closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sports watch for £5800

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Correction, he will get a loose SD without a RSC service from Italy and enjoy the massive gamble when he opens the box. I wouldn't go near.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Correction, he will get a loose SD without a RSC service from Italy and enjoy the massive gamble when he opens the box. I wouldn't go near.
    Maybe not the best option to give
    But I have seen recently a few in London at and around the £6k mark although anything with a full set is bringing good money.
    I would argue there is no downside at this price
    The Herd are chasing the Sub and ignoring this piece most do not realise you can get a 40mm watch so much better than any Sub at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Like several have said, a Polar 16570 Exp II. It's just under your price point; leave it a year or two and it will probably be just above. You could probably afford to get it serviced (c.£580) as well, making it as new.

[QUOTE=Curtis;5319023]Disagree it's far too heavy and subs cyclops is a useful feature. Sub every time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app[/

The 16600 is slimmer and certainly No heavier than the new slab like sub with its new bracelet which takes up half the wrist.
    I think you may be getting confused with 43 mm Sea dwellers
    As for the cyclops that’s down to personal preference..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Err how can I say this in a polite way:)
    The point is nearly new and still in service , most watches stay relatively intact within the first 2 years unless you’ve bought one off a guy who uses it to chop wood or engage in rock climbing . Buy used and get two . No 1. Would be the Omega , Breitling , Pam , Tudor , possibly Rolex Exp 2. Watch no 2 a cheeky Seiko , Certina , Alpina , Glycine for every day stuff.
    Watch purchase no2 is fraught with danger as you hold your £400-£500 purchase and struggle to detect the quality difference to your £3000-£5000 watch
    Funny that as watch purchase number 2 is for sure 100% going to be...https://www.poljot24.de/en/marken/se...000budget.html

Master
    Might struggle at that price point but my option is one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Might struggle at that price point but my option is one of these...

I have seen one, but I don't like the looks, whether that's because I have my heart set on a Panerai, I don't know but I am visiting watches of Switzerland next week, so gonna try a bunch of watches and see what suits.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeardedTaff View Post
    I have seen one, but I don't like the looks, whether that's because I have my heart set on a Panerai, I don't know but I am visiting watches of Switzerland next week, so gonna try a bunch of watches and see what suits.
    If you want to try on a bunch of watches better head to WF too.

Buy a BB58 and save the change

Master
    Awful lot of Rolex pushing in this thread we mustn'd have very many active Rolex threads for the Rollie lovers to keep them busy.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Yes and no....

No because I can see your point and to be fair, I’ve bought most of my ‘high end’ watches new myself.

Yes because I’m quickly coming round to the fact that you can pick up some real bargains, then get them serviced and end up with something very, very close to new. Entirely different watch but my old and well worn, never to be sold, Speedmaster Date came back from a full service looking truly fantastic. Other people’s dinks and stories needn’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Awesome idea regarding the servicing and restoration, didn't even think of that, but that is why I have come on here to ask for ideas.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=SteveM112;5319027]
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
    Disagree it's far too heavy and subs cyclops is a useful feature. Sub every time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app[/

The 16600 is slimmer and certainly No heavier than the new slab like sub with its new bracelet which takes up half the wrist.
    I think you may be getting confused with 43 mm Sea dwellers
    As for the cyclops that’s down to personal preference..

The 16600 is top heavy as its a thick head on a lighter bracelet.
    The slab like sub is more balanced on the wrist and prevents the "top-spin" often associated with the 5 digit sea dweller.

[QUOTE=verv;5319462]

The 16600 is top heavy as its a thick head on a lighter bracelet.
    The slab like sub is more balanced on the wrist and prevents the "top-spin" often associated with the 5 digit sea dweller.
    Depends on which wrist and how it’s sized. I’ve always managed to get a perfect fit with any Rolex with the old style dive bracelets - only to heavy for me on NATO or v slightly off fitting straps. It’s not really a heavy watch head in isolation, especially these days.
    It's just a matter of time...

chopard Jacky Ickx ?

Master
    Don’t rule out the 16600 Sea Dweller No ugly cyclops and a proper dive watch and so much better than the Submariner in every way.
    Agree

Disagree it's far too heavy and subs cyclops is a useful feature. Sub every time.
    Disagree!

If you think the 16600 is far too heavy you might want to start drinking milk and doing weights with single tins of tuna.

