closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Six Nations - Its that time again

Master
    Blog Entries

Italy v Scotland

Someone please tell me this was an international game involving top players. What a terrible game.

Thank goodness wales France is good game

Jim

Master
    Loving the Wales France game. Constant drama.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Scotland marginally better than Italy, but poor fair. Actually I think Italy were the better team for most of the game, however they continue to make silly mistakes hence the score line.

As for France and Wales, a cracking game ending with the right result, especially when you consider they played 60 minutes with just 14 men. As for Wales, they played well in most parts, however they seemed to lack the flair they had 10 years ago. Perhaps if they played the game, rather than trying to play the referee all the time then perhaps! i must say that Dan Biggar, was starting to get right up my nose with his constant bitching a moaning.

PS it was never a penalty try.

England vs Ireland tomorrow, which hopefully will be just a good.

Nothing will be decided until the France vs Ireland in the final match. As it should be.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    i must say that Dan Biggar, was starting to get right up my nose with his constant bitching a moaning
    You just don't like Biggar, you have made this quite clear from previous comments despite his prodigious talent.

Biggar should never have played.

Not because he doesn’t deserve it: he is indeed very talented.

But he has already have 3 concussion protocols in the last few months, including 2 weeks ago against Ireland.
    Wales is playing Russian roulette with its players’ health.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 22nd February 2020 at 23:23. Reason: Corrected thanks to PickleB
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

But he has already have 3 commotion protocols in the last few months, including 2 weeks ago against Ireland.
    It took me a moment: fr Commotion = en Concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    It took me a moment: fr Commotion = en Concussion.
    Yes, sorry and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    You just don't like Biggar, you have made this quite clear from previous comments despite his prodigious talent.

You are not wrong but I am at least consistent because I said exactly the same about Greig Laidlaw for the same reasons. Wynn-Jones is another one who enjoys a good whine at the ref, but as captain he has the right.

Biggar is a great player, but his histrionics does him no favours.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

But he has already have 3 concussion protocols in the last few months, including 2 weeks ago against Ireland.

Not sure about Biggar, but George North must be a real worry.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Half time at Twickers and it has been painful to watch this far. Ireland have been shocking, especially at half back, and England have been unlucky not to be much further ahead.
    Surely it can only improve in the second half?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Unfortunately being out played today.
    It's just a matter of time...

I’m not sure we are actually all that good. It would appear Andy Farrell has made us worse

Against Scotland we were lucky
    Against wales we were good
    England should be much further ahead

Ireland looked better at the start of the forst half, but have faded away again. I think England will run away with this one ...

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Half time at Twickers and it has been painful to watch this far. Ireland have been shocking, especially at half back, and England have been unlucky not to be much further ahead.
    Surely it can only improve in the second half?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    How you feel about Biggar I feel about the boy Farrell. A royal PITA!! He needs to grow up.

J

You are not wrong but I am at least consistent because I said exactly the same about Greig Laidlaw for the same reasons. Wynn-Jones is another one who enjoys a good whine at the ref, but as captain he has the right.

Biggar is a great player, but his histrionics does him no favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    How you feel about Biggar I feel about the boy Farrell. A royal PITA!! He needs to grow up.

J
    He is the captain!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Good result for England today. They got the bounce of the ball a couple of timeS, but then so did Ireland especially with a few refereeing decisions. The attack on Farrell was bang out of order as was the late tackle on May.

Sexton had a mare, as did a few Irish forwards, but England played as well in the first half as I have seen them played since the New Zealand game.

Wales next and then Italy, I just hope that Ireland does England a favour in the last game.

Friedrich Nietzsche

J
    He will one day cost England, or far far worse The Lions dear, it's a matter of time. His rugby skills are superb and without doubt, but his temperament is shocking. A man child.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    He sure is Andy in the same way as Laidlaw and Wynn-Jones don’t forget.

Maybe Farrell just needs to learn to act it then and rid himself of his poor attitude.

Jim

He is the captain!

Pedantic Welsh mode: It’s not Wyn-Jones it’s just Jones

As in Mr and Mrs Jones not Mr and Mrs Wyn-Jones

Biggar needs to shut up though. Looks an idiot flapping his arms about

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Pedantic Welsh mode: It’s not Wyn-Jones it’s just Jones

As in Mr and Mrs Jones not Mr and Mrs Wyn-Jones

Biggar needs to shut up though. Looks an idiot flapping his arms about
    I thought they added letters because first names alone was not enough to tell them apart

Farrell got what he deserved, if he had released Stander when he should have he would have saved himself five good slaps.

The tackle on May wasn’t late, he mistimed his chip but it was illegal and should have been a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    Farrell got what he deserved, if he had released Stander when he should have he would have saved himself five good slaps.

