closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sick note?

Sick note?

Brother in law is currently receiving chemo treatment for Leukaemia (AML), he lives in Argentina with his family, so not exactly round the corner.

The good lady is a 50% match, so looking like a haploidentical transplant might be his best option. The tissue register has revealed only 44 potential matches worldwide.

It will require a trip to Buenos Aires to donate, and at least two weeks off work. I suggested she would get signed off work (teacher) for 3 weeks to cover the time away, although not sure how the doctor would classify such a thing.

Rather than waste the time of a Doctors appointment to ask the question are there any members here who could offer any advice?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    When we don't want to waste an appt. we write the doctor a letter and drop it in to the surgery. We normally get a call back either from the doc. or receptionist with a message within a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Brother in law is currently receiving chemo treatment for Leukaemia (AML), he lives in Argentina with his family, so not exactly round the corner.

The good lady is a 50% match, so looking like a haploidentical transplant might be his best option. The tissue register has revealed only 44 potential matches worldwide.

It will require a trip to Buenos Aires to donate, and at least two weeks off work. I suggested she would get signed off work (teacher) for 3 weeks to cover the time away, although not sure how the doctor would classify such a thing.

Rather than waste the time of a Doctors appointment to ask the question are there any members here who could offer any advice?

Thanks

I hope I have understood this right.

If your wife gives the school a heads-up as to the situation and how she will be playing an integral part in your Brother-in-Law's treatment and recovery, surely they won't even question it, will they?
    If you are, I really wouldn't stress over the medical certificate and wording.

Good luck to your Brother-in-Law with his treatment.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I may be wrong but I have always assumed that GPs sign their patients off work when their patient is sick (no matter how laudable the reason for a person being off work). In which case, I would have thought it would be for the school to decide on what basis leave could be taken.

Obviously I hope that the school treats any request fairly and that the outcome of treatment is a complete success.

Edit - I've just realised that the donation side of the treatment may itself debilitate your wife, in which case the GPs role is more evident!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Does you wife not have a good relationship with her boss? I would think the first step would be talking to them first as a courtesy.

Blog Entries
    As a school vice principal I would be very disappointed to find out that my staff members are in doubt about asking for 'sick leave' and my reaction. Of course I would grant that!

No school principal can or will reject this: "My brother has a potential lethal illness and I have a 50% chance of saving my brothers life. There are statistically(!) only 43 other people on the world who can safe him! Can I go over and help him getting better again?"

Let's put it this way: when the 'sick note' is rejected, it is time for her to move to another school. She won't be able to work there again knowing that the rejection can have severe impact on your brother in law's health and future.

Master
    What about compassionate leave

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I was surprised how easy it is to get a fit note when I went to the doctors in November.
    I basically said because of the state of my knees I couldn't do my job which involves being stood up all shift and was asked how long I wanted??

My organisation just called it 'Special Paid Leave' when I needed a couple of months at the start of our daughter's treatment. I expect I'd have been signed off with stress otherwise so it made sense all round.

The school may even be willing to promote awareness of things like the Anthony Nolan Register in their comms, due to the personal connection.

A compassionate leave. If the school is a bit difficult, a quick word with the local press or social media should help them see the light.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Potential life and death situation thus compassionate leave should be granted … including for you too so you can accompany her and assist with her recovery / return travel. Your good lady's trade union should also be able to advise if she experiences any 'permission' problems.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Some helpful insights there, thanks

The school is usually very supportive of their staff, so hopefully it won’t be a problem. Good shout about contacting the union, might be a good starting point for her.