closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MotoGP 2020

MotoGP 2020

I think it's time to start a new thread for this year. Remembering how things went between Rossi and Lorenzo when they rode for the same team I'm intrigued by:

Rossi and Yamaha agree to take time to decide future plans

Following discussions between Yamaha and Rossi, the Italian will take until mid-2020 to make the final call whether he will remain an active rider in the MotoGP World Championship in 2021. This time frame was requested by Rossi to evaluate his competitive speed compared to the MotoGP™ grid only after completing the first seven or eight races of 2020.

and:

Jorge Lorenzo returns to Yamaha

Starting from the MotoGP shakedown test, held in Sepang, Malaysia from 2-4 February, Lorenzo will ride the YZR-M1. He will also take part in other Official IRTA Tests and some private Yamaha tests this year, with the sole aim to help Yamaha‘s engineers with the 2020 MotoGP development. The Spaniard is the perfect man for the job as he is known for his smooth, precise riding and clear feedback. He will be supported in his search for innovation by Silvano Galbusera, who will be Crew Chief for Lorenzo in the Yamaha Factory Racing Test Team.

So far, no wild card rides are planned for Lorenzo in 2020, but Yamaha is open to the possibility, should he decide to race again.

Should be a year of consolidation, and hopefully Yamaha can step up with a more competitive bike.

I’m looking forward to 2020’s season, but 2021 looks like it could be equally interesting in rider selection, as I believe most contracts are up for renewal then too, with the exception of the news of Vinales and Quartararo signing for the factory team. We might see Rossi and Lorenzo on factory spec satellite bikes :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    hopefully Yamaha can step up with a more competitive bike.
    Certainly hope so. Marquez had it way too easy last year.
    Last edited by andy tims; 30th January 2020 at 17:04.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

There may be hope in another Yamaha signing...Ducati defection:

...Yamaha has won the latest victory in this war. The Iwata factory that has suffered so badly in recent seasons has hired Ducati electronics engineer Marco Frigerio to crunch the zeroes and ones at Monster Yamaha from next season.

Electronics have been Yamaha’s biggest issue during its miserable last few seasons, so could Frigerio’s arrival finally return Valentino Rossi and Maverick Viñales to the front of the pack? Quite possibly...

Electronics will help, but yamaha also need more horsepower - being 5kph or more slower down every straight certainly didn’t help.

MarkyMark will smash it.
    There's no one with the bike or skill set to stop him.
    He needs to break bones before anyone else will get a look in.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Iannone provisionally suspended

The Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM) has advised Italian Grand Prix rider Andrea Iannone that he is provisionally suspended pursuant to Article 7.9.1 of the 2019 FIM Anti-doping Code (CAD). The decision to provisionally suspend Mr Andrea Iannone was mandatory following the receipt of a report from the WADA accredited laboratory in Kreischa b. Dresden (Germany) indicating an Adverse Analytical Finding of a non-specified substance under Section 1.1.a) Exogenous Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) of the 2019 Prohibited List, in a urine sample collected from him at an in-competition test carried out by the FIM at the round of the FIM Grand Prix World Championship held in Sepang, Malaysia on 3 November 2019.

Mr Andrea Iannone has the right to request and attend the analysis of his B sample.

Mr Andrea Iannone is provisionally suspended with effect from 17 December 2019. He is therefore barred from participating in any motorcycling competition or activity until further notice. Under Article 7.9.3.2 CAD, Mr Iannone may request lifting of his provisional suspension.

Under the World Anti-Doping Code and the FIM Anti-Doping Code, the FIM is unable to provide any additional information at this time.
    Tu 04 Feb 2020 FIM update

The FIM governing body has confirmed Andrea Iannone’s hearing at the International Disciplinary Court (CDI) has taken place but reveals the case is ‘ongoing’ with no decision set to be reached for at least 10 days.

For now, the FIM has only confirmed the hearing is ‘still ongoing until a CDI decision is rendered’ and that his suspension remains in place.

However, GPOne is reporting his defence team has submitted a hair sample taken during FIM anti-doping tests which show no trace of the steroid found. It says a decision has thus been delayed by 10 days, meaning Iannone – as expected – will miss the second pre-season test at Sepang...
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th February 2020 at 18:50. Reason: insert date

MotoGP shapeshifter..."Adjustable geometry is a bike racing holy grail – Ducati’s new shapeshifting device is the latest stab at achieving it, and probably more top speed as well..."

Iannone unlikely to race in Qatar..."...A verdict on Iannone's case was expected last week, but it is dragging on due to the involved parties disagreeing on elements of the evidence..."

I’d missed the Ianonne news! Out of interest anyone know what advantage would be gained from steroids as a bike racer? They build muscle mass, and that’s not what’s needed I would have thought?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Certainly hope so. Marquez had it way too easy last year.
    Was the first year for a while I found it boring, I do hope this year is different.

