closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Refreshing a Bean

Refreshing a Bean

Having bought an LL Bean Hamilton Mechanical (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...an-Field-Watch) I have been keeping my eyes open for other LL Bean watches.

Recently this one came up on eBay, a later quartz but interesting nonetheless.

Having won the watch for the princely price of £6.50 it turned up in the post a few days later.

The Ronda 515 movement was definitely dead, so a replacement was sourced together with a new sapphire crystal (the original was mineral, but if I'm going to replace the crystal then I prefer to use sapphire where possible).

A couple of hours to strip down the old watch, clean, replace the movement and glass, and then reassemble.

Makes for a nice beater I think.

Next up is yet another CWC G10.....

Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Haha ! You have been busy !
    Nicely finished too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

£6.50 and I bet the pleasure and satisfaction you got from cleaning it up and getting it working again was priceless.

i mentioned on your other thread that I was interested in an LL Bean branded Hamilton 9721. Well Myron/RoverHaven has fixed me up with one. Excellent condition for its age, looks barely worn, although in need of a service. It was only sold for a short period 30 years ago. I have a Khaki branded version, also 30 years ago. Both close cousins of a favourite of mine, the RAF 6B.

RoverHaven's also sending me an LL Bean Branded Victorinox SAK to match.

I used to have a Bean but it looked like this:

11.9hp from (IIRC) 1921. Manageable at 30mph, terrifying at 40 and doing 45 in it is the scariest thing I've ever done in a car.
    You can live in your car but you can't drive your house.

Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    What a beauty. Yellow finish and that gorgeous brass radiator. I would love a spin in that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    £6.50 and I bet the pleasure and satisfaction you got from cleaning it up and getting it working again was priceless.

i mentioned on your other thread that I was interested in an LL Bean branded Hamilton 9721. Well Myron/RoverHaven has fixed me up with one. Excellent condition for its age, looks barely worn, although in need of a service. It was only sold for a short period 30 years ago. I have a Khaki branded version, also 30 years ago. Both close cousins of a favourite of mine, the RAF 6B.

RoverHaven's also sending me an LL Bean Branded Victorinox SAK to match.
    Will love to see some photos of that 9721 - and the SAK - when they arrive!

You're right about the pleasure and satisfaction being priceless. The fact that a few hours of time and a few pounds of expenditure can result in a watch being brought back to life is immensely satisfying. Even if the watch only costs a few pounds to buy - and although it might still only be worth that when finished - it still gives me more personal and lasting pleasure than buying the latest "must have" watch costing hundreds or thousands. Every time I look at a watch I can remember that I saved it from landfill!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I used to have a Bean but it looked like this:

11.9hp from (IIRC) 1921. Manageable at 30mph, terrifying at 40 and doing 45 in it is the scariest thing I've ever done in a car.
    What a lot of fun though!

Lovely to see, and thank you for posting the photo.