closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Timex q automatic

Hybrid View

Timex q automatic

Liking this, 40mm, miyota movement. If it's priced sensibly, I'll be getting one

50m of water resistance on a "diver" isn't quite par for the course these days and that red hand sticks out like a sore thumb. What'll they try to flog these at, 300 quid? And they'll get it too, the Q set the precedent for speculative flippers to hoover these up and spit them out onto eBay for an obscene amount.

Timex cannot do wrong at the moment. I love seeing the way they go. And I am looking forward to their journey in the future. They are not for me, they have never been for me but so what? I love all watches, especially the ones with the history and ethos of Timex.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    50m of water resistance on a "diver" isn't quite par for the course these days and that red hand sticks out like a sore thumb.
    It's not a diver's watch in the same way the Captain Cook reissue is not a diver's watch (except for one specific model released this year) - the target audience is desk-divers.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 5th February 2020 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    It's not a diver's watch in the same way the Captain Cook reissue is not a diver's watch (except for one specific model released this year) - the target audience is desk-divers.
    Still better than Panerai's Luminor Due with locking crown and 30m water resistance for £5.5k.

I really like that Timex has upped their game a bit the last few years - moving on from just knocking out cheap & cheerful Quartz’s and instead mining their rich history to bring us some interesting pieces - and going back to making automatic watches too. It started with the Timex Marlin 34mm mechanical in 2017, which was a hit, and they’ve kept in going from there. I really liked the NaviHarbour and had the quartz one for a while (they’ve now made an auto).

Only thing is they do tend to overprice their watches when you look at what you’re getting; the Marlin automatic line for example are very similar to the Orient Bambino but twice the price.

I’m on the fence with the Timex Q - on the one hand I think I like it, reminds me of the kind of thing my dad and uncles would all wear in the 80’s, on the other hand I question whether it’s an overpriced gimmicky watch. Is likely the new auto will have 50m WR, mineral crystal and a miyota movement - if they price it round the £300 mark you’d have to question that, bearing in mind you can get a rock solid Steinhart with 300m WR, sapphire crystal, Swiss ETA and a good quality bracelet for £330.

As mentioned already they’ll no doubt be hoovered up and re-listed on eBay in a nanosecond!

What’s the betting that they sell out of the first batch in half-an-hour, then they’ll start appearing on eBay for mega-inflated prices only for Timex to re-stock them indefinitely, thus making complete chumps out of those who paid over-the-odds because they couldn’t wait.

Quite like how it looks, BUT, would 100m's wr have killed them at least then it would been viable for regular swimming.

Love it, the whole deal. Name on the list, tho' I'm bound to blink and miss it!

£249! Ordered! Get-in!

Congrats

Craftsman
    Massively on the fence about this one.

Do I order as a beater.. this one is 40mm case with a 14.5mm height.

The original Q is 38mm and 11.5mm I think?

Plus quartz vs a mechanical for a beater, which do you guys thinks better?

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by cart3rlfc View Post
    Plus quartz vs a mechanical for a beater, which do you guys thinks better?

At this price point it's quartz all the way for me. Cheap mechanical movements such as these Miyotas are terrible timekeepers and I just can't live with that. Someone will be along to say that a Miyota can be regulated to close to or within COSC but that's not how they are out of the box and I for one can't be arsed to go to the hassle and expense of getting a cheap movement regulated.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    At this price point it's quartz all the way for me. Cheap mechanical movements such as these Miyotas are terrible timekeepers ...
    The Miyota in my Everest has been pretty reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    The Miyota in my Everest has been pretty reliable.
    My Miyota powered watch was too. Reliably well over 30 seconds out per day ;-)

Blog Entries
    Tbh if it had a decent strap with a proper clasp I'd probably have one. Having got the other quartz Q with a similar strap it's a bit of a put off.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Was looking at having one of these but thought I’d be able to use the 15% off code, code doesn’t work on this watch so I’ll give it a miss for now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. . . . . aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's sold out.

M

Craftsman
    Well at the prices of the Q resale value should go down a little now I imagine.. still hovering around retail at the minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean_Go_Getter View Post
    . . . . . aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's sold out.

M

No doubt coming soon to eBay lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Nice write up and I'm glad you are enjoying it. I have the quartz Q reissue and if your auto has the same bracelet I have to disagree - it's a total hair puller and any movement of the head results in a painful jolt. Even so I'm prepared to put up with it. I am pretty hairy though to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I have the quartz Q reissue and if your auto has the same bracelet I have to disagree - it's a total hair puller and any movement of the head results in a painful jolt. Even so I'm prepared to put up with it. I am pretty hairy though to be fair.
    Pah! Man-up and you'll have a nice smooth, bald wrist and a comfy watch in no time!

Journeyman
    the bracelet on the timex q is an abomination !! way overpriced

Craftsman
    Nice little review.
    Not sure if you have a Q to compare it with, but what's the height on this watch like, it was one of the things that made me hesitate on this watch, really liked the fact the Q was slim.

Don't own the quartz version, but it's a larger watch overall: 40mm x 14.5mm versus 38mm x 11.5 mm for the quartz. It carries it well - certainly sleeker than almost all the other ~40mm divers I own.

Looking at pictures I've noticed it says "m79 automatic collection" on the caseback, so maybe it's the first of a number of models?

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk