closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko case refurb?

Seiko case refurb?

I'll ask the collective as a search didn't produce many recent results.

Can anyone point me towards a reliable and sympathetic repairer to do a case refurb on a 1989 Seiko 7002?

TIA

Would Duncan (The Watch Bloke) Not be the go to person for all things Seiko?

There are a couple of forum members who have done a polish/refurb on watch cases from what I remember, doing a few of their own watches and offering to work on those of forum members. Will have a look if I bookmarked it anywhere.

Master
    I can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'll ask the collective as a search didn't produce many recent results.

Can anyone point me towards a reliable and sympathetic repairer to do a case refurb on a 1989 Seiko 7002?

TIA
    Yep, butt he doesn't come cheap....

else try Paul, (walkerwek on here).
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Would Duncan (The Watch Bloke) Not be the go to person for all things Seiko?
    Has he calmed down from his latest meltdown yet?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Has he calmed down from his latest meltdown yet?
    ????

I have no idea what you mean.

????

I have no idea what you mean.
    Sorry, that was a similarly named account - webwatchmaker - some guy called Brendan.

I’ve already tried Duncan and he doesn’t do case refurb anymore.

I had to laugh at the meltdown comment. Duncan is the last person to have a public forum meltdown

Is this the Seiko that has caused some debate elsewhere? The marks look a little deep to me might you be removing a fair bit of metal to get rid of them?

Is this the Seiko that has caused some debate elsewhere? The marks look a little deep to me might you be removing a fair bit of metal to get rid of them?
    I was thinking that. Wasn't there a discussion fairly recently on laser etching or whatever it's called, where they can fill in the deeper gouges then polish, thus removing the need to remove half the case. I wouldn't imagine it to be cheap though and maybe not cost effective on a Seiko unless it had special value.

On that watch I think it actually wears the scars well. Personal preference of course but I’d wear it as it is I think. Too deep for a basic polish imho.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I was thinking that. Wasn't there a discussion fairly recently on laser etching or whatever it's called, where they can fill in the deeper gouges then polish, thus removing the need to remove half the case. I wouldn't imagine it to be cheap though and maybe not cost effective on a Seiko unless it had special value.
    I offer laser refilling of deep marks. It's not cheap and costs anywhere between £50-£200 depending on the depth and number. It can make a dramatic improvement to the case without as you say, removing lots of metal.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

How about going the other way and finding a nice original bezel insert, and having something with some patina instead? I have a few watches like that and much prefer them to mint ones, which are only going to collect scratches and dinks in time. It's a tool watch, let it wear its history.
    "A man of little significance"

send it in, I have my tools ready

Thanks for all the comments.

I might give it a once over myself with the polishing cloth and see if I can at least soften the scratches a bit, and I think the suggestion of leaving it with the 'history' intact might be the way to go.

Thanks for all the comments.

I might give it a once over myself with the polishing cloth and see if I can at least soften the scratches a bit, and I think the suggestion of leaving it with the 'history' intact might be the way to go.
    Be interesting to see the results although I suspect removing the faint numerous swirlies will only highlight the deeper dings and gouges.

Master
    did you want a 7002 with an AM bezel for any particular reason?

or was it the price?

unserviced they usually sell on eBay for about £100

I bought this recently for £110, really for the "lovely" bezel

close up images make any watch look worse than it really is

Last edited by BillN; 6th February 2020 at 12:38.

Grand Master
    What folks don’t realise with scratches is that some metal protrudes above the surface. Think about a plough in a field, try to visualise what happens. The biggest improvement is effected by flatting the area, that requires a hard block and abrasive such as wet and dry paper. If this is continued, eventually the deep scratches will disappear to leave what looks like pitting, that’s the deepest point if the scratch and more metal has to be removed to get to the bottom of the pits.

What folks also don’t realise is how little metal needs to be removed, taking 5-10 microns away will remove 90% of the damage in most cases.

It’s v. difficult to make heavily battered watch look lightly battered, I’ve yet to workout a way if doing that. If the surface was originally brushed or grained a big improvement us effected by removing some damage then re- applying the finish. Assuming this has a brushed finish that’s what I’d do, at the risk if stating the obvious the bezel has to come off to have any chance of getting this to look right.

This is a sub £200 watch. Why anyone would spend £££ refurbishing the case to get it to a point where it will still look as if its been 20 minutes inside a cement mixer with a couple of bags of gravel is beyond me. As others have said, wear it for what it is. Or sell it to someone who will.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    did you want a 7002 with an AM bezel for any particular reason?

or was it the price?

unserviced they usually sell on eBay for about £100

I bought this recently for £110, really for the "lovely" bezel

close up images make any watch look worse than it really is

I didn't necessarily want an AM bezel at all.

The watch was advertised, it had an original dial, had been recently serviced and was described as excellent condition with a new glass and replacement bezel insert, so I decided to take a punt.

I'm not a purist regarding original bezel inserts (although original dial was important as I'm not a fan of fakey green Seiko dials). I just fancied an honest example of a 7002, which this one was – or wasn't, depending on your viewpoint.

I agree that close ups make it look worse than it does to the naked eye, but the case has gouges and grooves, not just hairline scratches.

I think softening the edges will help but we'll see.

Master

The watch was advertised, it had an original dial, had been recently serviced and was described as excellent condition with a new glass and replacement bezel insert, so I decided to take a punt.

I'm not a purist regarding original bezel inserts (although original dial was important as I'm not a fan of fakey green Seiko dials). I just fancied an honest example of a 7002, which this one was – or wasn't, depending on your viewpoint.

I agree that close ups make it look worse than it does to the naked eye, but the case has gouges and grooves, not just hairline scratches.

Considering the value of the watch I would try to do the job yourself - there are probably a few tutorials on utube

There are some good aftermarket inserts out there........ the cheap ones at £7 are terrible but there are ones at around £30 that are good
    Last edited by BillN; 6th February 2020 at 14:03.

Honestly I wouldn’t bother, I had an old Seiko that had a fair few marks and scratches on it I think you may be doing more harm than good to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    Considering the value of the watch I would try to do the job yourself - there are probably a few tutorials on utube

There are some good aftermarket inserts out there........ the cheap ones at £7 are terrible but there are ones at around £30 that are good
    Honestly I wouldn’t bother, I had an old Seiko that had a fair few marks and scratches on it I think you may be doing more harm than good to it.
    I think you're both right