closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up my Tudor BB58 on Sunday

Apprentice

Picking up my Tudor BB58 on Sunday

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Picking up my first luxury watch on Sunday - from an AD (in Scotland).

I went to one AD and they put me on a list, 7-12 months they said.

Went to this AD and they asked for a 50% deposit, and assured me 3 months at the most. It took two weeks.

Super excited about picking it up - I see there are a few owners on here. I am going for it on the bracelet. I have smaller wrists so it think it will work well for me. I was going to go for an Omega Speedmaster but a bunch of factors (cost vs. what you get and size) kind of steered me towards the BB58 instead. May still get one further down the line. Most expensive watch I’ve owned is a G-Shock so this is a big change.

I’ll post pics when I get it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Who is the AD? Fraser Hart?

Master
    Impressive first luxury watch. You won't need another..... Now as for 'want'.....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Who is the AD? Fraser Hart?
    Yup, it was Goldsmiths that said 7-12 months.

Enjoy picking it up. I tried one on and thought seriously about getting one, but didn't in the end. Felt great on the wrist, I also have smaller wrists. Maybe one day...!

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Picking up my Tudor BB58 on Sunday

Congratulations! One of the best watches in recent years, I feel... a great way to start. I’m thinking of picking one up myself later on in the year, and am just on my way to see a friend who has just bought one.

Master
    Sounds good! I also enquired with Fraser Hart while trying on a pelagos and they stated 10% refundable deposit with a 6-week max wait. Was certainly tempting.

Better than my recent experience with goldsmiths where I asked about the lead time on the new seamasters, where they proceeded to find the "watch expert" who flicked through a booklet and then asked if the watch had even launched, to which I had to give her my phone showing the watch available to buy on their own website.

Welcome and great choice for your first luxury watch. As someone else said, you’ll have absolutely no ‘need’ of anything else. It’s been my favourite watch since I got my hands on one a few months ago. So much so that I’ve hunted down the NATO and leather straps for it too. You’ve made the right choice going for the bracelet though. It’s the best look for it IMHO

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Sounds good! I also enquired with Fraser Hart while trying on a pelagos and they stated 10% refundable deposit with a 6-week max wait. Was certainly tempting.

Better than my recent experience with goldsmiths where I asked about the lead time on the new seamasters, where they proceeded to find the "watch expert" who flicked through a booklet and then asked if the watch had even launched, to which I had to give her my phone showing the watch available to buy on their own website.
    Yeah, something wasn’t right with them - their store has just opened but the woman in there told me they were among the top 20 stores in the UK, and would get it quicker. Weird.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations great watch. Wish I never sold mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by NCC66 View Post
    Welcome and great choice for your first luxury watch. As someone else said, you’ll have absolutely no ‘need’ of anything else. It’s been my favourite watch since I got my hands on one a few months ago. So much so that I’ve hunted down the NATO and leather straps for it too. You’ve made the right choice going for the bracelet though. It’s the best look for it IMHO

I am jealous, I think I want to do the same. Is it hard to get the bracelet off? I have a Bergeon spring bar tool but some folks say the tweezers are better?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post

Yeah that would put me off as well. The chap in Fraser Hart really knew his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbicus View Post
    I am jealous, I think I want to do the same. Is it hard to get the bracelet off? I have a Bergeon spring bar tool but some folks say the tweezers are better?

TBH I had one attempt, a close call, and a trip to my friendly local jewellers in case I damaged the lugs! It’s a tight fit and like you I don’t have tweezers. I think I need to invest in a pair but I’m lucky and I don’t get charged for strap changes, even on watches bought elsewhere. I also think I spend far too much money in said jewellers....

What's the deal with deposits?? I'm surprised by this, they could sell the watch easily even if the next guy on the list doesn't want it. Doesn't seem like a proper thing to do to me. After getting a BB in there I was offered a GMT or BB58, was told they could get me one quite easily and deposit was never mentioned.

Anyway, great watch, enjoy it.

Master
    What's the deal with deposits?? I'm surprised by this, they could sell the watch easily even if the next guy on the list doesn't want it. Doesn't seem like a proper thing to do to me. After getting a BB in there I was offered a GMT or BB58, was told they could get me one quite easily and deposit was never mentioned.

No idea tbh given how sought after they are. Goldsmiths also asked for a deposit for a seamaster.

You can get the bracelet off with the single fork Bergeon by compressing and lifting one end of the springbar up from the case hole at a time but for reinstalling I find the tweezers much easier as you can just compress both ends of the springbar and slide the SEL's in. Use plenty of tape!!

Big thing to watch for is letting the spring bar slip through out of the front of the lugs as it will leave dimples in the inner lug edges. I did this once on a Navi many years ago and it annoyed me so much I had to move the watch on to someone who cared less about such things.

Apprentice

I don’t know either - is that normal? I really don’t know.i thought it would be interesting to others on here what my experience was. Perhaps a larger deposit bumps you further up the list?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Really pleased with mine, easy to remove the bracelet with a spring bar tool but after trying other options have reverted to the bracelet, it’s far the best option if you ask me.

I agree, have had mine on a Tropic for a couple of months which gave a nice vintage look and was super light.

But I swapped it back to the stock bracelet last night and that set up is just so perfect visually and gives the modest dimensions some welcome heft.