Master
    Todays MCN discusses issues for both Marc and Cal with the bike. Also Marc is still struggling post operative.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Todays MCN discusses issues for both Marc and Cal with the bike. Also Marc is still struggling post operative.
    What was their conclusion, please?

See also these videos:

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I keep reading, over recent years, that Honda is having issues etc. Not really, their main rider has a shoulder problem which is healing, and they have a new rider.

There is no bad bike on that grid. Some are better or faster, but...

Iannone unlikely to race in Qatar..."...A verdict on Iannone's case was expected last week, but it is dragging on due to the involved parties disagreeing on elements of the evidence..."
    One Bradly Smith appears in Dorna's info book:

^^^^^^

tough luck Bradley...

MotoGP™ Class cancelled at the Grand Prix of Qatar

FIM, IRTA and Dorna regret to announce the cancellation of all MotoGP™ class sessions at the Grand Prix of Qatar, including the race.

The ongoing coronavirus outbreak has resulted in Qatar travel restrictions being brought into force that affect passengers from Italy, amongst other countries. As of today, all passengers arriving at Doha on direct flights from Italy, or having been in Italy in the past 2 weeks, will be taken straight to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days. Italy clearly plays a vital role in the Championship and in the MotoGP class - both on track and off - and therefore the decision has been taken to cancel premier class competition.

As the teams and riders of the Moto2™ and Moto3™ classes were already in Qatar for the three-day official test at Losail International Circuit earlier this week, the races of both categories will be possible. The lightweight and intermediate classes will therefore compete in their season opener from the 6th to 8th March. The same will apply to the Idemitsu Asia Talent Cup, which will have two races during the Qatar Grand Prix as originally planned. Stay tuned for a revised schedule.

Master
    I keep reading, over recent years, that Honda is having issues etc. Not really, their main rider has a shoulder problem which is healing, and they have a new rider.

There is no bad bike on that grid. Some are better or faster, but...
    For what I’ve read, Honda really did have an issue at the start of testing. It sounds like their new aero was pushing the front on the way into corners. They only fixed it on the last day by using the aero from the old bike, and even that was hard to control for anyone but Marc with his supernatural powers. And as you say, even his luck with injuries finally seems to have run out - or rather, even his incredible ability at saving crashes has limits.

I’ve often wondered with the new wings on bikes - surely anything that pushes the front down to prevent wheelies, and increase acceleration and braking force, would also push the front into a slide in a corner. It’s a more complex situation compared to F1, given that the bike leans. Presumably you have to get it working the right way at the right speeds, and a lot depends on the edge grip of the front. It sounds like the new bike and its new tyres weren’t working together, and even last year only a rider who was happy to save a crash on the way into every corner could ride it.

Pity we won’t get to find out where they really are at Qatar :-(

Edit: Thailand now cancelled too.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 2nd March 2020 at 09:46.

Most corners in Moto GP aren’t at crazy speeds, so the aero is not quite the same as F1, especially when they are leant over at crazy angles.

Honda’s real “problem” was for, the most part, that their lap times were higher than the competition. They can change fairing, swingarm, frame and other parts during the season, but the engines are sealed. They have no problem, just a slightly affected testing campaign.

& More time now that the first race has been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    ...Thailand now cancelled too.
    That is a shame, but probably sensible. Officially it's only a postponement...link.

Ten days ago it was definitely on. I wonder if they'll take down that announcement...link?
    Last edited by PickleB; 2nd March 2020 at 11:23.

MotoGP 2020

Hi folks, after starting the first MotoGP seasons thread a couple of yea# ago I had to abandon it

with my work last year as well as my business at weekends meant my recorder was on overdrive all year in 2019, being a total anorak I watch all FP1 to 4, qualifiers and races avoiding results more than terry and bob in the likely lads so I couldn’t post here at all.....

Thanks to the other guys for carrying on our own dedicated thread and though come summer season weekends again filled my daily work doesn’t take up so much time so I really really hope to be posting again.

Can’t wait for season to start, gutted no premier class at Qatar and no Thailand as yet, plenty of action usually in Moto 3 to make up for it though,

Exciting new riders and interesting developments with other machines means hopefully competition really tight too in 2020.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by lordloz; 5th March 2020 at 21:56.

Iannone

The FIM International Disciplinary Court (CDI) handed down on 31 March 2020 a decision imposing a period of ineligibility of eighteen months on Italian MotoGP Rider Mr. Andrea Iannone, commencing on 17 December 2019 (i.e. the effective date of the Provisional Suspension) and which shall end on 16 June 2021.

