closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strapcode or Seiko bracelet?

Craftsman

Strapcode or Seiko bracelet?

Hi folks,
    I have a Seiko SPB079J1 incoming and would like to get a bracelet for it..do people recommend going for a Strapcode or try source an original Seiko bracelet?

Strapcode seem to have a fair few options.

https://www.strapcode.com/collection...or-seiko-mm300

Recommendations appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Master
    I only have experience of the Seiko Turtle bracelet which I guess is pretty low end - the Strapcode I bought to replace it is leagues above.

I have both on Seiko Alpinists. The Strapcode bracelets are very well made and in my case the end links are custom made for the Watch case so is a superb fit. The only down side is that the clasp is quite large. I also have a few OEM Seiko bracelets and I think I prefer those, they do tend to be lighter, smaller clasps in the case of my watches, but the down side of course is the price. An OEM bracelet brand new will cost at least double what a Strapcode bracelet will cost.

The bracelets in that link won't fit. That's for the mm300 which is much bigger.

Master
    Have you looked at Uncle Seiko - does he do bracelets for modern Seiko's - I think that he does for a couple of models

they have a UK site and delivery is almost next day

I have a few of his straps and have always been pleased with the price/quality

For "originality" OEM is always best!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The bracelets in that link won't fit. That's for the mm300 which is much bigger.
    Thanks I just blindly assumed they would fit. I'll have a dig around the site. It's 20mm right?

Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks I just blindly assumed they would fit. I'll have a dig around the site. It's 20mm right?
    Think so, I bought the SPB077 for the bracelet and then sold the watch head only after but only because there was a really good deal at the time.

Craftsman
    Think so, I bought the SPB077 for the bracelet and then sold the watch head only after but only because there was a really good deal at the time.
    Thanks I'm in no rush so will research a bit. I had a Strapcode on my alpinist and the clasp is bulky

Craftsman
    Gnom have the Seiko bracelet or eBay around 200 dollars. Strapcode equivalent be about 130 Dollars..which is the best bet?

Gnom have the Seiko bracelet or eBay around 200 dollars. Strapcode equivalent be about 130 Dollars..which is the best bet?
    A genuine Seiko bracelet that is correct for the Watch is always going to be better. Just depends if you would rather have something a bit cheaper.

Your call 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A genuine Seiko bracelet that is correct for the Watch is always going to be better. Just depends if you would rather have something a bit cheaper.

Your call 👍
    Thanks some say the Strapcodes are better?

Thanks some say the Strapcodes are better?
    I'm very happy with my strapcode bracelet and the end links are specifically designed for the Watch. Generally the bracelet is a little heavier and the clasp is a little bigger, but on the wrist you cannot tell the difference.

Seiko bracelet

Strapcode bracelet

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 31st January 2020 at 16:47.

Craftsman
    So you have a Seiko bracelet on yours?

So you have a Seiko bracelet on yours?
    Yes, two pics pieced together attached to give you an idea.

Craftsman
    Thanks, it does look good. I'll wait till I get the watch but if I'm going bracelet I think I'll go the Seiko oem.
    Cheers,
    Mick

- - - Updated - - -

Wileey...do you mind me asking your wrist size? Mines about 7.4 inches

Thanks, it does look good. I'll wait till I get the watch but if I'm going bracelet I think I'll go the Seiko oem.
    Cheers,
    Mick

- - - Updated - - -

Wileey...do you mind me asking your wrist size? Mines about 7.4 inches
    I'm 7.25 inches, mostly chub so not a 'flat' wrist if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Your call 
    I must disagree a bit but of course it depends what Seiko AND what Strapcode we are talking about.

I think we all can agree that lower end bracelets like "president" on SKX -line are not very good by today standards. No solid end links and yes folded parts.

Step up and look from Seiko Monster to Sumo. Monster of course do have straight end pieces but bracelet is solid steel and clasp is from stamped parts. It is good enough to me.

I donīt have Sumo anymore but if I remember correctly the bracelet (links) is about similar quality as it is on Monster but clasp was more refined "inside" so folding parts like machined style. And SEL parts of course.

Now to Strapcode. They have a few different clasps to choose and I have these:

1. Stainless Steel Push Button Diver Clasp about 20 USD clasp alone (3 micro adjusting holes)
    2. Stainless Steel V Clasp Double Lock Button Diver Buckle about 28 USD clasp alone (6 micro adjusting holes)
    3. Stainless Steel Wetsuit Ratchet Buckle Button Control diver extension clasp about 63 USD clasp alone (6 micro adjusting by ratcheting)

The cheapest one is on the "Sumo level" and to me that is already rather good. Other ones are "better" so more machined style. Maybe more expensive Seikos (from Sumo) can be compared but that I donīt know.

Then to links.

I have bracelets on....

1. Super-O Boyer on Turtle and with clasp no1. How ever I didnīt like no2 on that Super-O Boyer in my Turtle (too massive) so cheaper was better to me.
    2. Super-J Louis "President" on 6309-720A and with clasp no1.
    3. Endmill on SKX009 and with clasp no2.
    4. Hexad (black) on my (black) Samurai with Ratchet clasp no3. Looking good. Quality is good but I am thinking that maybe no2 could be good too to this.