Master
    How about an Omega PO deep black pre owned, no scratches lilkely and within budget, buy well and you can flip it at cost a year down the line if you fancy a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    How about an Omega PO deep black pre owned, no scratches lilkely and within budget, buy well and you can flip it at cost a year down the line if you fancy a change.
    I like Omega SMP 300m diver!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    The new Seamaster (or 300 diver) all day for this budget - you can probably pick up a 1yo SMP for around £3500 now - don't buy new, you lose 30% immediately walking out the store... nearly-new is the way to go...
    My philosophy exactly for both cars and watches! With a budget of around £6k I would personally try to pick up 2 nice watches, a sports watch and something dressy. Cant go wrong with a Seamaster and maybe a something from Tudor

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daraghmack View Post
    My philosophy exactly for both cars and watches! With a budget of around £6k I would personally try to pick up 2 nice watches, a sports watch and something dressy. Cant go wrong with a Seamaster and maybe a something from Tudor

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Something dressy is going to be a Sea-Gull 1963, love the history with that watch, and agree I could pick up a SMP or the like, thing is with Tudor is I hear others saying it's a poor mans Rolex and I'm not normally swayed by talk as I have my own mind but this time a I agree a little, and to be honest 41mm is a little small and there's nothing by them that really catch my eye.
    Last edited by TheBeardedTaff; 8th February 2020 at 14:49.

Something dressy is going to be a Sea-Gull 1963, love the history with that watch, and agree I could pick up a SMP or the like, thing is with Tudor is I hear others saying it's a poor mans Rolex and I'm not normally swayed by talk as I have my own mind but this time a I agree a little, and to be honest 41mm is a little small and there's nothing by them that really catch my eye.
    You will get vastly different opinions and none would be wrong - depends on your view. If you are not 100% sure about a brand or watch, go for something else - else you will just end up flipping it if you are not happy. Brands are very personal and in similar price ranges quality is not likely to be vastly different- it just depends what you prefer. Personally I would also rather get an Omega over Tudor, but that’s just my personal opinion as I prefer the Omega brand. Otherwise I would save up more and get a Rolex... but only if that’s what you really want.

Aqua Racer anyone??

I like this, it makes me wonder why TH get such a pasting on forums, I mean are they even over priced for this model, used this seems to be a good price in certain places.

https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/watch...way201a-ft6069

Quote Originally Posted by rsteenekamp View Post
    You will get vastly different opinions and none would be wrong - depends on your view. If you are not 100% sure about a brand or watch, go for something else - else you will just end up flipping it if you are not happy. Brands are very personal and in similar price ranges quality is not likely to be vastly different- it just depends what you prefer. Personally I would also rather get an Omega over Tudor, but that’s just my personal opinion as I prefer the Omega brand. Otherwise I would save up more and get a Rolex... but only if that’s what you really want.
    Rolex have never done it for me, I think its a brand for the people to say, "Hey, I've got a Rolex", and that's not me, I can buy a watch for £200 like the sea-gull and be as happy with that as a £5000 one, trouble I have is that I like quite a lot of watches and not really brand specific, yes I really like the Panerai, the looks and the history and I love the crown lock mechanism, but I also like a dive watch like the Aqua Racer, and the SMP 300. too much choice isn't there?

Master
    Rolex have never done it for me, I think its a brand for the people to say, "Hey, I've got a Rolex", and that's not me, I can buy a watch for £200 like the sea-gull and be as happy with that as a £5000 one, trouble I have is that I like quite a lot of watches and not really brand specific, yes I really like the Panerai, the looks and the history and I love the crown lock mechanism, but I also like a dive watch like the Aqua Racer, and the SMP 300. too much choice isn't there?
    I know where you are coming from...i have owned a number of Rolex watches and still have one a 216570 but many have disappointed including the Sub and my latest SD43.

However i picked this up with a bit of discount and can honestly say at around the £3500 mark which is still a lot for any watch it really is a cracking watch and far better than many of the more expensive Rolex watches i have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    I know where you are coming from...i have owned a number of Rolex watches and still have one a 216570 but many have disappointed including the Sub and my latest SD43.

However i picked this up with a bit of discount and can honestly say at around the £3500 mark which is still a lot for any watch it really is a cracking watch and far better than many of the more expensive Rolex watches i have owned.

Agree, this SMP300 is lovely, love the ceramic everything, and when caught in certain light it glows stunning, I also like the chronograph version of this watch too.

Blog Entries
    I have some Rolex but can't remember ever saying "Hey I've got a Rolex" any more than 'Hey I've got an Omega or Seiko'. Although some people undoubtedly would, just as they would for other brands. (think Patek, AP etc).

For me it's the watch that counts, there are some Rolex I would never want to own, and there are some cheaper (lots cheaper) watches that I would want to.

You're right, there is too much choice!! So many watches, so little time
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.