closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Techy-nerdy stuff

^^^ many thanks TT. I need to connect to the outputs of a Sonos Port is that possible?

As-is, I don't think the Hifiberry/Pi works like a standalone DAC as a component in a chain. It plays media on the Pi (from its SD card, or attached disk), from a network accessible disk, or via Bluetooth or Airplay streaming from your phone. I think you would try it instead of a Sonos Port, rather than as a DAC for it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Can a Pi expert on here tell me what I need to make a DAC pro+ with XLR output, the case, and power supply?
    I've read as much as I can but I'm still confused about the different cases and power supplies.
    I just want to see how well it compares to my other DACs. I want to play it through my Teac amp with XLR inputs.
    I bought an Allo raspberry pi kit and use moode audio as the interface. The DAC is really impressive and you can either play music stored on a remote source (like flac files from a NAS in my case), or store the files on the local SD card. The kit I bought includes car and psu.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I've spent a week of playing around setting it up and other than checking they work, I haven't actually played a single game yet.
    You'll be lucky if you spend 20% of the time making it work playing the games but sometimes that's the joy.
    I completely agree.
    Most of the arcade games were designed to look great and to have instant appeal and addiction. They were not designed to be subjected to long sessions of gameplay.

I've always wanted a Pole Position machine though. I'm tempted to get (or make) a steering wheel and put it in a cabinet. And I had forgotten just how cool Atari's X-Y monitor games looked. It didn't matter how dull Battle Zone was to play, by God it was gorgeous. :cloud9:
    I still can't get Star Wars running though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Pi-hole will be a revelation...
    Looking forward to it, all the stuff is ordered.

Are you using it as as DNS server or is Pi-hole your DHCP server? Intuitively I would prefer to keep the DHCP on my router, but I have read somewhere that setting it up can be tricky if you have both native IPv4 and IPv6?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I looked at PLEX but unfortunately my TV and synology Ds213+ NAS are too old run it via my nvida pro. I may have to revisit this as I've a lot of movies and TV shows.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk
    I have almost the same setup. run Plex on synology NAS on to nvidia shield and it's superb. TV should be just a dumb terminal if you use the Nvidia. I'm not sure my synology is much younger than yours. the thing i have discovered is subtitle files can cause major buffering, so to be avoided if at all possible. The alternative is to re-encode with burnt in subs if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Are you using it as as DNS server or is Pi-hole your DHCP server? Intuitively I would prefer to keep the DHCP on my router, but I have read somewhere that setting it up can be tricky if you have both native IPv4 and IPv6?
    I currently run the pi-hole servers (yes, I run a pair) as DNS only. I previously used them for DHCP as well. It's no problem to set up and has the advantage that all the pi-hole logs will include the client host names rather than just the IP addresses. If you do run a pair, the "slave" can ask the master for hostnames too, so regardless of which pi-hole logs you are looking at, the hostnames will be available.

But my router's DHCP is permanently on, so to work around this, I had to narrow its range and then pre-assign those IPs to dummy hardware addresses. In the end I just switched off the pi-hole's DHCP and run my router's. But either works and it is not tricky to try, and not tricky to switch back.

As a suggestion, if your pi will be dedicated to pi-hole (a good idea in my opinion) an easy way to set it all up is to use diet-pi as the base install image. This is a small Debian-based distribution, optimised for server boards, without any of the cruft often bloating other options. It also includes an option to install pi-hole when you are configuring it. Which makes it all very simple to setup and maintain.

Thanks, will have a look.

Another week until all the hardware is here.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I currently run the pi-hole servers (yes, I run a pair) as DNS only. I previously used them for DHCP as well. It's no problem to set up and has the advantage that all the pi-hole logs will include the client host names rather than just the IP addresses. If you do run a pair, the "slave" can ask the master for hostnames too, so regardless of which pi-hole logs you are looking at, the hostnames will be available.

But my router's DHCP is permanently on, so to work around this, I had to narrow its range and then pre-assign those IPs to dummy hardware addresses. In the end I just switched off the pi-hole's DHCP and run my router's. But either works and it is not tricky to try, and not tricky to switch back.

As a suggestion, if your pi will be dedicated to pi-hole (a good idea in my opinion) an easy way to set it all up is to use diet-pi as the base install image. This is a small Debian-based distribution, optimised for server boards, without any of the cruft often bloating other options. It also includes an option to install pi-hole when you are configuring it. Which makes it all very simple to setup and maintain.
    Hadn't come across diet-pi, one of my pi-holes (on a very early model pi) keeps falling over, so may be that would help. The 4B seems to be very stable so I will leave that alone. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Hadn't come across diet-pi, one of my pi-holes (on a very early model pi) keeps falling over, so may be that would help. The 4B seems to be very stable so I will leave that alone. Thanks.
    One of my early models (Model B, original series) kept crashing, which was entirely solved by changing the SD card. It's been running 24x7 for literally years since then, without a hiccup. Might be worth a try.

