closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Techy-nerdy stuff

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor set-up and I am thinking of going Ultra-wide - this is for work and video editing - I do not game.

Any recommendations or thought? Do not want to spend more than £500.

Master
    cant help but keen to understand if having an ultra wide screen could replace my two 24" monitors? presume it could but worried im missing something

it would be a lot neater thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    cant help but keen to understand if having an ultra wide screen could replace my two 24" monitors? presume it could but worried im missing something

it would be a lot neater thats for sure.

Basically yes - so if you go 34" you are at the same height as 27" normal and I think 28" is the same high as 24".

In my set-up below - I was thinking of having the ultra-wide replace the two monitor on the right - the monitor on the right would move over and became a portrait screen for documents, the 1440p monitor on the left would move over to the left desk and become part of a dock set-up (you can see the USB-C dock just about...)

Last edited by Alansmithee; 30th April 2020 at 11:41.

I've been through the process of looking at monitors and did examine the ultra-wide option as I've finally made the shift to working with two monitors. Given that I work with a fair number of apps and windows open I don't really understand how I would automatically tile windows in the same way as maximising them within the respective monitors works at present. The other reason for looking at ultra wide was that, once I hopefully spend more time in the office, the monitor will give SWMBO an upgrade and her oldish macbook can only support one external monitor; ultra-wide would give her more screenspace though I have no idea how the whole tiling thing would work on Macs (and given their typically woeful approach to maximising windows anyway).

I'd say if you have a docking option to support it, I'd stick with multiple normal size.

My new monitor should be here today!
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I've been through the process of looking at monitors and did examine the ultra-wide option as I've finally made the shift to working with two monitors. Given that I work with a fair number of apps and windows open I don't really understand how I would automatically tile windows in the same way as maximising them within the respective monitors works at present. The other reason for looking at ultra wide was that, once I hopefully spend more time in the office, the monitor will give SWMBO an upgrade and her oldish macbook can only support one external monitor; ultra-wide would give her more screenspace though I have no idea how the whole tiling thing would work on Macs (and given their typically woeful approach to maximising windows anyway).

I'd say if you have a docking option to support it, I'd stick with multiple normal size.

There are quite a few programmes that are designed for this - WinSplit is one I've seen recommended before, but there's a lot of them around (https://www.geckoandfly.com/26633/sp...windows-macos/)

I've been through the process of looking at monitors and did examine the ultra-wide option as I've finally made the shift to working with two monitors. Given that I work with a fair number of apps and windows open I don't really understand how I would automatically tile windows in the same way as maximising them within the respective monitors works at present.
    Never used a Mac - Windows has a native 'snap' function that is easy to control.

Yes - the left hand desk is where a laptop would be used so I'd have a monitor on a arm so that when not used, it's a clear desk..

Might be worth looking at this. Not the be all and end of but a very good site I use as a first port of call to get an idea from.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...wide-monitors/

Master

You might find that the older Mac can only output a 1080p resolution, I looked a while back and my 2013 mbp is limited to a single second screen at that resolution. If so I’d be interested in your results using an ultra wide at that res.

Not sure if people know this but if using Windows 10 the it’s really easy way to arrange windows on an ultra wide or normal size monitor. If you want two windows open side by side then select one window and click “start + left or right arrow button” The window will slide to chosen half of the screen, double click the other window and will fill the other side of the screen, up and down arrows do the same.

Hope that is clear?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Never used a Mac - Windows has a native 'snap' function that is easy to control.
    Thanks - with a bit of practice I've just managed to get Windows snap working but, at least for my own use, I think I'll stick with two monitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You might find that the older Mac can only output a 1080p resolution, I looked a while back and my 2013 mbp is limited to a single second screen at that resolution. If so I’d be interested in your results using an ultra wide at that res.
    I've checked and it would seem that hers will output to 2560 - however the linked review from wileeeeeey above has this:

Resolution: Unless you’re using your monitor exclusively for gaming or movie watching, an ultrawide should have a resolution of 3440×1440 or higher. The text on every 2560×1080 ultrawide we tested was pixelated and hard to read, and the lower resolution negates the extra screen space that makes an ultrawide appealing. 4K- and 5K-equivalent ultrawide monitors aren’t widely available yet.
    SWMBO needs to have two documents open next to each other so it doesn't sound like Ultrawide will be a solution. In any case we'll hitch up the 4k 27" monitor (when it arrives!) and see what it looks like. I'm not optimistic and I suspect she's going to need a new PC at some stage.