Perfect one watch collection!

Had mine a couple of months or so and absolutely love it

I also have a Speedmaster, love the aesthetics and the history - but it’s only been worn once since the 58 arrived

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    You can get the bracelet off with the single fork Bergeon by compressing and lifting one end of the springbar up from the case hole at a time but for reinstalling I find the tweezers much easier as you can just compress both ends of the springbar and slide the SEL's in. Use plenty of tape!!

Big thing to watch for is letting the spring bar slip through out of the front of the lugs as it will leave dimples in the inner lug edges. I did this once on a Navi many years ago and it annoyed me so much I had to move the watch on to someone who cared less about such things.
    Thanks - what kind of tape is best? Electricians tape maybe?

Master

Electrical tape might leave a residue, masking tape perhaps?

I’m sure another member will be able to recommend something specific. It’s a good habit that I have yet to acquire, along with a tweezer type spring bar tool...

Congratulations on the incoming BB58! I recently tried one fitted with a nato, but I would likely hold out for the bracelet option if buying new. Although I could see myself ordering the nato as a alternative.

Dave
    Last edited by dforgrieve; 31st January 2020 at 23:07.

Craftsman
    A really great watch. Bought mine on the bracelet and it has remained on it as it just really suites it.

I find the blue tape that car detailers use is best, quite adhesive but no residue. It is a bit like masking tape but thicker and a bit stickier. My Tudor AD uses Sellotape and swears by it!!

Also bracelet fan here but it is a super versatile strap magnet.

Master
    Nice one, you will love it - my other watches haven't had much of a look in since I got a BB58.
    I took the bracelet off mine pretty much straight away & have been through NATO & leather, but now back on the bracelet - all look grear, but just works so well on the bracelet.
    Tolerances are tight, but the bracelet is easy enough to remove with a small fork tipped tool, just go careful & keep some pressure on the endlink to stop the springbar popping back into the hole.
    Enjoy!

Master
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the BB58, a stone cold future classic IMO.

Got mine from this forum a couple of months ago and it's a fabulous watch. Mine too is on the bracelet, I wasn't a fan of the rivet style when they introduced it on the other Black Bays but it does seem to suit the 58 which nails the vintage vs modern thing better than most. Mine's probably the most accurate mechanical watch I've ever owned, consistently +/- less than one second per day since I've had it.

Master
    Welcome and congratulations on an excellent choice. Fabulous all rounder!

Master
    Congratulations from another BB58 owner.
    I got mine just xmas and was told the waiting lists are going to get longer.

Journeyman
    Looking forward to seeing some pictures. I was told last weekend that I'm 4th on the waiting list for my BB58.

Master
    Bemused by all the talk of waiting lists for the BB58 and GMT model. Fraser Hart in Edinburgh (Princes Street) have had both in their window displays throughout the last year. I bought a BB58 with bracelet from them on 30th December. Just wandered in off the street, put my money down and toddled off with it. They’d just sold a GMT earlier that day.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Bemused by all the talk of waiting lists for the BB58 and GMT model. Fraser Hart in Edinburgh (Princes Street) have had both in their window displays throughout the last year. I bought a BB58 with bracelet from them on 30th December. Just wandered in off the street, put my money down and toddled off with it. They’d just sold a GMT earlier that day.
    Agreed it’s the same in London they are plentiful on bracelets, nato and leather.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Absolutely. Like I said above, when I bought my BB in there around early December they offered me a 58 and GMT "within a few days". They hadn't any in stock at that time but it wasn't difficult for them to lay their hands on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Really pleased with mine, easy to remove the bracelet with a spring bar tool but after trying other options have reverted to the bracelet, it’s far the best option if you ask me.

You went cycling with this on your wrist?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Yep, and sailing.

What should he be wearing?

I thought cyclists are weight weenies!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought cyclists are weight weenies!
    It’s all about aero these days.

I remove it for racing.

Master
    Computer on his handle bars

Most will have a cycle computer with the time shown or Garmin style wristwatch. Very easy to have an 'off' when you cycle, could end up being an expensive 'off' wearing a watch like that. Can't say I've ever seen a cyclist wearing a Tudor watch (or any other type of mechanical watch for that matter). Though, if he likes wearing it for cycling, all the best to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    It’s all about aero these days.
    it's not very aero....

Anything he wants as far as I'm concerned :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    it's not very aero....
    As I said, I take it off when I race.

Garmin 1030 on the bars.

To be fair I usually ride with a Seiko Quartz for fear of damage in a fall.

However I also think it’s maybe more likely that it’s taken by a burglar whilst I’m out cycling than getting damaged in a fall.

Apprentice
    Well I picked it up today and I love it. It’s just the right size for me. My Casio AE1200 went in the Tudor box as I couldn’t wait to have it on.

Congratulations - quite different to the Casio too! Enjoy

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice, remember it’s a rugged watch so you can wear it anywhere.

I like the look of these. Nice pick up.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Nice one, enjoy !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Well I picked it up today and I love it. It’s just the right size for me. My Casio AE1200 went in the Tudor box as I couldn’t wait to have it on.

Great pic.....I had one of the larger ones and this looks a perfect size. Enjoy.

Congratulations OP