closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Techy-nerdy stuff

The smart services on my Samsung TV have always been crappy so I picked up a NVIDA SHIELD PRO - very impressed - there are a couple of services (nowTV, All 4) you need to chromecast but otherwise very good - amazing quick and a great plex media service - yes you can get cheap chinese media boxes but off previous history they will sort this for a while yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    The smart services on my Samsung TV have always been crappy so I picked up a NVIDA SHIELD PRO - very impressed - there are a couple of services (nowTV, All 4) you need to chromecast but otherwise very good - amazing quick and a great plex media service - yes you can get cheap chinese media boxes but off previous history they will sort this for a while yet...

just to follow this up - this has been great - it's also a very capable games console!

The Plex Media server is great - I used to put films on a stick for my in-laws but they just watch via their TV when they like via my plex server...

just to follow this up - this has been great - it's also a very capable games console!

The Plex Media server is great - I used to put films on a stick for my in-laws but they just watch via their TV when they like via my plex server...
    Never understood the point of plex. Can just watch films directly from my NAS and other connected devices w/o need for a server.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Never understood the point of plex. Can just watch films directly from my NAS and other connected devices w/o need for a server.
    It gives a slick interface to your media with all the art work, episodes, actor info. Remembers where you are in a series etc. Supports a lot of other functionality too.

I looked at PLEX but unfortunately my TV and synology Ds213+ NAS are too old run it via my nvida pro. I may have to revisit this as I've a lot of movies and TV shows.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

A re-post of my techy-nerdy post verification recently on SC:

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    It gives a slick interface to your media with all the art work, episodes, actor info. Remembers where you are in a series etc. Supports a lot of other functionality too.
    Fair enough thanks. Can see might be nice to have but personally not a great movie fan and happy to do w/o all that and just open and watch something. Never watch any 'extra content' on DVDs/Blu-rays either.

Having said this might install to see what all the fuss is about...

You're missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    You're missing out.
    If it's on the stuff already posted, no I'm not.

Master
    Definitely makes the whole thing more wife friendly. In the end I got a Plex pass as it gets used so much so my Synology can do hardware transcoding, people can play from their iPads etc. There also seems to be a lot of free films on there now via their own channel. I dunno if we can use the Tivo type features in the UK but that looks neat too.

If it's on the stuff already posted, no I'm not.
    Over the years I've tried pretty much every way of watching media both locally and while travelling and Plex is far superior to everything I've tried. This includes Synology's messy effort.
    Last edited by Tony; 28th September 2020 at 17:06.

Built my own supergun for playing JAMMA compatible arcade boards. Only got a couple of boards at the moment but it's quite good fun having my own arcade machine without a huge cabinet (which I don't have room for!).

Fair enough thanks. Can see might be nice to have but personally not a great movie fan and happy to do w/o all that and just open and watch something. Never watch any 'extra content' on DVDs/Blu-rays either.

Having said this might install to see what all the fuss is about...

for my father-in-law on the other side of the country, it's nice and straight forward - netflix like interface on the TV and he does not need to worry about how it is all set up.

Insomnia hit again last night so having got up at 03:30 I wanted something quiet to do to keep me occupied. Two hours later and I had pulled together a Raspberry Pi and a HyperPixel 4" square screen to display Album Art for the Living Room Sonos setup. Quite useless but that's not the point. Now need a 90 degree micro-USB adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Insomnia hit again last night so having got up at 03:30 I wanted something quiet to do to keep me occupied. Two hours later and I had pulled together a Raspberry Pi and a HyperPixel 4" square screen to display Album Art for the Living Room Sonos setup. Quite useless but that's not the point. Now need a 90 degree micro-USB adapter.

Ah I looked at doing that - was it hard?

Ah I looked at doing that - was it hard?
    No, not at all. Like all things with software commands and instructions you just have to check, double check and check again that the commands you're entering are correct. I found it remarkably satisfying as it's a bit Heath Robinson but works well. I have a friend with a 3-D printer and I've asked him to make a secure stand for it.

ETA. If you do build this then buy one of THESE 90 degrees micro USB adapters. It allows the unit to stand on a flat surface.
    Last edited by Skier; 4th October 2020 at 18:24.

so I upgraded my mouse to an Logitech Mx3 - it's fantastic. If you don't want to spend nearly £100 on a mouse the older MX model seems similar and quite a bit cheaper...

so I upgraded my mouse to an Logitech Mx3 - it's fantastic. If you don't want to spend nearly £100 on a mouse the older MX model seems similar and quite a bit cheaper...
    Did you upgrade to the MX Keys keyboard at the same time? I've been looking at prices on both but no real deals to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Did you upgrade to the MX Keys keyboard at the same time? I've been looking at prices on both but no real deals to be had.
    I did, got it on the Amazon Black Friday sale. Its very good, only thing which is annoying is not having dedicated page up, down, home and end keys, but I like the groove for the phone on it.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I did, got it on the Amazon Black Friday sale. Its very good, only thing which is annoying is not having dedicated page up, down, home and end keys, but I like the groove for the phone on it.

Whatever you bought is not the Mx keys...

Had the Mx Keys for a while - really like it.

Whatever you bought is not the Mx keys...
    Sorry. Quite right. Bought a K780.

Depressingly, looking back through my amazon purchases, I see I have bought a new keyboard pretty much every year. I suppose they get heavy use...

Depressingly, looking back through my amazon purchases, I see I have bought a new keyboard pretty much every year. I suppose they get heavy use...

If you spend as many of us do - eight hours a day at a keyboard I find it to be a good investment for the cost. Occasionally I'll be somewhere and have to use a basic office keyboard and it's like trying to type on a sponge cake...

Also I do a little bit of video editing so the MX 3 mouse is fantastic for that because of the side scroll wheel.

If you spend as many of us do - eight hours a day at a keyboard I find it to be a good investment for the cost. Occasionally I'll be somewhere and have to use a basic office keyboard and it's like trying to type on a sponge cake...

Also I do a little bit of video editing so the MX 3 mouse is fantastic for that because of the side scroll wheel.
    More like 12 hours so yes!

I have the MX mouse with the side wheel but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm only doing Word and Outlook work though with occasional spreadsheet so less call for it.

Had the Mx Keys for a while - really like it.
    I really want the MX Keys and the MX Master 3. I have a 27 inch QHD USB C monitor coming in about two weeks from Dell which was about £250 after discounts and codes and for that reason I'm struggling to pay £200 for a keyboard and mouse.

More like 12 hours so yes!

I have the MX mouse with the side wheel but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm only doing Word and Outlook work though with occasional spreadsheet so less call for it.

Something wrong somewhere - even as a minimum - in browser it should switch between tabs?

Something wrong somewhere - even as a minimum - in browser it should switch between tabs?
    Nope, that would be useful.

I'm going to upgrade to the MX Keys one once it's back in stock on Amazon, looks better although I will miss the groove for the mobile.

Nope, that would be useful.

I'm going to upgrade to the MX Keys one once it's back in stock on Amazon, looks better although I will miss the groove for the mobile.

I was toying between the K780and the MX Keys because we have an iPad and I thought it might be useful but based on that I wouldn't buy. Thanks for the head's up, I never would have thought to check

I was toying between the K780and the MX Keys because we have an iPad and I thought it might be useful but based on that I wouldn't buy. Thanks for the head's up, I never would have thought to check
    Nope I didn't either! The arrow keys are half size too which is a bit awkward.

It would be fantastic for an ipad though, the groove is a really clever idea and holds devices very stably, pity it's not on other models.

Upgraded to the MX Keys, it is much better. Not convinced by the stability of the Bluetooth connection, but can't figure out how to switch to the unifying receiver.

Upgraded to the MX Keys, it is much better. Not convinced by the stability of the Bluetooth connection, but can't figure out how to switch to the unifying receiver.

Have you downloaded the Logitech options software?

Have you downloaded the Logitech options software?
    Yup

Yup

Dunno then - Plugged in the receiver - and it all just connected.

Dunno then - Plugged in the receiver - and it all just connected.
    Yeah I tried that but can't get the unifying receiver to override the Bluetooth. Will remove the devices as Bluetooth and give it another try.

Dell 27" here, looks great for home office use. I'm planning on using the MX Keys and matching mouse. My laptop is work issue so quite locked down, need IT to approve everything -- can I configure it on my Mac and then just use on my Windows work machine? Or does it not really need configuring for most people? All I use is MS Office and Chrome. Most of my day is spent between Outlook, Salesforce and Excel.