One of my early models (Model B, original series) kept crashing, which was entirely solved by changing the SD card. It's been running 24x7 for literally years since then, without a hiccup. Might be worth a try.
    Might try a new SD card with dietPi, thanks.

I just set up an old rpi2 with pi-hole. I’m not actually sure it works much better than browser based ad blockers to be honest. It does block ads in apps but the one thing I really wanted it to do was block ads in the YouTube app, which it doesn’t totally do. It also seems to get bypassed when you connect to a commercial vpn. Maybe I’ve done something wrong?

Anyone set up a flight tracker on a pi?

Yup - I set up following the instructions on FlightRadar. The great thing is you get a business subscription for free as thanks for uploading the data........

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/h...tion-for-free/

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I just set up an old rpi2 with pi-hole. I’m not actually sure it works much better than browser based ad blockers to be honest. It does block ads in apps but the one thing I really wanted it to do was block ads in the YouTube app, which it doesn’t totally do. It also seems to get bypassed when you connect to a commercial vpn. Maybe I’ve done something wrong?
    I've found it doesn't block all ads, depends how they are hosted. Where it wins, IMO, is that sites cannot tell you are blocking them so that you don't get the annoying messages asking you to whitelist them. Don't know about vpns but I'm guessing your pi DNS is overridden.

You can add additional lists of ad-serving hosts in the Group Management -> Adlists menu from the pi-hole configuration webpage. Some examples are here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/upda...ers-2019/13620

Remember, pi-hole is not just ad-blocking, but tracker-blocking. The latter are the more pernicious in my opinion. The "Top Blocked Domains" on my pi-hole main status page is usually full of tracking servers that have a.) not asked my permission to secretly track me and b.) been blocked.

Just purchased a MiSTer FPGA setup. Tidy kit, currently enjoying some classic SNES/MD/Arcade games on my old CRT for that authentic 90s experience.

Master
    Interesting to read about using the pi as a DNS. Isn't there third party DNS providers that will achieve the same end at little or no cost?

Took me a good hour to set up my new Raspberry Pi with Diet-Pi, absolutely fool-proof. Thanks for the coaching, Paul.

I have Pi-hole running now and just disabled uBlock Origin. Very curious...

Just got mine running as well. For the 1st time ever it's actually been possible to read one of Dunk's Peterborough Telegraph links .

Not buying a micro HDMI adapter slowed things down a bit but with a bit of fiddling with SSH we're in business.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I also finally connected mobile phone and tablet via VPN to the home network, now these will be ad-free even outside of home (I still have hope that I will be able to leave the house again one day...).

Figured my Raspberry Pi3B+ was far too powerful to waste it on Pi-hole alone, so was thinking of other use cases.

Something which was bugging me for a long time is that all the cloud providers don't allow ftp access, I have a security camera and for obvious reasons don't want to use the native cloud offer of the camera maker, so had to run an old NAS in the basement so that the camera can push its images onto a ftp server. I installed an ftp server on the Pi and mounted my Onedrive via RCLONE, now I can push the images via ftp to the mounted Onedrive via the Pi. The whole thing turned out a little more cumbersome than I had hoped as the RCLONE packages have an error which omits one of the services required for the mounting of cloud servers. There are dozens of Reddit pages about the problems, none of them seems to have a conclusive answer and I am particularly proud that I could solve it (after almost three hours of fiddling in the middle of the night). Not bad for somebody who typed his first ever Linux command earlier today.

I already know the next little project: a streaming server connected to Onedrive. Maybe tomorrow.

There are dozens of Reddit pages about the problems, none of them seems to have a conclusive answer and I am particularly proud that I could solve it (after almost three hours of fiddling in the middle of the night). Not bad for somebody who typed his first ever Linux command earlier today.

I already know the next little project: a streaming server connected to Onedrive. Maybe tomorrow.
    When CCIE?

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    When CCIE?
    Night be another week or so...

To be honest I'd caution against filling up perceived unused capacity on your Pi. The beauty of the Pi Hole is that it's a single-function blackbox device and you run the risk of making it less reliable. Given the cost of the hardware I'd be more minded to just get another one for the security stuff. In fact, if you're going to be fecking around so much I'd get a third one just to use as a sand box.

You just want the Pi Hole to work all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    To be honest I'd caution against filling up perceived unused capacity on your Pi. The beauty of the Pi Hole is that it's a single-function blackbox device and you run the risk of making it less reliable. Given the cost of the hardware I'd be more minded to just get another one for the security stuff. In fact, if you're going to be fecking around so much I'd get a third one just to use as a sand box.