Parts are connected by pin screws. Not so in Seiko bracelets so Strapcode is bit "better" here.

Bottom line is that I believe by my experiences that at least compared Seiko under 1000 euro price level Strapcode bracelets are better.

I like to hear where Seiko goes over. And maybe this is what to compare from start:

https://www.strapcode.com/collection...-ss-bcl20-b066

JP

Quote Originally Posted by JP (Europe) View Post
    I must disagree a bit but of course it depends what Seiko AND what Strapcode we are talking about. JP
    Totally agree and maybe you have more experience of both than me. I specifically use both for 20mm lug Alpinists. The Strapcode is specifically designed for the Watch and a 3D brushed Oyster is a very popular choice for owners of the Green SARB017 which comes on dreadful plastic straps.

The OEM bracelets for these watches (used on the SARB013 and 015) is a similar looking brushed Oyster, but the clasp is a lot smaller and generally thinner than the Strapcod clasp.

The range of Strapcode bracelets for this Watch alone is incredible with at least a dozen to choose from.

There isn't much in it, but owning both, I would personally give the nod to the Seiko bracelet. It feels lighter and more comfortable.

Clearly things will differ on different watches.

Craftsman
    Appreciate the response. If I may ask, which Strapcode bracelet would you recommend for this watch? If you wouldn't mind providing a link would be great. I had the Strapcode two tone for my alpinist and thought the clasp was a little bulky for the style of watch but the diver is bigger so might be more suitable
    Thanks,
    Mick

Quote Originally Posted by JP (Europe) View Post
    I must disagree a bit but of course it depends what Seiko AND what Strapcode we are talking about.

I think we all can agree that lower end bracelets like "president" on SKX -line are not very good by today standards. No solid end links and yes folded parts.

Step up and look from Seiko Monster to Sumo. Monster of course do have straight end pieces but bracelet is solid steel and clasp is from stamped parts. It is good enough to me.

I donīt have Sumo anymore but if I remember correctly the bracelet (links) is about similar quality as it is on Monster but clasp was more refined "inside" so folding parts like machined style. And SEL parts of course.

Now to Strapcode. They have a few different clasps to choose and I have these:

1. Stainless Steel Push Button Diver Clasp about 20 USD clasp alone (3 micro adjusting holes)
    2. Stainless Steel V Clasp Double Lock Button Diver Buckle about 28 USD clasp alone (6 micro adjusting holes)
    3. Stainless Steel Wetsuit Ratchet Buckle Button Control diver extension clasp about 63 USD clasp alone (6 micro adjusting by ratcheting)

The cheapest one is on the "Sumo level" and to me that is already rather good. Other ones are "better" so more machined style. Maybe more expensive Seikos (from Sumo) can be compared but that I donīt know.

Then to links.

I have bracelets on....

1. Super-O Boyer on Turtle and with clasp no1. How ever I didnīt like no2 on that Super-O Boyer in my Turtle (too massive) so cheaper was better to me.
    2. Super-J Louis "President" on 6309-720A and with clasp no1.
    3. Endmill on SKX009 and with clasp no2.
    4. Hexad (black) on my (black) Samurai with Ratchet clasp no3. Looking good. Quality is good but I am thinking that maybe no2 could be good too to this.

Parts are connected by pin screws. Not so in Seiko bracelets so Strapcode is bit "better" here.

Bottom line is that I believe by my experiences that at least compared Seiko under 1000 euro price level Strapcode bracelets are better.

I like to hear where Seiko goes over. And maybe this is what to compare from start:

https://www.strapcode.com/collection...-ss-bcl20-b066

JP

Appreciate the response. If I may ask, which Strapcode bracelet would you recommend for this watch? If you wouldn't mind providing a link would be great. I had the Strapcode two tone for my alpinist and thought the clasp was a little bulky for the style of watch but the diver is bigger so might be more suitable
    Thanks,
    Mick

Now this is very much up from your taste not mine. How ever seems to be so that we see clasps similar way so I think what ever you like but with clasp no2. Ratchet clasp is also very nice quality but it is also rather big. But it suits to Samurai so why not.....

JP

I have a strapcode oyster for skx and a jubilee for the turtle, much much more rewarding and satisfying than the originals.
    But you have a rich man' seiko so... I dunno.

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman
    Do they have oyster for the watch I have?

IMO, Strapcode bracelets are much better than the original Seiko bracelets.

Craftsman
    Thanks I'm very tempted by the j Luis but would like to see it on the watch or get some opinions

Craftsman
    Was reading on another forum that as the watch is coated with diashield a Strapcode bracelet would be a slightly different shade and wouldn't match properly

try an uncle seiko i tried a strapcode for my 6309 7040 and had to file it to fit...then i went to uncle and got a gl831 rubber...they do some great metals too.

The bracelet in the link is not correct for your watch and I doubt would fit correctly at the lugs.

Also worth noting that your watch as you point out is coated with diashield which gives it a slightly different sheen, so to have a perfect match you would need to look for an OEM bracelet.

I have sent you a PM.