closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refreshing a Bean

Refreshing a Bean

Having bought an LL Bean Hamilton Mechanical (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...an-Field-Watch) I have been keeping my eyes open for other LL Bean watches.

Recently this one came up on eBay, a later quartz but interesting nonetheless.

Having won the watch for the princely price of £6.50 it turned up in the post a few days later.

The Ronda 515 movement was definitely dead, so a replacement was sourced together with a new sapphire crystal (the original was mineral, but if I'm going to replace the crystal then I prefer to use sapphire where possible).

A couple of hours to strip down the old watch, clean, replace the movement and glass, and then reassemble.

Makes for a nice beater I think.

Next up is yet another CWC G10.....

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Haha ! You have been busy !
    Nicely finished too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

£6.50 and I bet the pleasure and satisfaction you got from cleaning it up and getting it working again was priceless.

i mentioned on your other thread that I was interested in an LL Bean branded Hamilton 9721. Well Myron/RoverHaven has fixed me up with one. Excellent condition for its age, looks barely worn, although in need of a service. It was only sold for a short period 30 years ago. I have a Khaki branded version, also 30 years ago. Both close cousins of a favourite of mine, the RAF 6B.

RoverHaven's also sending me an LL Bean Branded Victorinox SAK to match.

I used to have a Bean but it looked like this:

11.9hp from (IIRC) 1921. Manageable at 30mph, terrifying at 40 and doing 45 in it is the scariest thing I've ever done in a car.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    What a beauty. Yellow finish and that gorgeous brass radiator. I would love a spin in that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    £6.50 and I bet the pleasure and satisfaction you got from cleaning it up and getting it working again was priceless.

i mentioned on your other thread that I was interested in an LL Bean branded Hamilton 9721. Well Myron/RoverHaven has fixed me up with one. Excellent condition for its age, looks barely worn, although in need of a service. It was only sold for a short period 30 years ago. I have a Khaki branded version, also 30 years ago. Both close cousins of a favourite of mine, the RAF 6B.

RoverHaven's also sending me an LL Bean Branded Victorinox SAK to match.
    Will love to see some photos of that 9721 - and the SAK - when they arrive!

You're right about the pleasure and satisfaction being priceless. The fact that a few hours of time and a few pounds of expenditure can result in a watch being brought back to life is immensely satisfying. Even if the watch only costs a few pounds to buy - and although it might still only be worth that when finished - it still gives me more personal and lasting pleasure than buying the latest "must have" watch costing hundreds or thousands. Every time I look at a watch I can remember that I saved it from landfill!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I used to have a Bean but it looked like this:

11.9hp from (IIRC) 1921. Manageable at 30mph, terrifying at 40 and doing 45 in it is the scariest thing I've ever done in a car.
    What a lot of fun though!

Lovely to see, and thank you for posting the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Will love to see some photos of that 9721 - and the SAK - when they arrive!
    All set for some springtime outdoorsy power-whittling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All set for some springtime outdoorsy power-whittling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice!

Did you whittle that spoon using the SAK, or with a hook knife?

Either way, it’s a nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Very nice!

Did you whittle that spoon using the SAK, or with a hook knife?

Either way, it’s a nice job.
    I tend to use the saw from a Victorinox Huntsman SAK to collect a bit of wood and the IC Cut Hiro or main blade of the SAK for roughing. The Hiro has a locking blade so I'll replace it with a Barlow.

Most of the whittling is done using a three blade whittler: clip, pen and coping blades. I like Solingen carbon steel. The one shown is an unused Boker.

I generally cheated and used a Dremel to finish the bowls. Latterly I have used a hook knife. I've recently bought the Old Timer. It's full of gouges, chiesels and hook knives. Looking forward to giving it ago.

My rate of production and quality is pathetic, but it can be fun and a change from looking at watches or taking part in pointles quibbles on the internet.

I tend to use the saw from a Victorinox Huntsman SAK to collect a bit of wood and the IC Cut Hiro or main blade of the SAK for roughing. The Hiro has a locking blade so I'll replace it with a Barlow.

Most of the whittling is done using a three blade whittler: clip, pen and coping blades. I like Solingen carbon steel. The one shown is an unused Boker.

I generally cheated and used a Dremel to finish the bowls. Latterly I have used a hook knife. I've recently bought the Old Timer. It's full of gouges, chiesels and hook knives. Looking forward to giving it ago.

My rate of production and quality is pathetic, but it can be fun and a change from looking at watches or taking part in pointles quibbles on the internet.
    That Boker looks very nice indeed - somewhat reminiscent of a Remington Waterfowl that I've got knocking around somewhere.

How are you finding the Old Timer? I have to confess to owning one which I haven't actually used yet, having only taken it out of the box to hone the various blades. It looks like it should be really useful, although it might take a bit of getting used to after the hook knives.

Like so many of my hobbies, I don't really dedicate enough time to it to get beyond the pure novice stage. Maybe the current lockdown will help to fix that?

Have you had any thoughts on what Barlow might replace the Hiro? I keep meaning to get a Taylors Eye Witness, though I did recently pick up this sambar handled example from Oakedge Knives (you can find them on facebook). Its a pretty little thing, though of course the sheepsfoot blade is not ideal for whittling.