You just want the Pi Hole to work all of the time.
    Yes that is my thinking - I want the pi hole just to work...

Seems like such a waste of processing power... But you are probably correct.

Two more Pis ordered today.

It's funny how addictive they can be. I purchased one of the 1st generation, farted around with it for a bit and then it sat in a cupboard until I give it to a colleague last year who was trying to get his son into programming. I toyed with the idea of using one as an ersatz Sonos last year but just ended up buying more into that eco-system and, having just loaned out my Ubuntu laptop to a friend's daughter for home schooling, I'm tempted to get one to bolt to the back of my 2nd monitor. Quite why I would need to do that, I haven't worked out yet .

I wish I understood this s**t. I really do.
    A lot of what you guys are making sound attractive, like a home VPN for example.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    It's funny how addictive they can be. I purchased one of the 1st generation, farted around with it for a bit and then it sat in a cupboard until I give it to a colleague last year who was trying to get his son into programming. I toyed with the idea of using one as an ersatz Sonos last year but just ended up buying more into that eco-system and, having just loaned out my Ubuntu laptop to a friend's daughter for home schooling, I'm tempted to get one to bolt to the back of my 2nd monitor. Quite why I would need to do that, I haven't worked out yet .
    That sounds like a great idea, I am sure I'll have an idea in double-quick time. Just let me browse the Pi forums. I was actually thinking of building a decent webcam yesterday, I am so tired of the crap which Logitech sells for top dollar.

In regards to Sonos, there are a number of interesting sound applications already embedded into the diet-pi platform, not sure why anyone would need or want a Sonos and become hostage to their ever-changing strategy?

I tried pi- hole but it slowed my network to a halt.

Probably something to do with BT and their router.

I meant to figure out why but never got round to it.

Anyone else using it with BT and a home hub 6?

After watching some Johnny darko vids about raspberry pi stuff I'm really tempted to try one as a streamer. I've been looking at the Allo DIGIONE signature with the Pi4 (use over WiFi) and use it as a roon end point for my hifi and sonos gear. Only issue is its about £340 and my current Nas is too old to be supported so would also need to invest in a NUC with SSD to run roon core and maybe plex. So thats another £350-400. And then eventually get rid of the old Nas and replace with larger SSD's. Also then there is the Roon subscription. Getting expensive. It would allow me to move away from sonos eventually though.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

I have never knowly used a ISP provider router - I think I have a home hub 6 in the garage from my last broadband upgrade...

In regards to Sonos, there are a number of interesting sound applications already embedded into the diet-pi platform, not sure why anyone would need or want a Sonos and become hostage to their ever-changing strategy?
    It's about being invested already and not wanting to have two different, concurrent systems. If I was starting from scratch then it would be Raspberry Pi all the way- for the time being I'm staying with Sonos 1st generation and won't reconsider until they pull the plug on that. So probably next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I have never knowly used a ISP provider router - I think I have a home hub 6 in the garage from my last broadband upgrade...
    What is the problem with using a Home Hub router for a BT customer? Asking for a friend myself.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    What is the problem with using a Home Hub router for a BT customer? Asking for a friend myself.

R
    Really nothing as long as you close their loopholes to fiddle with the settings. You'd be surprised what kind of access they have into your network.

With cable internet you don't have a choice on modems and unless things have changed recently must by law use the one supplied. If I was with anyone else than Virgin (especially BT) I would have my own modem no question.

I bought a Ubiquiti router and in the summer I'm going to rip out the network here and start again. Virgin router into modem mode, Ubiquiti as the router and then into the mesh network. Depending on deals I might upgrade to WiFi 6 mesh and give the current mesh to my in-laws as I know they won't pay for decent WiFi coverage.

With cable internet you don't have a choice on modems and unless things have changed recently must by law use the one supplied.
    Wow, why would that be?

I have cable internet and use my own Fritz Box, which is closed for monitoring, maintenance and setup by provider and manufacturer.

Wow, why would that be?

I have cable internet and use my own Fritz Box, which is closed for monitoring, maintenance and setup by provider and manufacturer.
    I can't find the link now but Virgin, who AFAI are the only Cable internet provider, (not sure how Hyperoptic work, they're not available in my area) do not allow it at all.

You can put their bundled modem/router/wireless AP into modem only mode and then connect in your own router (what I'll do) but you cannot bypass their equipment and must at least use their modem or you won't receive any service at all.

When 5G gets bigger that might give more options but for now you don't have a choice. I can have 1gig internet here via Virgin whereas BT (and all the other companies offering rebranded BT services) offer a max of 50mb so I only really have one option.

