closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thoughts on GS White Birch

Thoughts on GS White Birch

I've got a chance to get one at a decent discount - any owners here what are your thoughts? My one reservation is the non tapering bracelet but apparently on the wrist it's a non-issue

Thoughts on GS White Birch

Hi Ryan,

Recently tried the Lake Suwa that a friend of mine picked up, which has the same case and bracelet as the White Birch. The bracelet taper was something I wanted to check and I’m glad to say that even with a sub 7 inch wrist it was a non issue for me and gave the watch a unique feel on the wrist.

If anything the bracelet contributed to the watch having a greater presence and added a feel of sportiness that the other heritage Grand Seiko’s didn’t give. The fact that the bracelet was also fully brushed also is a positive imo.

I’m seriously thinking of picking up the new White Birch with the Spring Drive movement when it hits the stores.

Out of interest is it the new spring drive version or the current hi beat that you are thinking of pulling the trigger on?

I found an interesting article on the subtle differences between the new White Birch (spring drive) and the older one here:

https://timeandtidewatches.com/what-...birch-watches/

One of the differences being a slightly different dial on the new version, which may solve the issue for some who thought the original may have been too silver for their tastes. I’m looking forward to seeing both dials in the flesh to compare.
    Last edited by namzo; 16th January 2022 at 23:05.

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Recently tried the Lake Suwa that a friend of mine picked up, which has the same case and bracelet as the White Birch. The bracelet taper was something I wanted to check and I’m glad to say that even with a sub 7 inch wrist it was a non issue for me and gave the watch a unique feel on the wrist.

If anything the bracelet contributed to the watch having a greater presence and added a feel of sportiness that the other heritage Grand Seiko’s didn’t give. The fact that the bracelet was also fully brushed also is a positive imo.

I’m seriously thinking of picking up the new White Birch with the Spring Drive movement when it hits the stores.

Out of interest is it the new spring drive version or the current hi beat that you are thinking of pulling the trigger on?

I found an interesting article on the subtle differences between the new White Birch (spring drive) and the older one here:

https://timeandtidewatches.com/what-...birch-watches/

One of the differences being a slightly different dial on the new version, which may solve the issue for some who thought the original may have been too silver for their tastes. I’m looking forward to seeing both dials in the flesh to compare.
    Thanks for this. It is the High Beat I'm about to pull the trigger on.

Cheers

Ryan

If it helps, wrist shots of it next to my Submariner…

Very nice, I thought. Dial is quite textured which makes it more interesting than the Snowflake (quite why this is held in such high regard overseas I have never understood, it’s just another GS here) but possibly “too interesting” under some conditions? As below…

It’s a GS and a High Beat, so about as good it gets by any objective horological measure. Subjectively it's like a finely patterned shirt: only you know if it works for you.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 17th January 2022 at 00:56.

Assuming the bracelet is the same as that on my Suwa Lake, it DOES taper. I think from 22mm to 20mm.

Anyway, the watch has been on my wrist for nearly a whole month now, and it's definitely comfortable. I think you'll be fine.

Apprentice
    Love it !

Master
    Not an owner but I have tried on the other version. I was surprised how metallic and silvery the dial is - it’s more silver birch than white birch. It’s a much shinier and more sparkly affair than the calm snowflake or the omiwatari (which itself glistens more than the snowflake). In photos they appear more white, so it’s definitely one to see in person, particularly if you were expecting something understated. It would be interesting to see how it reacts in the evening, outside of the overlit environment of the dealer. An interesting watch for sure but not at all what I expected. Very interesting if the new one is less shiny.

I'm passing on it but if anyone wants it down from £8500 to £6500 and can be easy to deal with and not be a difficult buyer then I'm happy to provide the intro. Grey dealer.