closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Techy-nerdy stuff

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Thanks for that, would not have known, will do it tonight.

Done. Thanks.

Indeed, thank you.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Thanks for the heads up. Would've missed that had I not seen your post.

Journeyman
    Now updated, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Keep an eye on it. No reported issues with this model but I was shocked to read this, especially as Belkin have an otherwise solid reputation: https://www.engadget.com/belkin-reca...175912761.html
    Suddenly paranoid ha

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Suddenly paranoid ha
    Oof. Its not an old product either. I hate to backseat, but if I were you I would consider returning it for full value while I can. I'd hate to be the recall case-study.

If anyone needs a webcam - I'm not sure you can beat this for the price?

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/accesso...liate%3Ark5fv4

(it also does Windows hello).

Next Raspberry project went into PoC today.

I built a tiny webradio to update our Yamaha bathroom radio. It does now stream my daughter's favourite kids' radio stations via a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Once it has proven that it's running stable, I will put it inside the radio.

I've had a Pi running PiAware, feeding flight data to Flight Aware. Strangely, it just stopped working and it seems that the data on the microSD got a bit messed up. A clean install and I'm back up and running.

Managed to configure it so that dump1090 now feeds 3 service providers simultaneously! 1. Flight Aware 2. Flight Radar 24 3. Radar Box.

The latter, Radar Box is worth doing as it allows you to share what your Pi sees live on their website.

Here's my live feed... could well be quiet/clear when you visit.

https://www.radarbox.com/stations/EXTRPI021481

I'm using this mast, currently propped up inside my study velux window. It only has line of sight out the back of the house so I've a wall bracket waiting for fairer weather and a ladder! I'll be putting it on a 6ft pole to get it clear of the roof which should see a massive increase in my max range.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 25th January 2021 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post

Managed to configure it so that dump1090 now feeds 3 service providers simultaneously! 1. Flight Aware 2. Flight Radar 24 3. Radar Box.
    Hi Johnny

Did you follow a guide to get all 3 set up? I've been sending data to FlightRadar for a couple of years on my pi (using their image). Last night, prompted by you as I fancied getting access to the Radar Box view, i used SSH to get into the Pi and set it up using a script i found to pass data to FlightAware - This now works fine but Flight Radar has now stopped (I suspect the FlightAware Config has taken control of the SDR radio) - So I need to work that out at some point. However I am happy to wipe it all and set up again if there is a a guide to getting all 3 services running and playing nice together?

Cheers
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilma View Post
    Hi Johnny

Did you follow a guide to get all 3 set up? I've been sending data to FlightRadar for a couple of years on my pi (using their image). Last night, prompted by you as I fancied getting access to the Radar Box view, i used SSH to get into the Pi and set it up using a script i found to pass data to FlightAware - This now works fine but Flight Radar has now stopped (I suspect the FlightAware Config has taken control of the SDR radio) - So I need to work that out at some point. However I am happy to wipe it all and set up again if there is a a guide to getting all 3 services running and playing nice together?

Cheers
    Neil
    I'm on my phone Neil. I'll type you up a proper step guide later tonight. I've tried this for myself and my Dad and starting with FR24 adding the rest doesn't work smoothly. Start with flight aware, then add fr24 and radar box.

I'll find the URLs and post here later.

John

Great thanks John!

Great thanks John!
    1. sign up 1st with flightaware at https://flightaware.com/
    2. download the piaware image: http://piaware.flightcdn.com/piaware...rd-4.0.img.zip
    3. Use balena etcher https://etcher.io/ to write piaware to the sdcard
    4. Before moving the SD card to your pi, add a file called ssh to your root folder to enable ssh remote access. User will be pi with password = flightaware
    4. Boot up your pi (i use ethernet, so no config needed)
    5. Goto Flightaware and claim the pi https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/claim

This is you running just FlightAware at this stage. Dump1090 is capturing and streaming all the ADS-B data. You now want to add the 2nd and 3rd providers but you do NOT want those providers to try and install dump1090 or you'll kill off the initial install. I like using FlightAware as the primary install as their piaware map is better than FR24 imo. You can also see loads of info via the flightaware website - incl your local IP and the ability to trigger remote upgrades, reboots, restarts of dump1090 and more. Very very handy.

