closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 24 hours off in Warsaw

Master
    Blog Entries

24 hours off in Warsaw

What to do there with my spare time. I will be staying near the airport post my time off, is it worth just staying that way for the extra night or moving in town?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    What to do there with my spare time. I will be staying near the airport post my time off, is it worth just staying that way for the extra night or moving in town?
    I once witnessed live tattooing in a Warsaw night club many moons ago. I didn't partake in having one but it was a great night out!

I would head into town (if you stay or just cab it into town)

if you like good food and wine then i recommend this place: http://alewino.pl/en
    and right opposite is a perfume shop (if you like that kind of thing) https://mo61.pl

Master
    I don’t know much about Warsaw mate but having spent a couple of weeks in Krakow and ?ód? recently I can attest to the fact that the Polish craft beer scene is excellent, so tuck in!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    I don’t know much about Warsaw mate but having spent a couple of weeks in Krakow and ?ód? recently I can attest to the fact that the Polish craft beer scene is excellent, so tuck in!
    I heard that, Budapest is worth a visit for that too.

Warsaw isn't exactly a 'must see', but I think most places have their merits and almost anything beats time in a soulless Airport Hotel.

It's a very modern city with numerous high-rise buildings. The reasons for that are quite fascinating, with the Nazi plan to pretty much wipe it off the face of the Earth under the Pabst Plan, WW2 fighting, uprisings, Soviet invasion etc. On the basis of that horror I can't really criticize it for not being as pretty as say, Krakow, with the Old Town pretty much entirely a modern reconstruction using old paintings etc. as reference points.

The Market Square, Castle Square, King Zygmunt's Column & the Barbican are all in close proximity and tick a lot of the tourist boxes during a pleasant & easy stroll around.

I thought the Warsaw Uprising Museum and nearby remnants of the Jewish Ghetto walls were interesting, time permitting.

This being a watch forum, a visit to the top of Stalin's monstrous Palace of Culture & Science - until quite recently the World's tallest clock tower - is well worth it for the ear-popping elevator ride and incredible roof-top views.

I've only been once, but I fondly remember it for having some of the best food I've eaten on holiday and all at very reasonable prices for what you get. Didn't have a single meal that was below great.

Snack time jam doughnut (the best doughnut I've ever eaten):

Cukiernia Pawłowicz
    Chmielna 13, 00-021 Warszawa, Poland

Really lovely steak restaurant (the tastiest steak tartare I've had):

Butchery & Wine
    Żurawia 22, 00-515 Warszawa, Poland

Gorgeous wine paired tasting menu (since got a Michelin star so probably crept up in price):

Atelier Amaro
    plac Trzech Krzyży 10/14, 00-507 Warszawa, Poland

Master
    Agree with Stringer’s comments. I’ve spent a few weeks there on holiday and hope to return later this year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks all,

I might stay down town for the first night then move back to the airport for work.

Cheers

These online guides are all you need.
    https://www.inyourpocket.com/warsaw
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Some great restaurants around the old square area - great prices too for what you get

Go to the city - for sure - bear in mind that after the WWII Warsaw was burned to the ground (literally).

You can check:
    - Old town
    - Zamek Królewski (kings castle)
    - Nowy Świat (street) is beautiful
    - Łazienki Królewskie
    - Museum of Warsaw Uprising

Have fun - maybe the weather isn't the best now, but I hope you'll enjoy your trip!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Konlew, I have booked some digs and a walking tour before I start work.

Have fun!
    Unfortunately I'm almost 500 km away from the capital city, a bit to far to catch you on coffee! :-)