Time has caught up with me: my eyesight has gone worse over the last 6 - 8 months. New lenses for my glasses did the trick for a few weeks, but then it worsened even more. In fact, I feel unsafe driving at night. I can't distingush people wearing dark clothing when it's late at night. Luckily I haven't hit anything (yet...). Anyway, I've just returned home from a visit to the ophthalmologist: I have cataract on both eyes. The right eye is worse. I'm getting old!

There's a long waiting list for a cataract surgery in the Dutch general hospitals, so I turned to my cousin for help: she's GP and she suggested that I would turn to a private clinic for a proper diagnose. I made an appointment last Friday for the visit to the ophthalmologist of a private eye surgery clinic this afternoon. The eye surgeon was very clear: cataract.

She (the surgeon, not my cousin) gave me a ton of reading material and a schedule for a new appointment next Thursday. Then, I'll be heading back to the clinic for the correct lens. But there are options: she can provide me with a -more or less- 'standard' lens; that will include that I'll still need specs for reading. Or, I can opt for a more specialized lens - a lens that will take away all my 'troubles': I would not need specs anymore. I'm currently wearing glasses with multifocal lenses. And I wouldn't mind wearing glasses for reading. As a matter of fact, I don't mind wearing glasses at all.

I'm curious to know if you have experience when it comes to cataract related eye surgery and if you have experience chosing a lens for your need. Furthermore: additional info would be great.

Menno