this will range from under £200 if it only needs a mainspring and seals, to £600+ with Omega.

    Is the watch a good buy at the money?.....not enough info to form a judgement, even if buying as a ‘fixer upper’ . If the dial, hands, case, bezel and bracelet are OK, albeit in need of refinishing, the watch could still be a good buy, but buying faulty watches is best left to the folks who know about these things.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th February 2020 at 13:25.

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Somerset (U.k )
    Posts
    10,307
    I would second Duncan at Genesis as a previous happy customer, along with many here.

    His site quotes £455 for a speedmaster service which includes new crystal and crown. I believe a mainspring is a standard replacement part for a service.
    Cheers,

    Ben



    ..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers


    " an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

  16. #16
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OP doesnít state how old the watch is.

    If a hand- wound watch winds for 5 minutes thereís something broken and the mainspring is the likely candidate! Basically, it was cheap because its faulty, depending on the condition and other factors Iíd look for a few £ back from the seller or get a refund.

    Iíve worked on a few of these, theyíre pretty robust. Thereís a good chance this needs stripping and servicing, with a new mainspring fitted, and itíll be fine. Depending on the age it might need the pusher seals and crown seal replacing.

    As stated, there are alternatives to paying what Omega charge.

    Iím not offering to get involved, too much other stuff taking my time up thesedays. The OP isnít exactly a forum regular either.
    Hello,

    Sorry age is 2005, is it likely to be main spring contributing to the chronograph not working and also not resetting to?

    Also I knew it needed a service, just didn't know it had this many problems, was simply stated it doesn't hold power reserve, only lasts for about 8 hours, everything else I was told was okay

    Would attach photos of the watch but not sure how you resize them

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    England
    Posts
    563
    Pay Omega to do it, Iíd think their service price includes standard replacement movement parts.

    Youíll get a Speedy with Omega service for £2k. Thatís still excellent.

  18. #18
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    18,279
    If the movement's not running I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the chrono functions.

    A 2005 watch is still a relative youngster, luminova lumed hands is an advantage should replacements be needed (unlikely, but the chrono hand can pull apart during removal).

    Brendan (Webwatchmaker) might fancy this job, if I wasn`t committed on other projects I`d take it on and you'd have change out of £200 unless it needed parts, but you wouldn't get the warm feeling that goes with having new pushers, a new crown and handset. I replace the seals in crowns and pushers, thus keeping the original parts with the watch and avoiding unnecessary expense.

    I can`t see how the seller's at fault here given the fact that he sold the watch as faulty.

    Subject to seeing the cosmetic condition I may be interested in buying it as a fixer upper myself to sell on with a guarantee. I don`t get involved with the older tritium lumed versions, nothing wrong with the watches, it's the owners that are too anal about them for me. If the hands get damaged during removal (unlikely, but it happens) replacement luminova items can be fitted......but this upsets the tritium brigade so I won't touch 'em, I don`t need the stress.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,349
    Hopefully it's nothing more sinister as the eBay seller could've just done the same and sold for market price.

    But glad lots of forum stalwarts have chipped in. Sounds like it should be fairly straightforward to put back. Do keep us update how this ends up.

  20. #20
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the movement's not running I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the chrono functions.

    A 2005 watch is still a relative youngster, luminova lumed hands is an advantage should replacements be needed (unlikely, but the chrono hand can pull apart during removal).

    Brendan (Webwatchmaker) might fancy this job, if I wasn`t committed on other projects I`d take it on and you'd have change out of £200 unless it needed parts, but you wouldn't get the warm feeling that goes with having new pushers, a new crown and handset. I replace the seals in crowns and pushers, thus keeping the original parts with the watch and avoiding unnecessary expense.

    I can`t see how the seller's at fault here given the fact that he sold the watch as faulty.

    Subject to seeing the cosmetic condition I may be interested in buying it as a fixer upper myself to sell on with a guarantee. I don`t get involved with the older tritium lumed versions, nothing wrong with the watches, it's the owners that are too anal about them for me. If the hands get damaged during removal (unlikely, but it happens) replacement luminova items can be fitted......but this upsets the tritium brigade so I won't touch 'em, I don`t need the stress.
    Hello,

    Sorry I don't believe the seller is at fault, abit of a misleading description as far as the problems listed, but I'm happy to keep the watch and pay for a service, was just worried that the costs may add up on parts, as I say I'm not sure how watches work in terms of servicing (my first premium watch)

    I kind of was liking it to a car, if it was sold as needing a clutch but then needed new head gaskets that you didn't know about, you'd have to pay for them both to get fixed and the parts to fix them+labour

    Wasnt sure if it was the same in the watch world (would have to pay for main spring, then all the other bits to fix the chronograph) and I was fearing it could mount up to an amount more towards £1000

    Thanks for everyone's replies, has put me at easy now

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #21
    Master IVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I can`t see how the seller's at fault here given the fact that he sold the watch as faulty.
    No one has accused the seller of anything. The OP has just asked for advice on the service, which you have kindly provided.

