closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC - too many now ...

Master
    Blog Entries

SOTC - too many now ...

Not quite sure how I have got to the above but I can't help feel there are too many in this image ...

Starting from the top left ...

1980s Rectangular Gold Plated Seamaster - inherited from my Grandad; I have never worn it ... maybe would get a wear for a black tie do ... not that I go to many.

1960s Gold Plated Seamaster; I wear this on special family occasions; again inherited from my Grandad. Brought back to this fine condition by Paul Walker.

1980s Seiko 5 ... my dads watch. Runs but I never wear it. Nice to have.

1996 Zenith Elite. An engagement gift from my wife which I wore every day for 18 years. Great watch but with me now needing reading glasses the date function is not a lot of use and I find it less easy to read with the hands being quite fine. Recent service by STS after the previous poor service by LVMH. I wear this occassionaly; wears very well. I chose this back in 1999 ahead of a Rolex Sub because I considered it superior as it has a very slim 9mm height. It was a similar price to the Sub. Poor investment choice but I have many good memories attached to this watch.

1967 Smiths W10 - bought this as it is a great bit of classic design. This one is mint; as close to NOS as you will find. Timekeeping is spot on, I wear this when I am going somewhere where I don't want to be seen with an obviously expensive watch but wish to have an interesting watch.

1960s Omega Geneve - bought this for my wife after she took a shine to the other Seamaster - again brought up to this condition by Paul Walker. It is solid gold and has a long service inscription on the back. I often wonder about researching that but never get to it.

Mondaine Quartz - wife's daily watch

1980s Seiko 150m Quartz Diver - Beater

2002 Rolex Explorer - bought to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary to replace the Zenith. Worn daily for 5 years. Just back from service and on the wrist now ... I also bought a new bracelet for it which transformed the feel; £1000 but I think it was worth it.

2019 BB58 - Bought to celebrate 20th Wedding Anniversary - really love this watch. If I could reduce the collection to just one watch it would be this one.

Aquastar Regate MatchRace III - use this when dinghy racing. I was interested in getting a proper 70s Regate but this seemed a more sensible choice. Seems the people doing this have disappeared and these are no longer available.

Anyway - there you have it ... far too many watches.

The sentimental watches really have little value and so no point selling those to thin things out.

The W10 and Explorer maybe I should sell ... but if I sell the W10 I would never find another example as good as that one ... and if I sell the Explorer I would never buy another Rolex because the prices are now daft; plus what I have spent on the bracelet and service would be sunk ... so I guess I may as well keep and enjoy them.

The Black Bay 58 is the daily wearer now with others getting an occasional look in ...
    Last edited by Montello; 2nd February 2020 at 12:15.

Grand Master
    I'm thinking exactly the same and need to reduce mine!.Coinidentally a friend has an Aquastar regatta,but the mechanical version with the 5 reds across the top.

I agree the 58 would be enough.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Coinidentally a friend has an Aquastar regatta,but the mechanical version with the 5 reds across the top.
    That is one of the watches I longed for as a kid ... I could buy one now but it was just not get worn so I can't see the point ... but then I have other watches I like to own that don't get worn so maybe one day ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Trimmed my collection down to seven ,hope to keep it that way for awhile.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That is one of the watches I longed for as a kid ... I could buy one now but it was just not get worn so I can't see the point ... but then I have other watches I like to own that don't get worn so maybe one day ...
    Just had a service too.Looks rather nice,but for a specific sport really.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Just had a service too.Looks rather nice,but for a specific sport really.
    Aye; I suspect they have limited appeal outside of people interested in sailing.

Too many watches? Is there such a thing as too many watches?

Great and varied collection.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Nice collection, the Smiths W10 the clear highlight for me, that's a beauty!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Nice collection, the Smiths W10 the clear highlight for me, that's a beauty!
    It came from this incredible haul ... shame some of the images are gone from this now: https://www.mwrforum.net/forums/show...300-s-W10-0552

The watch was service by John Senior and included a NOS dial & hands plus crown and a few internals.

SmithsW10 - 1967
    [url=https://postimg.cc/image/iudd8lza3/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/hfbsjvy73/smiths_w10.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]
    Last edited by Montello; 2nd February 2020 at 14:08.

Grand Master
    I don’t think 11 is too many. I have 25, I rarely wear the same watch for more than 1 week and I enjoy swapping and changing. Sometimes I wear one a bit longer if I can’t be bothered to did one out of storage, currently wearing my Zenith El Primero that’s been worn for the last 17 days, lots if other stuff going on at the moment so watches aren’t at the forefront of my mind.

The Zenith’s gained around 15 secs/ week, I can live with that.......just wish it was easier to read.

Blog Entries
    ................Anyway - there you have it ... far too many watches.......

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I know, not welcome comments round here 😂

However, they need insurance and services and it all adds up.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Too many watches? Is there such a thing as too many watches?

"You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many watches."

That’s not too many. Not even close.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    There's never enough, nevermind too many! Lovely collection, especially the Explorer, which is top of my wants list now.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    There's never enough, nevermind too many! Lovely collection, especially the Explorer, which is top of my wants list now.
    Never enough! Indeed!

Master
    The Zenith Elite and Smiths W10 are the pick of the litter for me, especially the Smiths. I blame Rev O for sparking my interest in the Smiths W10.

Blog Entries
    I know, not welcome comments round here 

However, they need insurance and services and it all adds up.
    Just renewed the house and contents insurance and it was a bit eye watering I must admit.

But man up and onward and upward!!

(only joking!!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just renewed the house and contents insurance and it was a bit eye watering I must admit.

But man up and onward and upward!!

(only joking!!)
    I know, I won’t be selling any, but I don’t plan to add either.

Blog Entries
    I know, I won’t be selling any, but I don’t plan to add either.
    I keep saying that.

But perhaps one might not get worn as much as others, so could be let go...........and then perhaps one could replace it............and just one more because it's just so nice.................

We have a great interest really I think, I'm sure you enjoy all your watches as much as I do. :-)