Master
    Thanks - with a bit of practice I've just managed to get Windows snap working but, at least for my own use, I think I'll stick with two monitors.

I've checked and it would seem that hers will output to 2560 - however the linked review from wileeeeeey above has this:

SWMBO needs to have two documents open next to each other so it doesn't sound like Ultrawide will be a solution. In any case we'll hitch up the 4k 27" monitor (when it arrives!) and see what it looks like. I'm not optimistic and I suspect she's going to need a new PC at some stage.
    Some digging around suggest you can get close, but only with 30fps refresh rate which might be acceptable for documents.

Then there’s some hoo-doo about using twin display port connections and I lost the will...

Said hoo-doo: https://blog.fosketts.net/2015/11/09...a-macbook-pro/

That said if its a late 2013 / 2014 you should be good.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 30th April 2020 at 19:50. Reason: I said hoo-doo Dang it

Thomas Reid
    In October I got a monitor that would allow me to have two a4 documents open side by side. It was a 26" 1920 x 1200 (16:10, which is important) Iiyama ProLite E2607WSD. Even with my old eyes, it works fine, and was £65 (2nd hand).

Best wishes,
    Bob

That said if its a late 2013 / 2014 you should be good.
    It's a year or two earlier than that .

Go Super Ultrawide (49")

Craftsman
    I hadn't noticed this thread before, but having read up on Pi-Hole, I will be giving that a go.

I have a few Pi's about doing jobs. Nothing as constructive as you guys though. Historically, they ran Sickbeard and Sab, but run other newer versions of them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Go Super Ultrawide (49")

Thy does look incredible. What kind of graphics card would you need do that? I only have a Dell XPS 15 at home, plugged into a 32 inch wide screen, as it couldn't handle a 4k or an ultra wide screen.

Journeyman
    Just found this thread also, yes running pi-hole here on a pi, its brilliant and very easy to use and tweak.

The monitor arrived at the beginning of the week and I really like it - I have the new Philips 4k as main monitor with an Iiyama 24" (borrowed from the office) as the 2nd one. My work Lenovo laptop and oldish personal laptop work at 4k nicely enough on the Philips although I can feel that not having dedicated memory has a slight hit on performance load - I'm not doing anything that suffers as a result so I'm happy. SWMBO's Macbook outputs at 1920 x 1080 as a maximum resolution and she's worked out how to have snap two applications/documents onto it - I think I would want more screen estate but we'll see how she copes. The resolution is fine for document work though obviously not as sharp if it were working at 4k. I think, if I were her, Ultrawide might be the best option but I'll let her continue to test when I don't need the second screen (I'm currently trying to do one day in the office a week).

I recently replaced 2 x Dell Ultra Sharp 27" monitors with the Samsung C49RG90SSU; it was a bit of an indulgence. I have it connected to my desktop with the facility to connect various laptops via USB-C/HDMI --> HDMI Switch --> Monitor. The laptops can't make use of the full screen resolution but that's not why I bought it (I'm not a gamer). Stunning monitor.

Last edited by Skier; 10th May 2020 at 09:16.

Thomas Reid
    Gosh, that is impressive!

Best wishes,
    Bob

Who knew it would be so hard to get decent webcams and keyboards this far into lockdown?

Pretty much everything I would consider is out of stock everywhere...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 23rd May 2020 at 21:59.

Thomas Reid
    Who knew it would be so hard to get decent webcams and keyboards this far into lockdown?

My sympathies!

I had trouble finding hair clippers. I finally got something that works, and, best of all, for which they have guides going up to 48mm, which is what I wanted. It is a "Beast Clipper" from Skullshaver.eu. Just thinking about the name makes me feel more manly! :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

At the same time, we've bought some nice 4 ply linen designer facemasks online from a women's clothing store. So, I'm feeling reasonably conflicted. :)

The masks are mostly for the piece of mind of others. They are more efficacious with respect to outgoing than incoming.

RLF
    Last edited by rfrazier; 24th May 2020 at 11:08. Reason: Additional comment.

I've just bought a webcam from Novatech. The annoying this is I have a Microsoft webcam that works on Linux but not on Windows 10 - no driver available for Win 10! Unfortunately I had to have one for use on Win 10.

I'm quite lucky that I already had what I needed. We bought one of these to try out in the office a while ago and I've become a recent adopter (although I use a headset so am only using the camera). I tend to position it in front of my 2nd monitor so that I get as near as possible to making eye contact.