Assuming at this point you have a piAware map up and running locally... now install FR24

1. ssh to the pi - I use a cmd prompt in Windows... ssh pi@192.168.1.xxx with password flightaware
    2. cd /etc
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
    4. The FR24 app will download and install. Fill out your details and say "YES" when it asks would you like to auto configure. Its smart enough to see FlightAware and not mess it up with a 2nd dump1090
    5. Log into FR24 on your PC/laptop and claim your pi https://www.flightradar24.com/activate-raspberry-pi

You'll have 2 running now. Confirm by looking at your account login on the FR24 website, 2nd option from the bottom of the menu "My Data Sharing". You'll see that you are online and feeding.

Last section... feeding Radar Box.

1. Sign up to radar box on their website.
    2. SSH to the pi
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://apt.rb24.com/inst_rbfeeder.sh)"
    4. You'll see the usual stuff fly by... answer yes to all.
    5. When its done, show your sharing key that was allocated to you
    Code:
    cd /etc
    sudo rbfeeder --showkey
    6. Now enter that key in the Radar Box website https://www.radarbox.com/raspberry-pi/claim
    7. You'll be asked to place a marker on your house to setup MLAT data sharing - do that and save. This writes your lon/lat into the pi remotely
    8. Now see are you feeding on Radarbox. ACCOUNT/STATIONS in the menu.
    9. MLAT didnt kick in until I powered off the pi and did a hard reboot.

That is it.... I'm sure I've missed some, but thats the crux of it.

Useful link for lon/lat and height above sea for MLAT config https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm

Let me know how you get on.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 28th January 2021 at 00:27.

Awesome. Thanks John. I'll give it a go in the morning!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

All up and running! Thanks for taking the time to add the instructions John!

All up and running! Thanks for taking the time to add the instructions John!

Happy days! I've a bracket and 6ft pole to get my antenna wall mounted outside as soon as the weather picks up. 130nm.is my max range so I'm chasing bigger numbers! Might add an amp too.

yeah just bought the antenna you linked and have eyed up a spot on top of the chimney to locate it once the wind/rain dies down.......

Here's an interesting one - I've always had spotify premium - however my phone contract came with Youtube Premium - for the same price (if I was paying) you get all the same music as spotify but also ad-free youtube and other features (youtube downloads).

Yes I know you can fudge some of this but if anyone is looking for a paid music services, it's worth a look because of being music PLUS...

Master
    Here's an interesting one - I've always had spotify premium - however my phone contract came with Youtube Premium - for the same price (if I was paying) you get all the same music as spotify but also ad-free youtube and other features (youtube downloads).

Yes I know you can fudge some of this but if anyone is looking for a paid music services, it's worth a look because of being music PLUS...
    Can I clarify, you get to keep your Spotify premium account and playlists etc as is and YouTube premium is a bolt on
    Or YouTube premium has the same music as Spotify?

I ask as I thought I’d read that YouTube premium was replacing the Google music platform and there had been a number of teething problems

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Next Raspberry project went into PoC today.

I built a tiny webradio to update our Yamaha bathroom radio. It does now stream my daughter's favourite kids' radio stations via a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Once it has proven that it's running stable, I will put it inside the radio.
    Anyone able to share their experience with webradios? My PoC is stuck.

I used Pi Musicbox, which is based on Mopidy and am not very happy. Firstly, it is very slow to react, starting new streams takes a very long time and I also find the web-UI slow and not very user friendly.

Anyone experience with streaming internet radio stations via a Pi? Or is this because I use a Zero with only 512 MB RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Can I clarify, you get to keep your Spotify premium account and playlists etc as is and YouTube premium is a bolt on
    Or YouTube premium has the same music as Spotify?
    It has the same music choice as spotify - they are unrelated services. Having used the app for a bit it's as good as the spotify one - the branding is a bit confusing you end up with:

* YT Music - the music service
    * YT Premium - YT with no ads, downloads, able to play in the background, additional shows.

My point was that if anyone was starting from scratch and looking to pay - I'm not sure I'd pick spotify over Youtube Premium - because you get more for the same price...

Anyone able to share their experience with webradios? My PoC is stuck.

I used Pi Musicbox, which is based on Mopidy and am not very happy. Firstly, it is very slow to react, starting new streams takes a very long time and I also find the web-UI slow and not very user friendly.

Anyone experience with streaming internet radio stations via a Pi? Or is this because I use a Zero with only 512 MB RAM?
    Have you looked at Volumio - I had that running on a laptop before I decided to buy more Sonos?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    It has the same music choice as spotify - they are unrelated services. Having used the app for a bit it's as good as the spotify one - the branding is a bit confusing you end up with:

* YT Music - the music service
    * YT Premium - YT with no ads, downloads, able to play in the background, additional shows.