    OP - I'd send it to a good independent for an assessment and go from there. You won't be on the hook for the repair bill (possibly an assessment fee) until you agree to go ahead with the work required.

  22. #22
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Hopefully it's nothing more sinister as the eBay seller could've just done the same and sold for market price.

    But glad lots of forum stalwarts have chipped in. Sounds like it should be fairly straightforward to put back. Do keep us update how this ends up.
    Hello,

    Will definitely keep you all update!
    Supposedly the buyer is the owner from new, he says it's never been serviced to, if that helps.


    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  23. #23
    I donít really see the issue here as the watch was listed as clearly needing a service. OP you got a bargain

  24. #24
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    I donít really see the issue here as the watch was listed as clearly needing a service. OP you got a bargain
    Hello,

    Sorry, think my original post may be abit misleading, I'm fine with the seller and item.

    The point of the post was more to get an idea if I bought something that is going to need a major overhaul with the costs of parts costing me alot more than anticipated, so was more just to get an idea of cost and if omega cover this all under there set price, or if I'd still be better off going independent.

    Everyone's post of been brilliant so far, so thanks all.

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,013
    Given what we know now, I would send it off to Omega for a service.

    It will come back working perfectly and looking like new.

  26. #26
    Master Onelasttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Everywhere, yet nowhere...
    Posts
    7,540
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    Given what we know now, I would send it off to Omega for a service.

    It will come back working perfectly and looking like new.
    With a two-year warranty to boot

  27. #27
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the movement's not running I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the chrono functions.

    A 2005 watch is still a relative youngster, luminova lumed hands is an advantage should replacements be needed (unlikely, but the chrono hand can pull apart during removal).

    Brendan (Webwatchmaker) might fancy this job, if I wasn`t committed on other projects I`d take it on and you'd have change out of £200 unless it needed parts, but you wouldn't get the warm feeling that goes with having new pushers, a new crown and handset. I replace the seals in crowns and pushers, thus keeping the original parts with the watch and avoiding unnecessary expense.

    I can`t see how the seller's at fault here given the fact that he sold the watch as faulty.

    Subject to seeing the cosmetic condition I may be interested in buying it as a fixer upper myself to sell on with a guarantee. I don`t get involved with the older tritium lumed versions, nothing wrong with the watches, it's the owners that are too anal about them for me. If the hands get damaged during removal (unlikely, but it happens) replacement luminova items can be fitted......but this upsets the tritium brigade so I won't touch 'em, I don`t need the stress.
    Hello,

    Sorry paul tried to PM you but your inbox is full

    Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

  28. #28
    Master MFB Scotland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,344
    Blog Entries
    1
    If I was you I would goto to Omega for a full service.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    1,198
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I would second Duncan at Genesis as a previous happy customer, along with many here.

    His site quotes £455 for a speedmaster service which includes new crystal and crown. I believe a mainspring is a standard replacement part for a service.
    I concur with this. Genesis will do an excellent job with a bit more of the personal touch than youíll get from Omega IMO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    I concur with this. Genesis will do an excellent job with a bit more of the personal touch than youíll get from Omega IMO.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have never had any complaints about the service received from Omega Service Centre. You can phone them up and discuss any concerns/issues you may have with your watch.

    A major benefit I have found is that they will send you a service pack whereby you can send the watch to them, fully insured, for service/repair. I wish Rolex did this, when I had my Sub serviced it was a 50 mile round trip to the AD each time to take it in and collect it afterwards.

  31. #31
    Master Webwatchmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Posts
    2,444
    Brendan (Webwatchmaker) might fancy this job, if I wasn`t committed on other projects I`d take it on and you'd have change out of £200 unless it needed parts, but you wouldn't get the warm feeling that goes with having new pushers, a new crown and handset. I replace the seals in crowns and pushers, thus keeping the original parts with the watch and avoiding unnecessary expense.

    Thanks for the heads up Paul, I have serviced 5 Speedmasters the last month. I charge £325.00 on average which includes replacement of all necessary parts and of course a 2 year guarantee.

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information