I'm quite lucky that I already had what I needed. We bought one of these to try out in the office a while ago and I've become a recent adopter (although I use a headset so am only using the camera). I tend to position it in front of my 2nd monitor so that I get as near as possible to making eye contact.

So I've always had two desks in the home office - the one already has a decent webcam but equipping the second is more tricky at the moment because there are now two of using the office on a full-time basis until September - my Lenovo C940 webcam is pretty good but I'd like a decent stand-alone...

What is the maximum you can realistically expect for speed over wifi?

I am upgrading to a 910mb connection and although the main machine will be hardwired, not all the clients will - even on high-end kit, I'm likely to top out at 500mb(ish)?

Master
    What is the maximum you can realistically expect for speed over wifi?
    Here's a coupleof pages which suggest that the actual speed is considerably lower thna the link speed:
    https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-...f-wireless-374
    https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is...network-816543

It depends on several factors including what standard of connection you have & how many clients are using it.

Blog Entries
    What with the amazing abilities of computers nowadays, it is perhaps ironic that the most exciting thing at the moment for me is Windows Terminal 1.0.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    What with the amazing abilities of computers nowadays, it is perhaps ironic that the most exciting thing at the moment for me is Windows Terminal 1.0.
    I still spend nearly as much time in a terminal as I do using GUI programs, linux however.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I still spend nearly as much time in a terminal as I do using GUI programs, linux however.
    In practice I think a lot of system admin on Windows systems is done at a terminal/console session. But this isn't new: In 1998-1999 or so I was tasked with setting up customer facing NT4 web servers for a UK ISP and most stuff could be done at the console and automated with scripts. As I recall, the only thing that seemed to defy command line configuration were the dreaded Frontpage extensions that were so very popular back then as a simpler alternative to ASP scripting.

That said, the Windows console/terminal story has improved massively over the years though, especially with Powershell and cmdlets for all sorts of server software.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just replaced my aging Asus router with networking kit from Ubiquiti.

2x 8 port switches:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MU3WUX1/

USG3P:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Ne...dp/B00LV8YZLK/

AP-AC-LR:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Ne.../dp/B016K5A06C

Interface Demo here:
    https://demo.ui.com/manage/site/default/dashboard

All up and running, along with a new DHCP server. Just need to set up VLAN to get all my IoT devices (lights, cameras etc) off my computer network on into somewhere safer....

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Just replaced my aging Asus router with networking kit from Ubiquiti.

All up and running, along with a new DHCP server. Just need to set up VLAN to get all my IoT devices (lights, cameras etc) off my computer network on into somewhere safer....

Very nice - if I cannot convince the nice openreach man to accept a brown envelope to install my FTTP ONT modem in the home office on the first floor - what is my best option to maxmise speed - literally ethernet cable up wall and through floor?
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 9th June 2020 at 13:19.

Master
    Very nice - if I cannot convince the nice openreach man to accept a brown envelope to install my FTTP ONT modem in the home office on the first floor - what is my best option to maxmise speed - literally ethernet cable up wall and through floor?
    On the flip side, how fast do you need?
    Obviously you could try the faster home plugs but what’s the bottle neck?

On the monitor front I bought this at the start of lock down, much easier than two, also with big spreadsheets and PowerPoint much easier.

On the flip side, how fast do you need?
    Obviously you could try the faster home plugs but what’s the bottle neck?
    It's the upload speed I'm interested in - doing a lot of video work at home - big file sizes into the gig - if I'm paying for 900/120 - I want the desktop machines to benefit from that.

Home plugs and extenders are a waste of time in my view, I'd never bother with them because even the 1000Mbps will never reach that speed - so it's either Ethernet or updating the wifi network to an AX set-up.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 10th June 2020 at 16:03.

It's the upload speed I'm interested in - doing a lot of video work at home - big file sizes into the gig - if I'm paying for 900/120 - I want the desktop machines to benefit from that.

Home plugs and extenders are a waste of time in my view, I'd never bother with them because even the 1000Mbps will never reach that speed - so it's either Ethernet or updating the wifi network to an AX set-up.
    I think you've answered your own question - you can't beat a bit of copper.

Master
    Yep copper is the way for this use case

Helpfully a mate of mine who is currently furloughed as a shop-fitter (POS and the like) has pointed out he has a van full of gear and will work for a bottle of decent scotch...
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 10th June 2020 at 20:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you're doing any sort of renovation or can run cable easily, my advice is to always do it. More reliable, faster and less RF in the house so a win-win-win

Blog Entries
    If you're doing any sort of renovation or can run cable easily, my advice is to always do it. More reliable, faster and less RF in the house so a win-win-win
    In fact, I'd suggest installing fibre (as well as copper). Fibre is not expensive to install and gives an easy upgrade path to reliable 10G.

Master
    In fact, I'd suggest installing fibre (as well as copper). Fibre is not expensive to install and gives an easy upgrade path to reliable 10G.
    Given that you can now buy a 12 port 10Gbase-T switch for £460 from Amazon I'd suggest there's no reason to run fibre - CAT6a will do ok in a domestic ebvironment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VS1XJZ6
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-8-P.../dp/B07554MF44
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ELW0QM4

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Given that you can now buy a 12 port 10Gbase-T switch for £460 from Amazon I'd suggest there's no reason to run fibre - CAT6a will do ok in a domestic ebvironment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07VS1XJZ6
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-8-P.../dp/B07554MF44
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ELW0QM4
    640K should be enough for anyone.
    Cat5 should be enough for anyone.
    Cat6a should be enough for anyone.
    10G should be enough for anyone.

Install fibre (as well as Cat6a), even if you can't see a use for it for the foreseeable future. ;-)

There is also the Microtik CRS305-1G-4S+IN which is a 4 port 10G SFP+ switch for only £120. Yes, you'll need SFP+ fibre transceivers but these are only about £20 each.

Master
    640K should be enough for anyone.
    Cat5 should be enough for anyone.
    Cat6a should be enough for anyone.
    10G should be enough for anyone.

Install fibre (as well as Cat6a), even if you can't see a use for it for the foreseeable future. ;-)

There is also the Microtik CRS305-1G-4S+IN which is a 4 port 10G SFP+ switch for only £120. Yes, you'll need SFP+ fibre transceivers but these are only about £20 each.
    Almost correct imho

If it’s a forever home install conduit so that you can pull in the correct medium at the time you need it, and change it easily if/when needs change.

If it’s not a forever home 6a where needed as I cannot see fibre being a mainstream domestic requirement in the next 5-10 years

Blog Entries
    If it’s not a forever home 6a where needed as I cannot see fibre being a mainstream domestic requirement in the next 5-10 years
    Cat6a isn't a mainstream domestic requirement either, to be honest! It's only a subset of people nowadays who need a wired network at all (as opposed to wifi). All IoT stuff is wireless first, phones are wireless, laptops are wireless, etc.

But if one is in the subset of people who are reasonably considering installing wires, it is to my mind foolish not to put fibre in when the chance is there. It costs so little, why not. It provides ultimate flexibility.

Of course, in a few years you might find you've installed the wrong sort of fibre but hey, it's still worth installing it now.

But yes, better still to make sure you have conduits in which you can easily install new wire/fibre in due course, as and when needed.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cat6a isn't a mainstream domestic requirement either, to be honest! It's only a subset of people nowadays who need a wired network at all (as opposed to wifi). All IoT stuff is wireless first, phones are wireless, laptops are wireless, etc.

But if one is in the subset of people who are reasonably considering installing wires, it is to my mind foolish not to put fibre in when the chance is there. It costs so little, why not. It provides ultimate flexibility.

Of course, in a few years you might find you've installed the wrong sort of fibre but hey, it's still worth installing it now.

But yes, better still to make sure you have conduits in which you can easily install new wire/fibre in due course, as and when needed.
    Maybe niche again but I'd always put Cat6a in if you anticipate using cameras. PoE is far better than wireless and negates running power everywhere or even worse, using battery-operated kit.

Maybe niche again but I'd always put Cat6a in if you anticipate using cameras. PoE is far better than wireless and negates running power everywhere or even worse, using battery-operated kit.

Couldn't you just do that with power over fibre? Oh, wait...

Blog Entries
    Yes, absolutely. I have been saying that fibre should be installed alongside copper when the opportunity arises, not instead of it.

Couldn't you just do that with power over fibre? Oh, wait...

Interesting project for sonos owners

https://www.hackster.io/mark-hank/so...-screen-5b0012

Interesting project for sonos owners

https://www.hackster.io/mark-hank/so...-screen-5b0012
    Damn you! I can't resist having a play with this and I just know it's going to take several hours of an upcoming weekend.