The tackle on May wasn’t late, he mistimed his chip but it was illegal and should have been a penalty.

Firstly we did not see what happened earlier in the ruck, to cause Farrell to hang on. Perhaps he was getting a bit of a shoe’ing, however irrespective of Farrell hanging on (he was not the only one), it does not give an opponent the excuse to start punching him, especially after the ref had already awarded the penalty.

Not sure what you mean about “mistiming his chip”, but at least we can agree the tackle was late.

Friedrich Nietzsche

He sure is Andy in the same way as Laidlaw and Wynn-Jones don’t forget.

Maybe Farrell just needs to learn to act it then and rid himself of his poor attitude.

Jim
    Neither Laidlaw nor Biggar are captains hence have no need to talk to the ref unless spoken to. Jones and Farrell are, hence can and do.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Firstly we did not see what happened earlier in the ruck, to cause Farrell to hang on. Perhaps he was getting a bit of a shoe’ing, however irrespective of Farrell hanging on (he was not the only one), it does not give an opponent the excuse to start punching him, especially after the ref had already awarded the penalty.

Not sure what you mean about “mistiming his chip”, but at least we can agree the tackle was late.
    The Ref said it wasn't punching and ruled that Farrell had instigated the problem and gave no sanction against Stander so it clearly wasn't determined by the Ref to be foul play. Farrell really should have let go of Stander much sooner in the end it was a bit comedic and cost Farrell a Bitch-slapping.

I don't agree that the tackle was late, it wasn't, but it was a penalty.

Hope this clears up my position

The strength of Stander to rag doll Farrell about with one leg was impressive though

England deserved that win and were a dominant force pretty much throughout the match. I was sat amongst mostly England supporters at Twickenham and was shocked by the jingoistic chanting and braying around me. When did rugby supporters start to mimic the antics of the worst football supporters?

Six Nations - Its that time again

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    When did rugby supporters start to mimic the antics of the worst football supporters?
    That won’t happen until you fear for your life if seated next to them. Still vastly different types of fans.

Having said that - One of my best friends goes to football and rugby internationals and he turns from being a polite supporter into an obnoxious scumbag at the football match. Rather hard to fathom tbh.

I agree that the standard of sportsmanship among the spectators has taken a turn for the worse.
    Giant screens even need to reming the crowd to respect the kicker.
    It goes hand in hand with the change highlighted earlier on the pitch, with too many people whining to the ref.
    The fact that the after-match evening has disappeared contributes in my view to a loss of what the spirit of rugby was about, and exacerbates rivalry beyond the match where in the old days any on-field 'disagreement' was clarified and forgotten.
    Do you know where that spirit, both on the pitch and in the stands, is still alive? Have a look at the Women's Six Nations!

I agree that the standard of sportsmanship among the spectators has taken a turn for the worse.
    Giant screens even need to reming the crowd to respect the kicker.
    It goes hand in hand with the change highlighted earlier on the pitch, with too many people whining to the ref.
    The fact that the after-match evening has disappeared contributes in my view to a loss of what the spirit of rugby was about, and exacerbates rivalry beyond the match where in the old days any on-field 'disagreement' was clarified and forgotten.
    Do you know where that spirit, both on the pitch and in the stands, is still alive? Have a look at the Women's Six Nations!

I have attended many many international games over the years and one thing I have noticed is that they are becoming more and more frequented by people who attend an “event” rather than actual fans who actually understand the game. Clubs do get given tickets, however many of these are sold to the highest bidder in order to help support their clubs, others are sold directly to Corporate hospitality firms, who flog them to anyone prepared to pay the price.

Prem Rugby remains pretty good option, simply because only true fans (idiot/nutter) would sit in a uncovered stand at the Rec, in the pouring rain to watch Bath play Leicester (for example) 😀. Bloody good fun and good banter.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    England were simply the better team on the day, caught Ireland out by starting quickly.
    Sexton was woeful with most of what he did, especially kicking, ( that won't happen too often ).
    The ref was well below par, should have spotted a few late and potentially no arm clear-outs, as well as the late and illegal tackle on Johny May.
    The TMO is there for a reason, use it! Although the TMO has the benefit of replays, not sure why he didn't pick up a few less than legal plays.
    As for all the chatting about every decision, until the ref starts laying down the law and awarding penalties etc then it will continue, a bit like this habit now of taking an age to set up the line outs, that never used to happen.
    In my view it's still far better to watch than the round ball game, although there are a few divas appearing!!

You are right. Jingoistic language isn’t pushing a glass into someone’s face. I must have had a snowflake moment! There were a couple of guys on the train back to Waterloo that said they were sat near groups of beered-up yobs that paid little attention to the progress of play but sparked up whenever ‘swing-lo’ started. I guess it is becoming par for the course for internationals.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    That won’t happen until you fear for your life if seated next to them. Still vastly different types of fans.

Having said that - One of my best friends goes to football and rugby internationals and he turns from being a polite supporter into an obnoxious scumbag at the football match. Rather hard to fathom tbh.

Master
    Italy games in doubt - this would be such a shame!!
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...virus-in-italy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Italy games in doubt - this would be such a shame!!
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...virus-in-italy

Hopefully it will go ahead even if Italy have to travel to Twickers or perhaps France for the game, Toulon for example.

It will not change the result, but it will at least draw a line under the championship.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Hopefully it will go ahead even if Italy have to travel to Twickers or perhaps France for the game, Toulon for example.

It will not change the result, but it will at least draw a line under the championship.
    It’s not just about the team travelling though Andy, there are thousands of supporters who will be travelling too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eh hello! Laidlaw retired from international rugby as captain late last year so was ‘entitled’ to whinge and whine. He hasn’t played this series if you noticed.

And isn’t Biggar VC?

Jim

Neither Laidlaw nor Biggar are captains hence have no need to talk to the ref unless spoken to. Jones and Farrell are, hence can and do.

Six Nations - Its that time again

I think you will find that for the ref there is no such thing as a VC.
    The role is purely to communicate with its lines when the C is from the pack, and vice versa

Master
    Blog Entries
    And I think you’ll find in one of the weekend’s games the ref opted to speak to the VC during the match than the Capt. I just can’t recall which game or side it was.

Jim

I think you will find that for the ref there is no such thing as a VC.
    The role is purely to communicate with its lines when the C is from the pack, and vice versa

Could it have been a language issue?

Master
    And I think you’ll find in one of the weekend’s games the ref opted to speak to the VC during the match than the Capt. I just can’t recall which game or side it was.

Jim
    It was Saracens captain Jackson Wray

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It’s not just about the team travelling though Andy, there are thousands of supporters who will be travelling too.
    Who said anything about fans travelling from Italy. Twickers would sell out even if tickets were only made available to UK residents.

Not ideal I accept, but it would enable the game to go ahead in front in front of a full house. The risk otherwise is that the games are delayed and that France miss out on a potential Grand Slam, which seems a bit unfair.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Ireland v Italy Six Nations games postponed

Ireland's men's and women's Six Nations games against Italy in Dublin on 7 and 8 March have been postponed because of coronavirus.

Irish Health Minister Simon Harris said on Tuesday the men's game should be postponed and met with the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) on Wednesday...

See also IRFU Statement.

That’s a massive decision by the Irish, probably for the best though.

Fairly confident this won't be the last game called off. I'd imagine within a few weeks the football fixtures will get decimated as well as with a pandemic the last thing you want is tens of thousands of people in very close proximity

Master
    Who said anything about fans travelling from Italy. Twickers would sell out even if tickets were only made available to UK residents.

Not ideal I accept, but it would enable the game to go ahead in front in front of a full house. The risk otherwise is that the games are delayed and that France miss out on a potential Grand Slam, which seems a bit unfair.
    I’ll have to assume that this was posted in jest as it’s such a ridiculously suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ll have to assume that this was posted in jest as it’s such a ridiculously suggestion.

Nope. I was serious. The UK has a large Italian community, hence plenty of support here (no need to import more). As for the team, they could be tested before they travel.

Worse case play the game behind closed doors and simply televise it. It happens for some football matches so why not.

The really funny thing is to think that the result would be any different to the one everyone can predict - England to win by +20 points.

Friedrich Nietzsche

My favourite game tomorrow - England vs Wales (land of my father and all that).

So will we see a resurgent England (following wins against Scotland and Ireland) clinching the Home Nations crown? Or will the Red Dragons put aside their loss against Ireland and France and bounce back at Twickers.

I think it will be close, but England will prevail. Should be a good one.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Wrong weekend surely? Unless I’ve missed something...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Wrong weekend surely? Unless I’ve missed something...
    Nope, you are right - wishful thinking.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Well, an excellent first 70 minutes of Rugby yesterday, then wreaked by England having a player sinned binned and then having a player sent off (although a decision I (and Eddie) completely disagree with). I would also say that the Welsh try just after the start of the second half was simply sublime. Try of the championship - so far.

Plus Triple Crown Champions - nice .

As for France Scotland, an interesting first half. France are lucky not to be down to 13. If Manu was sent off for his tackle on North (given that North was already down) then how the hell did the Frenchman survive not getting sent off which looked to me like a spear tackle - he was through 180 degrees and his head hit the ground first. Mind boggling!

No augment about the actual sending off, it was a pretty good right hook

Hopefully Scotland will do England a favour and prevent a French Grand Slam.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Thought England played well that was a 3 point thrashing. Again I thought the Tuilagi red was harsh. Was a pen but not even a fellow IMHO