Dell 27" here, looks great for home office use. I'm planning on using the MX Keys and matching mouse. My laptop is work issue so quite locked down, need IT to approve everything -- can I configure it on my Mac and then just use on my Windows work machine? Or does it not really need configuring for most people? All I use is MS Office and Chrome. Most of my day is spent between Outlook, Salesforce and Excel.

Yes should work just fine - even if they are locked down - the bluetooth should connect on the laptop.

Yes should work just fine - even if they are locked down - the bluetooth should connect on the laptop.
    Thanks, Bluetooth will work fine as I'll plug in the USB like I did the old more basic Logitech which my wife stole. Just wondering if the software is useful. If it is could I configure it on my personal laptop and the mouse would remember when I use it on my work laptop? I never ever use my work laptop.

Craftsman
    Would definitely recommend the MX Keys keyboard and the Logitech MX Master mouse. Yes, they are expensive but they are quality items and the battery life is really good. Only annoying thing is that you need the dongle but if you have both it'll recognise them as one so you only need one USB dongle.

Ordered the Logitech M720 Triathlon for £35 on Amazon. Going to use that and see how I get on until I buy a new desk on the weekend. The table I'm using at the minute doesn't have the depth for the monitor, laptop and keyboard so I'll give it a week or two using the keyboard on the laptop with the mouse. If the new desk has a decent depth I'll give my wife the M720 as an upgrade.

Master
    I bought a MX Anywhere for use with my work PC. Just plugged in the adaptor and it works fine. Didn't bother with the Logitech s/w as I would never get that on.

I put Retropie on an old pi I had lying about.
    Then I downloaded and tested all the games I used to play on my Spectrum.
    Next, the same for all my old Amiga games.
    Now I've discovered that it runs MAME, & having learnt what that is, I'm currently rebuilding the full 58GB ROM set to work on the pi.

I've spent a week of playing around setting it up and other than checking they work, I haven't actually played a single game yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I've spent a week of playing around setting it up and other than checking they work, I haven't actually played a single game yet.
    You'll be lucky if you spend 20% of the time making it work playing the games but sometimes that's the joy.

MX Keys arrives Monday. Should be good.

Hi, quick question for the users of Pi-hole: looking to buy a Pi3B+ because of the Gigabit LAN, wondering if I need a fan-cooled case? I was hoping not as the Pi-hole should be underutilising the Pi3B+ capabilities?

In regards to the power supply, I understand a standard mobile phone charger is not recommended, does it have to be an original Pi plug or will a Aukru plug for a third of the price do?

I have Pi Model B (not 3B, the original B), pi3 and pi4 in use. The pi-hole servers are running on the model Bs. They do not stress the machines and are fanless. The pi3 runs pi-aware ADS-B and I ran it 24x7 fanless for over 3 years without any trouble. It had good ventilation though.

The pi4 has "real" gigabit (the others are limited by the USB bus, not that it matters for a home DNS really though) and runs much hotter than the others. I use mine with a Pimoroni aluminium heatsink case. It seems okay. The ARM-based chips in the pi are similar to those used in mobile phones and are thus designed to be okay at high temperatures, but as always, think about the surroundings and where that heat will go if intending to run 24x7.

As for power supply, the pi3 and pi4 benefit from a decent power supply. A 10W Apple ipad (not iphone) charger works for the pi3 including powering the ADS-B stick. I use the official pi4 power supply for the pi4, as the pi4 revision I have has the USBC issue. Hope this helps. Pi-hole will be a revelation...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Hi, quick question for the users of Pi-hole: looking to buy a Pi3B+ because of the Gigabit LAN, wondering if I need a fan-cooled case? I was hoping not as the Pi-hole should be underutilising the Pi3B+ capabilities?

In regards to the power supply, I understand a standard mobile phone charger is not recommended, does it have to be an original Pi plug or will a Aukru plug for a third of the price do?
    No fan required runs at 45 cent here.

Psu get original as I had stability issues with phone charger at 2amp

Can a Pi expert on here tell me what I need to make a DAC pro+ with XLR output, the case, and power supply?
    I've read as much as I can but I'm still confused about the different cases and power supplies.
    I just want to see how well it compares to my other DACs. I want to play it through my Teac amp with XLR inputs.

It would seem you need this case:

https://thepihut.com/products/hifibe...eel-case-black

Plus a Pi4 (available from the same site), the DAC+ XLR board, and this power supply:

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-psu-uk

Note that you play or stream files from the Pi, you don't use it as an "external DAC" that attaches to (say) a CD player. My older build was here .