closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: £115k Breguet stolen in Mayfair mugging

£115k Breguet stolen in Mayfair mugging

Seems the thieves are not getting any less bold in their acts.
    https://apple.news/AkgwKqQsNQ2GYO-xp3ywepQ
    in case apple link doesn’t work for all

Blog Entries
    Terrible incident, but this happened in June last year, why is it only being reported now or is it a slow day in newsville? Given how much money flows through Mayfair on a daily basis you'd expect to hear about more of this kind of stuff. I work round the corner and never bat an eyelid, should probably do so going forward

£115k Breguet stolen in Mayfair mugging

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Terrible incident, but this happened in June last year, why is it only being reported now or is it a slow day in newsville?
    Not sure - didn’t realize it was June. It’s on this mornings newsfeed. Strange. Article says police released the cctv footage today so I guess they are trying to breathe life into the investigation as they have got nowhere so far.

Nonetheless shocking.

Master
    Given the story recently on here from Mike Wood then Mayfair/Knightsbridge is probably fertile ground for these people and not a crime for which they may get caught.

Master
    Criminals are obviously getting smarter. I would have thought something like a Breguet would be so far under the radar of most people when it came to brand recognition, that it wouldn't attract unwelcome attention. What other brands are they starting to get clued up about?

Craftsman
    Horrible I hope the victim is ok and had insurance, sadly I expect they won’t be caught...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Seems the thieves are not getting any less bold in their acts.
    https://apple.news/AkgwKqQsNQ2GYO-xp3ywepQ
    in case apple link doesn’t work for all
    This is terrible. Lesson we all know too well is that you’re never totally safe. Always be fully insured and give up your watch if threatened with a knife / gun or outnumbered.

Life too short and plenty of watches out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I would have thought something like a Breguet would be so far under the radar of most people when it came to brand recognition, that it wouldn't attract unwelcome attention. What other brands are they starting to get clued up about?
    Must say that was my first thought, i.e. that a Breguet would paradoxically have been much safer than a Rolex.

High-end watches are fine to wear where I live, Rolexes galore, but if I'm going to a big city like London, it's always the Seiko which gets worn. Simply not worth the risk of a physical assault, let alone the value lost.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Must say that was my first thought, i.e. that a Breguet would paradoxically have been much safer than a Rolex.
    Agreed but I suppose it depends if they’re clocked him coming out of the Breguet store on New Bond St with a big Breguet bag under his arm? Definitely have to cover up in London these days... no T-shirts. Sad.

Master
    This makes grim reading: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...7a8e72f157d77d

Apparently the tactic of knife gangs is to ‘slash the elbow tendons to paralyse the arm’ so the watch can be stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Agreed but I suppose it depends if they’re clocked him coming out of the Breguet store on New Bond St with a big Breguet bag under his arm? Definitely have to cover up in London these days... no T-shirts. Sad.
    Not a Breguet, but couple of times I’ve bought an Omega wish hadn’t given me a big red bag to take home on tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not a Breguet, but couple of times I’ve bought an Omega wish hadn’t given me a big red bag to take home on tube.
    I even get edgy coming out of Goldsmiths with a bag of theirs. I always take a supermarket bag to put it all in

The article in the Times indicates that he had attended an event hosted by Breguet. Was probably tracked when leaving.

Journeyman
    I even get edgy coming out of Goldsmiths with a bag of theirs. I always take a supermarket bag to put it all in
    I did the exact same, comes to something when you have to take these kind of measures don't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    When I went to London to pick up my ST2, the sales lady told me to be careful that a lot of criminals target people leaving watch shops and put the regular red Omega bag into another non marked bag.

Master
    A very sad sign of the times unfortunately.

Any obvious displays of wealth/success/glamour will attract attention: that is what they’re intended to do I would have thought..so be careful when you show off if you don’t know who you’re showing off to.
    BTW when I say showing off I don’t mean it in a silly school playground way I’m not talking about someone pulling their collar down to reveal a freshly minted lovebite: You don’t need to wave a gold bar about to attract this type of informed/targeted ‘attention’ nowadays.
    These thieves knowledge of luxury goods and awareness of where they will find them plus their ever increasing boldness is unfortunately both very real and very dangerous and ignoring the potential violence we invite on ourselves by having and displaying ‘nice things’ is imao wilfully childish.
    Remember to stay alert and aware when your out and about: you’re not being paranoid, people really are after your watch!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I usually take a Ratners bag for carrying any watch purchase home...

In all seriousness, poor chap and a state of affairs.

I always take a supermarket bag to put it all in
    Good idea.

What I find more worrying than this incident is the fact there is someone willing to buy this watch as a stolen item and I presume that the thieves knew what they were taking so it would be sold at a high value. Sooner or later it must surely come up on a dealers radar?
    Last edited by theancientmariner; 8th February 2020 at 21:27.