My point was that if anyone was starting from scratch and looking to pay - I'm not sure I'd pick spotify over Youtube Premium - because you get more for the same price...
    Thanks, I’d hoped it was the former as I’ve a fair number of Spotify playlists I’d be loathed to lose and during covid times watching more (than healthy some would say) YouTube but am loathe to get yet another subscription service

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Have you looked at Volumio - I had that running on a laptop before I decided to buy more Sonos?
    Just installed Volumio and it works great, much better UI, phone app, responsive UI. That's what I need, thanks.

Second vote for volumio, also have mine running logitech media server, and the bbc sounds plug-in for lms so all live radio and catchup, plus spotify

volumio can find asset server on my desktop where the FLACs live

At the moment have a pi3 B+ with iqaudio dac+ HAT in a full naim olive system, sounds great

Thinking of getting another pi 4 with HiFiberry DacHD but everywhere out of stock

Even for a Pi numpty it was pretty easy to set up

Another pi-hole update today.

Raspberry Pi users of Raspbian or derivatives (most I suspect) may wish to read this:

https://github.com/MichaIng/DietPi/issues/4083

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Raspberry Pi users of Raspbian or derivatives (most I suspect) may wish to read this:

TT
    Good grief, I didn't know you could use VS on linux. Thanks.

So teams had an update and you can make an emoji appear over your video stream - a friend of mine was doing a redundancy meeting and actually hit the button to make a laughing smiley appear while he explaining to people their jobs were going... this did not go down well.

TT
    thanks for the info.

Is there a solution as yet apart from just blocking packages.microsoft.com ?

Not had time to read through this until the weekend.

HAve full raspbian with pihole and pivpn here as i didnt know if dietpi was too stripped back.

Raspbian users reacted calmly once they discovered the surreptitious addition of a Microsoft software repository into their distribution, expressing elevated levels of peevedom. In response, the Raspbian maintainers expertly followed the hallowed internet guidebook and marketing bible called "Needlessly Making Things So Much Worse". Denying, then admitting, then defending, then contradicting themselves, before locking the discussion thread and taking their ball home.

In a highly unexpected twist that must have taken everyone quite by surprise, this caused peevedom levels to rise. Some users declared themselves actually irked. Others threw Raspberry Pi burning parties, swearing never to pay the distribution maintainers another cent and threatening to take their loyalty and totally valueless business elsewhere. A situation known in the Linux distro community as "the status quo".

If you are concerned, there is a suggestion in the referenced post that will remove the Microsoft link. At least until the next update, or the maintainers of your distro decide to make it optional.

TT

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Good grief, I didn't know you could use VS on linux. Thanks.
    Yes. We all use it at work either in Virtualbox VMs or via WSL see https://pbpython.com/wsl-python.html for example

So I thought I'd give Edge another go because it has chromium underpinning it - on both my phone and desktop devices it seems much quicker than chrome? (even after I've put in my add-ons).

Thomas Reid
    I've run a RPI with a GPS timing receiver for years, using it as a local NTP server. A few weeks ago I had to change out the Trimble timing receiver as it was becoming unresponsive commands. I put in a Uputronics GPS/RTC board made for the RPI.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I bought an Allo raspberry pi kit and use moode audio as the interface. The DAC is really impressive and you can either play music stored on a remote source (like flac files from a NAS in my case), or store the files on the local SD card. The kit I bought includes car and psu.
    I got a SSL (Solid State Logic) S2 usb audio interface for its microphone preamp, so that I could use a decent microphone (Behringer XM8500 dynamic) for teaching and meetings. I've started to use the SSL S2 as a DAC and headphone amplifier. I'm suprised how well it sounds, especially as a headphone amplifier. I feed the main output to a small class-D amp connected to JBL Control One monitors. This is okay, but the class-D amp probably holds it back. But, all in all, a pretty good setup for my desktop computer audio.

One of the nice things about using it for microphone input and as a headphone amp is that it has real knobs. If I want to make sure the microphone is off, I just turn down the gain to 0. Similarly, the heaphone and main output are controlled by independen knobs. Much better than messing around with a mouse and virtual controls.

(I use an Apeman A80 action camera which I altered by putting in a lens with a narrower FOV for the video side of things. Much better than a standard webcam.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I've run a RPI with a GPS timing receiver for years, using it as a local NTP server. A few weeks ago I had to change out the Trimble timing receiver as it was becoming unresponsive commands. I put in a Uputronics GPS/RTC board made for the RPI.

