timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screwdrivers

Journeyman

Screwdrivers

I after a set of screwdrivers.Has anybody used these
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOROTEC-0...wAAOSwpQ1azGHl

Grand Master
    I use the boxed set (French) from Gleaves. Replacement blades are around £4.50 for a set of 10. The boxed set comes with 2 spares for each size.
    https://gleave.london/tools/screwdrivers/

If they're good enough for me to use on movement work I think you'll find they're OK! I`ve never seen any point spending more. Possibly a set of hollow-ground blades would be useful, they fit the screwheads better.

Suggest you get yourself a flat fine diamond file for sharpening and redressing, ideal if the blade is too fine and needs broadening out. The purists will use a stone for this task!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I use the boxed set (French) from Gleaves. Replacement blades are around £4.50 for a set of 10. The boxed set comes with 2 spares for each size.

If they're good enough for me to use on movement work I think you'll find they're OK! I`ve never seen any point spending more. Possibly a set of hollow-ground blades would be useful, they fit the screwheads better.

Suggest you get yourself a flat fine diamond file for sharpening and redressing, ideal if the blade is too fine and needs broadening out. The purists will use a stone for this task!
    Ill check them out

Journeyman

do they have ball bearing swivel action on the top piece of the screwdriver handle.
    Cheers

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bally796 View Post
    do they have ball bearing swivel action on the top piece of the screwdriver handle.
    Cheers
    No, but why do you think you need it? I can’t see the point, I can spend the extra money a lot better on other tools.

If you plan on using them a lot, take my advice and buy either a flat fine diamond file or a stone for dressing the blades, or buy a pack of hollow- ground blades for the smaller sizes.

Suggest you have a look on the Cousins website and see what’s available, but I don’t think you’ll beat the set from Gleaves as a starter. Alternatively you could buy individual sizes, depending on what you have in mind.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th February 2020 at 17:32.

Journeyman
    No, but why do you think you need it? I can’t see the point, I can spend the extra money a lot better on other tools.

If you plan on using them a lot, take my advice and buy either a flat fine diamond file or a stone for dressing the blades, or buy a pack of hollow- ground blades for the smaller sizes.

Suggest you have a look on the Cousins website and see what’s available, but I don’t think you’ll beat the set from Gleaves as a starter. Alternatively you could buy individual sizes, depending on what you have in mind.
    I'm thinking of purchasing a poctet watch something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avia-Pock...53.m1438.l2649
    to strip and rebuild if i can .

I have been looking at screwdrivers for a while, needed some decent ones for work, picked some up last weekend.

I went with Bergeron set of 10 in a box, the SS ergo ones new style and a set of 5 Bergeron Phillips ones from HS Walsh.
    Not top of the Bergeron price range, perfect for what I needed.

Good company to deal with, the tools are top quality and in use really good.

I have been using cheap ones, all I could afford at the time, but they were not great.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 8th February 2020 at 11:55.

Grand Master
    I'm thinking of purchasing a poctet watch something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avia-Pock...53.m1438.l2649
    to strip and rebuild if i can .
    If you get into this work there are lots of things you'll need to spend money on, even to set up a basic capability will cost a few hundred pounds. All hobbies cost money, that's the best way to look at it. Think about a work area, lighting, magnifiers, cleaning solutions, oils......the list goes on. If you get yourself the screwdrivers I recommended from Gleaves that'll be a good start without spending too much. You'll need a green 0.5mm screwdriver if you progress to wristwatches, that's not included in the set, but Cousins list them separately.

I started off working on a tray on the dining room table, but that was after I`d been on the BHI Basic Mechanical watch course so I knew what I was trying to do.

Journeyman
    If you get into this work there are lots of things you'll need to spend money on, even to set up a basic capability will cost a few hundred pounds. All hobbies cost money, that's the best way to look at it. Think about a work area, lighting, magnifiers, cleaning solutions, oils......the list goes on. If you get yourself the screwdrivers I recommended from Gleaves that'll be a good start without spending too much. You'll need a green 0.5mm screwdriver if you progress to wristwatches, that's not included in the set, but Cousins list them separately.

I started off working on a tray on the dining room table, but that was after I`d been on the BHI Basic Mechanical watch course so I knew what I was trying to do.
    This is what i have at present
    https://s1132.photobucket.com/user/b...?sort=3&page=1

Journeyman
    Also what tweezers would you recommend? some are a hell of a price ie Dumont. Is there cheaper out there or would that be a false economy?

Horotech made great tools but look for hollow ground screwdrivers.

I made this post about it:

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/bvsm.htm

Craftsman

I followed this advice and bought one of these sets late last years. For the money they are a great set....I cant see the point in spending more they are more than I'll ever need!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by P4u1 View Post
    I followed this advice and bought one of these sets late last year. For the money, they are a great set....I cant see the point in spending more they are more than I'll ever need!!
    I'm going to get them{ following the advice of walkerwek1958} and have a go at grinding them. I have a set of hollow-ground gunsmith screwdriver which fit the screws perfect
    Last edited by bally796; 8th February 2020 at 16:29.

Journeyman
    Also what tweezers would you recommend? some are a hell of a price ie Dumont. Is there cheaper out there or would that be a false economy?
    Any cheaper ones?

Grand Master
    Dumont tweezers are the best. However, the ones I use for 95% of my work aren’t Dumont, I bought them from A. G. Thomas in Bradford 10 years ago, they’re marked ‘AA’, have to admit I don’t know any more about them other than the fact that they’re good quality. I’ve redressed the the tips several times, I’d gate to have to replace them, like an old pair of comfy shoes they’re irreplaceable.

I have some very fine Dumonts that cost around £30. I wanted a second set in the same size but didn’t want to spend £30 so I bought a cheap set from Cousins. After some work with a stone to thin them down and generally improve them they worked OK, but they’re stiffer to operate than the Dumonts and they don’t gave the same feel.

Make no mistake, you can spend a lot of money on quality watch tools. However, the biggest investment is in your own skill level, either by paying for training or spending many hours learning and teaching yourself. You can but all the fancy tools you like but you can’t buy skill, it has to be earned the hard way.

Master

I use oil stones but only because I've picked up a few full and bits of them through 45 years in engineering.

Journeyman
    Dumont tweezers are the best. However, the ones I use for 95% of my work aren’t Dumont, I bought them from A. G. Thomas in Bradford 10 years ago, they’re marked ‘AA’, have to admit I don’t know any more about them other than the fact that they’re good quality. I’ve redressed the the tips several times, I’d gate to have to replace them, like an old pair of comfy shoes they’re irreplaceable.

I have some very fine Dumonts that cost around £30. I wanted a second set in the same size but didn’t want to spend £30 so I bought a cheap set from Cousins. After some work with a stone to thin them down and generally improve them they worked OK, but they’re stiffer to operate than the Dumonts and they don’t gave the same feel.

Make no mistake, you can spend a lot of money on quality watch tools. However, the biggest investment is in your own skill level, either by paying for training or spending many hours learning and teaching yourself. You can but all the fancy tools you like but you can’t buy skill, it has to be earned the hard way.
    looks like thier still going
    https://www.agtshop.co.uk/product/29...omic-no-2.html

Grand Master
    Certainly are, I drive over to buy my cleaning fluids, a 50 mike round trip . Like stepping back in time, a real old- school materials dealer.

Craftsman
    Is it 1.4 or 1.6mm needed to resize Rolex sports bracelets

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Horotech made great tools but look for hollow ground screwdrivers.

I made this post about it:

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/bvsm.htm
    Christ that Screwdriver Sharpener is expensive