closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai anyone?

Panerai anyone?

Hi guys this is my first post here on TZ. I've been looking at a sportswatch to buy and have come across a few that I have really liked the look of, a couple of versions of the new ceramic dials Omega 300m smp and a particular Panerai being the PAM01537. Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with the Panerai watches as this seems to be the one I'm more drawn towards?

The Omegas kinda speak for themselves don't they

Never heard of them

Master
    I've had a few and really liked them, but I'm a bit put off the brand after reading some horror stories when it comes to warranty and servicing.

The watch you refer to is really nice, but I'm not a fan of the blue hand on the sub dial

Master
    Have you not heard? Panerai are finished?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Panerai is a brand you have to love to buy.
    Depreciation is big, servicing and warranty repairs can be a headache with Richemont, but theyre great watches.
    Personally id take one over an omega any day.

I’m a big Omega fan, but even they make a huge number of watches that I’d never consider.

The 1537 is a big no for me. It has too many dial elements that I don’t want/like/need. A side seconds subdial or when used as a GMT, just looks wrong to me, so I discount any model similar, also a power reserve is usually not that well done, and is no exception on that model for me. The final points are the hobnail dial, which does t look right on a busy dial for my taste, and worst of all - no sandwich dial.

There are plenty of Panerai that I’d love with the 425 etc., and similar dials available with the Luminor case.

I don’t have a single Panerai in a large collection, so my opinion probably isn’t as valid as some others - but there are a lot more people that like the idea of owning a Panerai than those that currently own one, and partly for good reason.
    It's just a matter of time...

This might help

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ciation-thread

https://www.google.com/search?q=tz-u...iw=414&bih=719

I think Panerai are experiencing a mini resurgence. Deservedly so.

Craftsman

Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Panerai is a brand you have to love to buy.
    Depreciation is big, servicing and warranty repairs can be a headache with Richemont, but theyre great watches.
    Personally id take one over an omega any day.
    All of the above from Verv. In a marketplace we’re so many watches look similar to each other, Panerai offers a break from the norm. I feel that they are considerably overpriced and that is reflected in the depreciation level but if you are comfortable with the asking price, it could well be a Watch you carry for some years.

I recently bought my first Panerai, here are my initial thoughts-

I have bought a Panerai! How did that happen?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Panerai anyone?

I would agree that you need to love them to buy one.

I currently have two that are different enough to keep me interested in both.

I’ve never experienced any issues when I’ve had to return one for warranty work.

They do get under your skin and I will be adding to the two I already own in the future.

My advice would be to get yourself established here, have a read of the many threads that are on TZ already about Panerai and then wait for something you like the look of to come up on the sales corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Andyp1973; 5th February 2020 at 14:21.

Although I haven’t had a Panerai, I think they have a unique look, and are an excellent way of diversifying a collection

My personal view is that a Luminor should be 44mm or above, and although the smaller watches work better for smaller wrists (like mine!), they loose something. I like the Submersible range, although it’s a shame they have dropped 44 as a size

In terms of the 01537
    42mm, see above
    I like the Hobnail dial very much
    Power reserve: strong dislike
    GMT, not well implemented, but at least it has a jumping hour.

Fundamentally I like them, it’s a shame I’m not better endowed in the wrist department.

Good luck with your search

Dave

First and the most important thing: if you don't have to, don't buy the Panerai with an inhouse movement. Go to the more reliable and serviceable, older models, based on Unitas.
    Even if the new are nicer, etc. you will save a lot of health if you won't contact with the Richemont Group service.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    This might help

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ciation-thread

https://www.google.com/search?q=tz-u...iw=414&bih=719

I think Panerai are experiencing a mini resurgence. Deservedly so.
    Do you think the resurgence is down to the In-House movements of the latest watches, someone has mentioned about the Richemont group, but look at the brands they actually own, surely that has some leverage towards the Panerai, or am I trying to convince myself,lol. I genuinely like the model specifically with the power reserve for the obvious reasons, and I like the crown guard, novelty or not you'll have to use it often, I have 17cm wrists so average size, 42mm and 44mm suits me very well, but am open to any other brands as long as I like the look, and I like the history of certain brands, but isn't that why we're all intrigued and fascinated by time pieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m a big Omega fan, but even they make a huge number of watches that I’d never consider.

The 1537 is a big no for me. It has too many dial elements that I don’t want/like/need. A side seconds subdial or when used as a GMT, just looks wrong to me, so I discount any model similar, also a power reserve is usually not that well done, and is no exception on that model for me. The final points are the hobnail dial, which does t look right on a busy dial for my taste, and worst of all - no sandwich dial.

There are plenty of Panerai that I’d love with the 425 etc., and similar dials available with the Luminor case.

I don’t have a single Panerai in a large collection, so my opinion probably isn’t as valid as some others - but there are a lot more people that like the idea of owning a Panerai than those that currently own one, and partly for good reason.
    I do like the Sandwich dial to be fair, but the similar style that has it is a 44mm, I'm traveling to Cardiff next week and am trying them on in WOS!

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Although I haven’t had a Panerai, I think they have a unique look, and are an excellent way of diversifying a collection

My personal view is that a Luminor should be 44mm or above, and although the smaller watches work better for smaller wrists (like mine!), they loose something. I like the Submersible range, although it’s a shame they have dropped 44 as a size

In terms of the 01537
    42mm, see above
    I like the Hobnail dial very much
    Power reserve: strong dislike
    GMT, not well implemented, but at least it has a jumping hour.

Fundamentally I like them, it’s a shame I’m not better endowed in the wrist department.

Good luck with your search

Dave

There's also a PAM1321 I think??? That is a 44mm, sandwich dial instead of the "Parisian" waffle dial, but I really like the look, I guess I like busy dials for a sport watch, and my fear for buying used is the condition, I wish I was one that could look past marks, but not by someone else, my own scratches yes I can get that as they have a story behind them that only I know about.