Out of genuine interest, what do you do at home that needs such accurate and well-maintained time, compared to relying on Internet sources? Or is it just 'because I can'?

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Out of genuine interest, what do you do at home that needs such accurate and well-maintained time, compared to relying on Internet sources? Or is it just 'because I can'?
    Because I can!

Also, to calibrate my program for analysing watch escapements. Also, although not so much recently, network timing for house wide sync'd music.

In any case, for these things, the important thing is to have a local, reliable, NTP server. It needn't be quite as accurate as the GPS disciplined server. Actually, none of the watches I wear need to be better than about +/- one minute a day. But they are.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS
    Actually, I have two ntp servers running. The GPS disciplined one, and another which uses the GPS disciplined one as its source. Then all the computers in the house use that secondary one for their ntp source. Even the secondary one keeps time a couple of orders better than it would just using the net. And, more importantly, it has much, much less jitter. So, even the computers using the secondary source keep time much better than they would using a ntp server on the WAN.
    RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 1st March 2021 at 18:17.

Journeyman
    For the fellow pi-holers, I found this over on another forum, it tells your pi to go check for pi hole updates and install them (if any) at 7am every day:

If you SSH into the Pi, type in crontab -e and it will open a file. Scroll down to the bottom and add the following :

0 7 * * * /usr/local/bin/pihole -up

Save the file.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scooobydont View Post
    For the fellow pi-holers, I found this over on another forum, it tells your pi to go check for pi hole updates and install them (if any) at 7am every day:

If you SSH into the Pi, type in crontab -e and it will open a file. Scroll down to the bottom and add the following :

0 7 * * * /usr/local/bin/pihole -up

Save the file.
    I doubt you need to do it every day. Just use this https://crontab.guru/ to work out what schedule. Eg once a week you want.

Master
    just rebuilt my ubuntu nuc with a couple of vm's one open vpn and the other a pi-hole.

I thought I'd seen a list of recommended black lists etc for the pi-hole on here but can't seem to find them, any pointers?

See here for links to blacklists:

You can add additional lists of ad-serving hosts in the Group Management -> Adlists menu from the pi-hole configuration webpage. Some examples are here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/upda...ers-2019/13620

Remember, pi-hole is not just ad-blocking, but tracker-blocking. The latter are the more pernicious in my opinion. The "Top Blocked Domains" on my pi-hole main status page is usually full of tracking servers that have a.) not asked my permission to secretly track me and b.) been blocked.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    See here for links to blacklists:
    Thanks, that links dead but I’ll have a dig around there tomorrow

Master
    just rebuilt my ubuntu nuc with a couple of vm's one open vpn and the other a pi-hole.

I thought I'd seen a list of recommended black lists etc for the pi-hole on here but can't seem to find them, any pointers?
    I use this as the basis https://firebog.net/

Thanks, that links dead but I’ll have a dig around there tomorrow
    Sorry didn't check when I shared on mobile.

You can look here:

https://v.firebog.net/hosts/lists.php
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

My old link has died, apologies. You can try this:

https://dbl.oisd.nl/

(enter this in Group Management -> Adlists exactly as above, then Tools -> Update Gravity)

It may be the only list you need. It contains at present over 900,000 domains. Check the bottom of the page on https://oisd.nl/ for some things it is designed not to interfere with. As ever you may get false positives, especially with a list this size, to be ready to whitelist or re-enable your previous list(s) if you prefer.

TT

Master
    Sorry didn't check when I shared on mobile.

You can look here:

https://v.firebog.net/hosts/lists.php
    My old link has died, apologies. You can try this:

https://dbl.oisd.nl/

(enter this in Group Management -> Adlists exactly as above, then Tools -> Update Gravity)

It may be the only list you need. It contains at present over 900,000 domains. Check the bottom of the page on https://oisd.nl/ for some things it is designed not to interfere with. As ever you may get false positives, especially with a list this size, to be ready to whitelist or re-enable your previous list(s) if you prefer.

TT

Thanks both, I’ll take a look later.

Strangely I noticed an internet outage on a device pointed directly to the pi-hole for dns this morning, a simple re-start of the dns service and all was well again but strange it failed after being up less than 24hrs, also perhaps only anecdotal but it seems to coincide with a window of ovpn testing from a remote site.

Master
    Thanks to Raffe & TT for the pointers, updated on the 17th and no coincidental outages since.