Following a routine In-Competition doping test conducted at the round of the FIM Grand Prix World Championship held in Sepang, Malaysia on 3 November 2019, Mr. Andrea Iannone tested positive for Drostanolone metabolite 2α-methyl-5α-androstane-3α-ol-17-one, a WADA prohibited substance under heading “S1. Anabolic Agents, 1. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS), a. Exogenous AAS” of the FIM Anti-doping Code.

Following notification of his adverse analytical finding Mr. Iannone was provisionally suspended by the FIM since 17 December 2019.

A hearing before the CDI on the merits of the case was held in Mies (Switzerland) on 4 February 2020. At the end of the hearing the CDI panel decided to suspend the hearing pending the additional and final written submissions of the parties (i.e. 28 February 2020).

Mr. Iannone is disqualified from Round 18 of the 2019 FIM Grand Prix World Championship held on November 1-3, 2019, in Sepang (Malaysia) and Round 19 of the 2019 FIM Grand Prix World Championship held on November 15-17, 2019, in Valencia (Spain) with all of the resulting consequences including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.

An appeal against the CDI decision may be lodged before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland within 21 days from the date of receipt of the CDI decision pursuant to Article 13.7of the FIM Anti-doping Code.

Just read the news on his suspension, 18 months, but back dated, so out for half of next year’s season. This year is all but a write off in real terms - so possibly one of the best times, if there was one, to be suspended.

We may also so a few of the riders who have been carrying injuries fairing a little better once things restart.

Master
    My least favourite ride....Always had a bad feeling about him, and never felt that he showed due respect to his rivals..👎

Iannone

The FIM International Disciplinary Court (CDI) handed down on 31 March 2020 a decision imposing a period of ineligibility of eighteen months on Italian MotoGP Rider Mr. Andrea Iannone, commencing on 17 December 2019 (i.e. the effective date of the Provisional Suspension) and which shall end on 16 June 2021.

Following a routine In-Competition doping test conducted at the round of the FIM Grand Prix World Championship held in Sepang, Malaysia on 3 November 2019, Mr. Andrea Iannone tested positive for Drostanolone metabolite 2α-methyl-5α-androstane-3α-ol-17-one, a WADA prohibited substance under heading “S1. Anabolic Agents, 1. Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS), a. Exogenous AAS” of the FIM Anti-doping Code.

Following notification of his adverse analytical finding Mr. Iannone was provisionally suspended by the FIM since 17 December 2019.

A hearing before the CDI on the merits of the case was held in Mies (Switzerland) on 4 February 2020. At the end of the hearing the CDI panel decided to suspend the hearing pending the additional and final written submissions of the parties (i.e. 28 February 2020).

Mr. Iannone is disqualified from Round 18 of the 2019 FIM Grand Prix World Championship held on November 1-3, 2019, in Sepang (Malaysia) and Round 19 of the 2019 FIM Grand Prix World Championship held on November 15-17, 2019, in Valencia (Spain) with all of the resulting consequences including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.

An appeal against the CDI decision may be lodged before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland within 21 days from the date of receipt of the CDI decision pursuant to Article 13.7of the FIM Anti-doping Code.
    Really Like The Maniac such a talented natural rider with a lot of character but has just done some pretty dumb sh*t in recent years..
    Great News I guess for Bradley hopefully..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We haven't seen a race yet but plenty of developments happening off track. Miller is confirmed on Petrucci's seat next year with Danilo rumoured to be going to Aprilia, which would mean little chance of seeing Iannone on the grid again and Bradley back to development duties.

But the big news is coming from the HRC garage with Puig refusing to deny that Pol Espargo is lined up to take Alex Marquez seat next year, with LCR looking the most likely destination for Alex. Seems like an odd move seeing as Alex hasn't yet had a chance to demonstrate what he can do on the full fat factory bike, and if it does happen then it could signal the end of Cal in the premier class.

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/n...argaro-rumours

It's time for Cal to go, he should have gone last year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    It's time for Cal to go, he should have gone last year.
    Considering he was the second highest placed Honda in the championship, that’s a bit unfair...

I don't think so Enoch, and as much as I like him....
    9 years in MotoGP just 3 wins.
    Best finishing position in championship ever, 5th....worst, 13th.
    Average finishing position in championship (over 9 years in MotoGP) is a little worse than 8th.
    27% of ALL MotoGP starts either DNF'd or crashed (Mostly crashed)
    He's a great character, but past his best.

Master
    Only 38 more sleeps until the start of the season!

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...eleased/331670

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Only 38 more sleeps until the start of the season!

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/...eleased/331670
    That’s a hectic schedule.... I hope there are no rider injuries, as there’s no time to recover..

