closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Schofield Bronze: Sense check

Schofield Bronze: Sense check

In November I responded to a post on Schofield’s treasure releases, but then did some research on the company, and now have an intrusive nag for a bronze beater.

My collection is a little too large, and I have a Dornblüth coming at the end of the year, so I really shouldn’t add something else. I would classify Schofield as a microbrand, and one with a price tag that is frankly bonkers. Logically I shouldn’t, but I really really like the patinated bronze beaters.

About £3200 new for the still available B3, so bonkers. None for sale on the usual pre-owned sites, very few completed eBay transactions and few on SC, none bronze. If I wanted one, I would probably have to go all in new.

I can think of a load of reasons to not get one, but…..

If you have been where I am and ended up getting one, I’d be interested to know if it has enough about it to keep it in your collection, or if you tired of the watch and liberated it.

This is the kind of thing

I would appreciate a TZ sense check

Thanks

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Schofield and have been looking for that exact model on the second hand market for ages. It oozes cool and would make an excellent daily wearer (although not with a shirt they are rather tall).

I missed a preowned one which was up around the £2,500 Mark, so a £700 loss on new. Compared to some brands that's not too bad to be honest.

If you love it, go for it. The Schofield strap choice is vast, fairly priced and superb quality so you have a great choice to change things up. I think they throw in a second strap (of your choosing) for free if you buy brand new.

I look forward to a post on the incoming thread!

Also, I think they engraved the case back to your design as well if you wish, they really are a pleasure to deal with in my experience.

Craftsman
    It certainly is unique - I think it your desire for it is similar to my urge to buy a Fears Brunswick.
    It's not cheap enough to be an impulse purchase and the specs don't make it great value but the design really calls to me and I can't find anything similar enough to scratch the itch.

I will be buying the Fears later this year when the next batch drop so I can't attest to having no regrets but if you love the design enough that you know it will be a keeper then I say go for it.

Dave-I had the BB2 bought directly from Giles who is set up a few miles from me. I loved the dial and case, I loved the Sussex and England on the dial and really enjoyed wearing it.
    I owned it for a couple of years and sold it last year via ebay eventually.
    It is a big watch-if you can I suggest you get down to the new store Giles has in Sussex and try some on-he is a great guy to talk to and very enthusiastic.
    When I look back, I'm glad I owned it. It is probably considered by many to be quite pricey, but it is quite a unique piece.
    Good luck!
    Richard

Thanks Richard

I’m sure seeing one in the flesh is good advice, I’m just really far away from Sussex. Maybe I need to engineer a short break somewhere close by.

D

Craftsman
    I love almost all the Schofield designs, and the price whilst quite high, seems ok considering what goes into the dial & cases.
    The only thing that holds me back is the size. I'd jump straight in on a suitably scaled down version.

I love the designs but beware they are very high for a 3 hander! I went for a unique steel beater as I didn’t want a bronze watch after speaking to Giles on the phone.

If you email Giles I am sure you can then call to discuss your wants as you do have the option to customise by a bit of mixing and matching if they have the parts. He will also tell you if they have any preowned watches that are available as sometimes people do ask them. The experience is very friendly and personable and I would recommend Schofield.

However, they are expensive but remember you are getting a very personal service with lovely extras from a low volume watch manufacturer.

Can't recommend Schofield enough. I was one of the first customers for the Signalman GMT PR which I still own and absolutely love.
    It was a long time ago that I bought but at the time I met up with Giles and he did me a deal so I didn't pay full RRP. It also came with two straps and a gorgeous cigar tube complete with a cuban cigar.
    The experience is beyond just buying a watch. You feel part of a club somehow.
    Giles is so passionate and it's brilliant speaking to someone who can explain every single element and how it's made. Personally I'm not sure they aren't worth the money given all that.
    I traded my PAM 88 in order to buy my Signalman and, while they look very different, in some ways they are comparable so if you have tried a PAM or can get to DMR in Liverpool 1 to try one then you might get a (vague, I must stress), idea how a Schofield wears.
    I can't believe you'd regret it if you bought one, assuming the design appeals as you say it does.
    If you can wait then at some point in the next few months I'll be coming up to your direction. I'd be happy to bring the Signalman to show you.

Schofield Bronze.

I also sold a Pam on to buy a Schofield Signalman DLC, they are great watches, limited production and an amazing selection of extra’s, it’s all in the detail with Giles.
    I too will be looking at getting a bronze beater at some point, I really do like the style of Schofield watches, they are certainly just that little bit different to the norm.
    My daily wearer is a 44mm Pam and I’d say fit wise they are very similar.

I’m wearing my Signalman DLC today. It’s a great watch and Giles is a real enthusiast. I don’t think it’s overpriced at all, given the economies of scale that some of the big brands work at I imagine that it costs Giles more to assemble one of his watches than it does for the likes of Omega, Rolex etc to assemble one of theirs.
    Mine came pre-owned from Giles who was selling on behalf of the original owner so it may be worth a call to see if he has any pre-owned Beaters. I’ll echo what others have said though, Schofield’s are very tall so probably worth a try first.

I might drop Giles a message and see if he has a basic case he could send out. Dornblüth did that for me recently, and it was a great help if unable try out a watch in the flesh.

I know they are tall, but my Sinn U1 is 44m across and about 14.5mm tall, so doesn’t sound so dissimilar

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I’m wearing my Signalman DLC today. It’s a great watch and Giles is a real enthusiast. I don’t think it’s overpriced at all, given the economies of scale that some of the big brands work at I imagine that it costs Giles more to assemble one of his watches than it does for the likes of Omega, Rolex etc to assemble one of theirs.
    Mine came pre-owned from Giles who was selling on behalf of the original owner so it may be worth a call to see if he has any pre-owned Beaters. I’ll echo what others have said though, Schofield’s are very tall so probably worth a try first.

Snap!

So I have 3 - the steel signalman, a blue titanium beater ( one of only nine i believe) and the bb3 above.

The beaters are not as tall as the signalman so I am able to wear under a shirt (just).

I dont wear them that often - but usually go for the beaters. Giles is great to deal with and you can end up with alot of straps and other accessories.

You can pretty much design your own custom watch and go back at a later date and ask to swap parts - as I have been tempted when special dials have been made.

Lets be honest watches are expensive - and the movements are not special but they are robust and reliable. But its a cool club to be part of - and they are unique. As mentioned they also do not seem to pop up very often for sale..

https://instagram.com/p/Bex0XmHFC3I/

https://instagram.com/p/BdSg5duFWCB/

https://instagram.com/p/BdNb9cdlPz6/
    cheers

matt
    Last edited by MattH; 15th February 2022 at 23:01.