closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dekla Watches - first hand experience?

Journeyman

Dekla Watches - first hand experience?

Does anyone here have first hand experience with Dekla Watches in Germany - specifically their pilot watches: https://deklawatches.com/en/pilot/42/

I heard they are extremely competitively priced (just under 500 EUR for a an ETA 2801, 10ATM waterproof, heat blued steel hands), but some issues with the domed saphire glass.

Would appreciate any first hand feedback from anyone who owns one of these?

Many thanks

Master
    No first hand experience but on WUS there is (German watches section) a thread or two on them:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/search...chid=154490449

They make watches now?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    No first hand experience but on WUS there is (German watches section) a thread or two on them:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/search...chid=154490449
    Cheers. I’ll have a look.

I had one for a few months before I flipped it. The 42mm version was just way too chunky and the lack of AR made the crystal a glare magnet. The orangy-hued lume (all that was available at the time) was weak and the second hand did not glow at all. The watch also had really sharp edges along the inside of the lugs, I'd guess keen enough to draw blood if you caught the edge wrong.

It did have some good points - heat blued hands, a handsome dial and a killer crown. The ETA 2801 was smooth and accurate. In the end the watch was just too thick. They do make a 40mm version now but I do not know how sleek it is or how it wears.

Review is here:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/dek...h-4799299.html

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    Thank you! Illuminating review. So in a few words: the watch is ok, but not great - fair summary?

Quote Originally Posted by WolfiesPapa View Post
    Thank you! Illuminating review. So in a few words: the watch is ok, but not great - fair summary?
    I think that is fair. They might have addressed some of my complaints. I know the offer white lume and a 40mm size now. My watch was one of the very first ones so perhaps they’ve improved a bit since then.

Journeyman
    Thanks again. Helpful comments and review!

I have an update. Dekla was made aware of my post here and contacted my via PM on WUS. He stated he was sorry that I was not satisfied with the watch and that the shortcomings I disliked about the watch have been addressed in the 18 months since I purchased mine (which was one of the very first ones sold). He said they use better crystals and lume now and have better finishing. He offered to update my watch with the upgraded components for free. I think this is a very generous offer and if I still had the watch I would take him up on it.

I looked at the site and they do offer a 40mm watch now that is only a bit over 10mm thick. It also comes in a satin finish which was not available when I bought mine. I admit I am sorely tempted to try the 40mm version out and may do so at some point, especially if they ever offer it with white BGW9 lume.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I have an update.
    That's good. I am however slightly struggling to see what sets them apart from more established micro-brands like Stowa and Steinhart. It's not like they're doing anything especially innovative.

"Our cases are no longer razor sharp" seems like the minimum that should be expected and the fact they didn't catch that in prototyping raises wider concerns about QA, general maturity of their production process, etc.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    That's good. I am however slightly struggling to see what sets them apart from more established micro-brands like Stowa and Steinhart.
    Price / value for money I guess?

Stowa Fliegers are about 2x the price of these, Steinhart (to my knowledge) don’t offer some of the same features (WR to 10 ATM, heat blues hands)?

You’re making a fair point that the whole Pilot watch / Flieger market is crowded, but I guess if I had only 400£ to spare I could do worse than getting one of those Dekla watches for what they are?

Craftsman
    I've just received one, a 40mm sterile type A pilot watch. I've posted about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    I've just received one, a 40mm sterile type A pilot watch. I've posted about it here.
    Thanks for this. I'm currently resisting the urge to order thei4 40mm Deckwatch in Bronze. How's the time keeping so far?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Thanks for this. I'm currently resisting the urge to order thei4 40mm Deckwatch in Bronze. How's the time keeping so far?
    I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days as it only came this morning.

Mine was fitted with a Sellita SW210-1 standard. The website says "standard fine adjustment in-house. Middle rate +/- 7 s/d", so we'll see how that pans out!

I like the choice available, too often I look at watches and think if only that detail was different.

I’ve not “pulled the trigger “yet but this is the configuration I came up with.