I can't find the link now but Virgin, who AFAI are the only Cable internet provider, (not sure how Hyperoptic work, they're not available in my area) do not allow it at all.

You can put their bundled modem/router/wireless AP into modem only mode and then connect in your own router (what I'll do) but you cannot bypass their equipment and must at least use their modem or you won't receive any service at all.

When 5G gets bigger that might give more options but for now you don't have a choice. I can have 1gig internet here via Virgin whereas BT (and all the other companies offering rebranded BT services) offer a max of 50mb so I only really have one option.
    They are insiting on their own end points? No real reason for that, the technology is standardised and any modem would work the same.

But in any case, it's not the modem but the router you need to have an eye on. So what you are doing should be good enough as long as you close the maintenance access and make sure the router doesn't send usage statistics to provider or manufacturer (which also lots of non-provider supplied routers do).

They are insiting on their own end points? No real reason for that, the technology is standardised and any modem would work the same.

But in any case, it's not the modem but the router you need to have an eye on. So what you are doing should be good enough as long as you close the maintenance access and make sure the router doesn't send usage statistics to provider or manufacturer (which also lots of non-provider supplied routers do).
    Apparently the reason is the serial number of the device is already recognised by the network as they supplied it so can plug and play. If you had your own modem you would need to call them up and they would need to include the MAC address or something in their back end to allow it to work.

I've got the Ubiquiti Edgerouter X which seems to have decent reviews but avoided installing it in the summer as I didn't want to break the CCTV which is also on the network as that would mean needing someone to come over but in the summer I'll try upgrade that anyway and see if I can do it myself. Will give me something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    See below - I've always just had better gear and it would be a downgrade for me.

With cable internet you don't have a choice on modems
    This is mixing up two different things - I'm on FTTP so have to use the BT modem but they don't care what router I use. Googling, Virgin don't care either.

I bought a Ubiquiti router and in the summer I'm going to rip out the network here and start again. Virgin router into modem mode, Ubiquiti as the router and then into the mesh network. Depending on deals I might upgrade to WiFi 6 mesh and give the current mesh to my in-laws as I know they won't pay for decent WiFi coverage.
    I have Orbi which is why I would not downgrade to a home hub.

My newer laptops are all Wifi6 so will look at wifi6 towards end of year when the gear is slightly cheaper...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 3rd January 2021 at 17:20.

Master
    Probably worth changing the logging on Pi-Hole to avoid so many SD card writes by logging more to RAM. See https://mcuoneclipse.com/2019/04/01/...rawan-gateway/

Master
    You can add additional lists of ad-serving hosts in the Group Management -> Adlists menu from the pi-hole configuration webpage. Some examples are here: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/upda...ers-2019/13620

Remember, pi-hole is not just ad-blocking, but tracker-blocking. The latter are the more pernicious in my opinion. The "Top Blocked Domains" on my pi-hole main status page is usually full of tracking servers that have a.) not asked my permission to secretly track me and b.) been blocked.
    Easiest to use this link https://firebog.net/ for Adlists

Not overly tech or nerdy but Belkin have finally released a decent wireless charging stand. Ordered one for each of us.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9451186

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    I tried pi- hole but it slowed my network to a halt.

Probably something to do with BT and their router.

I meant to figure out why but never got round to it.

Did you set it up with the additional (totally optional) Unbound? Its a separate package that complements Pi-Hole. However, there are some settings you'll want to disable to ensure it doesn't grind your query speed to a halt. Specifically:

Not overly tech or nerdy but Belkin have finally released a decent wireless charging stand. Ordered one for each of us.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9451186
    Keep an eye on it. No reported issues with this model but I was shocked to read this, especially as Belkin have an otherwise solid reputation: https://www.engadget.com/belkin-reca...175912761.html

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Keep an eye on it. No reported issues with this model but I was shocked to read this, especially as Belkin have an otherwise solid reputation: https://www.engadget.com/belkin-reca...175912761.html
    Thanks for the head's up, I will keep an eye on it. The whole reason for going Belkin and not Anker was reputation.

Purely anecdotal, but I feel like in the last 3 years Anker have actually leapfrogged Belkin. Belkin have a solid reputation for what they manufacture, but they haven't exactly been pushing the envelope. Meanwhile Anker are making the smallest USB-C PD chargers, wireless buds, and projectors. The branching out seems to have only benefited them.

Apple even stock some Anker products on their online store (not sure about retail stores) which must be the ultimate seal of approval for them. I have a lot of Anker stuff in the house and car and like the power banks a lot.

I did look at the Anker PowerWave stand but I think it looks a bit ugly and preferred the look of the Belkin. Also it's £26 without the charging lead whereas the Belkin is £30 with the lead. Hopefully it doesn't go on fire!