Craftsman
    I haven't watched Moto GP for ages, last few times I've watched I found that it has become a little bit tame compared to the late 90's

Anyway, is it still on BT Sport? Is there any other ways of getting it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    is it still on BT Sport?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyal View Post
    Is there any other way of getting it?
    You can buy a 'Videopass' for live streaming from the MotoGP site.

Any views on whether the restricted track selection would favour the Honda or Ducati more?

Master
    Any views on whether the restricted track selection would favour the Honda or Ducati more?
    Austria typically suits Ducati with Barcelona to a lesser extent, but who knows what the engineers have been working on over the last nine months... I hope I'm wrong but I fear it'll be business as usual to see who comes 2nd behind M Marquez.

Craftsman
    We want to thank you for sticking with us until the season restarts.
    As a thanks, we're extending your VideoPass subscription until the first race of the 2021 season

Sorry? What exactly am I getting here?

Cue La Marseillaise...most entertaining.

Let's hope MM can recover (not in the race, although he nearly made it) in time for the replay at Jerez.

Let's hope MM can recover (not in the race, although he nearly made it) in time for the replay at Jerez.
    It took some time to blossom...
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    A real star in the making: Fabio Quartararo
    Only 15 yo, 2nd in the race. Watch this space!
    And this last year:
    4 years ago...

He will start on pole tomorrow.

But he's getting there.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 19th July 2020 at 14:32.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

It took some time to blossom...

And this last year:

But he's getting there.

He's still only 21...should have had a win last season...and while MM has been more spectacular I wouldn't call FQ pedestrian.

He is a good kid, too.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Broken arm confirmed. Looks like we'll be seeing a new world champion this year.

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/n...cture-in-crash

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Broken arm confirmed. Looks like we'll be seeing a new world champion this year.

https://www.bikesportnews.com/news/n...cture-in-crash
    I still wouldn’t write MM off just yet.

Edit - it does seem like the break is quite serous so who knows except to say he’s a very tough cookie and if he can get back racing again this season I’m sure he will.
    Last edited by andy tims; 19th July 2020 at 18:47.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

F1...lap 48/70 and I'm nodding off.

Mind you...a bottle of wine may account for something. But it was necessary...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I keep reading the highlights are on quest but it doesn’t seem to be in the listings?

It’s there on Quest- watched it last night.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I still wouldn’t write MM off just yet.

Edit - it does seem like the break is quite serous so who knows except to say he’s a very tough cookie and if he can get back racing again this season I’m sure he will.
    think he will miss at leat 3 races IMO.
    As Stoner said to Rossi.. ambition outweighed his talent lol

Hopefully he MM93 will have a full recovery - I still think a few of his overtakes while coming back through the field were far too aggressive with unnecessary block passes in some instances. His skill and ability to get the maximum performance from the Honda is without question - but something should have been done years ago about his all or nothing riding style. That said watching some of the things he can do on a bike, and how his saved that huge front wheel slide, is just incredible.

Master
    Hopefully he MM93 will have a full recovery - I still think a few of his overtakes while coming back through the field were far too aggressive with unnecessary block passes in some instances. His skill and ability to get the maximum performance from the Honda is without question - but something should have been done years ago about his all or nothing riding style. That said watching some of the things he can do on a bike, and how his saved that huge front wheel slide, is just incredible.
    The way he can ride over the limit is electrifying, so it's a pity if it's ultimately not sustainable, even for him. Meanwhile Rossi with all those world championships and relatively few injuries and is still there. Maybe he'll get the last laugh after all.

No doubt Marquez could have settled for some points and still easily won the championship, and with hindsight he should have, but that's not his style, not if it means being off the podium anyway. I guess this shows he's taking the other bikes and riders seriously - Honda may be in trouble.

Cal Crutchlow...https://motogp.io/2ONnYhP

Marc Marquez...http://www.twitter.com/HRC_MotoGP/st...38227603611648

I wonder what the doctor will say?

Update: "Márquez was declared fit to race by MotoGP doctors and will take part in the second round of the 2020 MotoGP season"
    Last edited by PickleB; 23rd July 2020 at 14:04.

Update: "Márquez was declared fit to race by MotoGP doctors and will take part in the second round of the 2020 MotoGP season"
    Barely believable. I’m not sure how closely the tests to prove fitness to ride actually replicate the forces going through your arms from racing, but if MM can ride anywhere near ever 90% of his usual speed, my respect for him will just go through the roof. I’ve never warmed to him, but he’s certainly the best rider I’ve ever seen.
    Last edited by andy tims; 23rd July 2020 at 21:26.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Be interesting to see if he can ride for more than 5-10 laps in free practice, perhaps he was very lucky with the fracture though, and able to ride around it . Cal also, a scaphoid is going to be bloody painful, but Calnis used to riding in pain.

Three enjoyable races but lots of riders with difficulties to complete a good, if unusual, weekend. On to Brno...