closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ADs query.

Journeyman

ADs query.

Hi folks. I’m a first time poster, so go easy on me! 😉

I have been into two separate ADs in Glasgow to enquire about buying a Rolex Submariner date black. One AD was very helpful and took time to sit with me, chat and get details off me and put in a note of interest. The other AD, just wanted me to write my details and then told me to build a relationship with them by getting other services there, but just seemed otherwise disinterested. Have anybody else had similar dealings in Glasgow or in general?

You will have a lot of people come on here responding 'yawn' etc as this is an oft repeated question so in the name of being helpful there is zero chance you will get a Sub date from an AD any time soon unless you drop £50k on bling. So your option is to go via a grey dealer and pay around £9k or to wait it out on the list. Sub date will be a 2.5 year wait. If you went no date Sub maybe 18 months.

Appreciate this may not be what you want to hear but it is what it is.

BTW plenty of better watches out there for the same money or less

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I appreciate the reply. I am aware about having to wait, but I was more wondering about the difference in the approaches taken by the ADs and how other folk have experienced it. One was very warm and welcoming, the other just felt cold and not bothered about me as a customer.

Well... if they don’t know whether you are a genuine customer, a speculator, or a time waster... what do you expect. Sometimes I feel they should still act professionally no matter what, but some sales staff aren’t the best trained or experienced.

Take the time to pop in from time to time and speak to the staff and try and strike up some rapport, it might help. With no history, I got speaking to the manager of a Rolex boutique, and we had a good chat about all things Rolex and my ownership of a number of Rolex watches - and then some weeks/months later when a customer dropped out of a purchase I got a call and asked would I like the watch - I bought it. Little things can help.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    You would likely get the same differing response between 2 salesmen in the same shop too.

A few weeks on here and I guarantee you will be bored to death with Rolex.

Journeyman
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not only into Rolex, I like a lot of different brands for a variety of reasons and have my eye on other watches to buy. However I’m in a position financially now to be able to afford the one I’ve wanted for a long time, so want to go for that before I buy any other brands gain.

Master
    Mark Brown at Watches of Switzerland on Buchanan Street was very helpful to me when I was looking for a Rolex.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Mark Brown at Watches of Switzerland on Buchanan Street was very helpful to me when I was looking for a Rolex.
    It was there that I found the person I spoke to was very warm, welcoming and actually interested in me as a customer. Certainly good customer service in WOS.

The other side to it is they are probabley well fed up with people asking about Rolex, 1 from the constant having to turn custom away and 2 from not knowing when they are going to get stock to sell.

It must be frustrating but that is the game of Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by doing_time999 View Post
    It was there that I found the person I spoke to was very warm, welcoming and actually interested in me as a customer. Certainly good customer service in WOS.
    Was it recently? I went past WoS on Buchanan St today and it is closed and due to reopen soon as a Rolex Boutique. Maybe they will have stock to sell on the day they open? Would seem pointless to open a boutique with no stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Nearly a year ago I had the exact same experience as yourself in both shops.
    Was looking for an explorer, was told in Laings that I would need to spend a bit of money to get one.
    Walked up Buchanan street talked to the assistant manager in WOS who couldn't have been more welcoming, told me it would take a few months, called me a couple of days later to say they had one coming in that weekend and it was mine if I wanted it. Enquired Monday, picked up on the Saturday, great service!
    Taking a lot longer with the blue dial fluted bezel datejust I enquirer about around 6 months ago though.
    Guess I just got lucky the first time.

Master
    I visited the WoS guys in their temporary home upstairs in the Mappin and Webb shop over the weekend. Their entire stock is in 2 display cases and was mostly DJs. The new Rolex boutique is due to open in about 10 weeks.

My story is the polar opposite to that of others. I’ve been a long standing customer of WoS for many years and am still on the “list” for a Daytona. Any time I drop in I get the “you’ll get one eventually” fob off.

Was offered a CHNR GMT2 by Laings after about 3 weeks after “expressing an interest” but trued it’s down to wait for a BLNR, which I got a month later.......

There’s no such thing as consistency in this game!

Build a relationship by getting other services with us is an absolute insult. It is disgusting in the worst possible way.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Was it recently? I went past WoS on Buchanan St today and it is closed and due to reopen soon as a Rolex Boutique. Maybe they will have stock to sell on the day they open? Would seem pointless to open a boutique with no stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beginning of January, they did say they were closing down for a while and reopening around April as a Rolex boutique. Would be very happy if they had something that soon, lol!

Just been going over it in my head recently even though it was a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Looks like he's moved on to Watchfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I visited the WoS guys in their temporary home upstairs in the Mappin and Webb shop over the weekend. Their entire stock is in 2 display cases and was mostly DJs. The new Rolex boutique is due to open in about 10 weeks.

My story is the polar opposite to that of others. I’ve been a long standing customer of WoS for many years and am still on the “list” for a Daytona. Any time I drop in I get the “you’ll get one eventually” fob off.

Was offered a CHNR GMT2 by Laings after about 3 weeks after “expressing an interest” but trued it’s down to wait for a BLNR, which I got a month later.......

There’s no such thing as consistency in this game!
    If it’s a steel Daytona you’re really unlikely to get one unless you’re spending every year whilst waiting.
    Too many big spenders jumping the “list”

Quote Originally Posted by doing_time999 View Post
    Hi folks. I’m a first time poster, so go easy on me! 

I have been into two separate ADs in Glasgow to enquire about buying a Rolex Submariner date black. One AD was very helpful and took time to sit with me, chat and get details off me and put in a note of interest. The other AD, just wanted me to write my details and then told me to build a relationship with them by getting other services there, but just seemed otherwise disinterested. Have anybody else had similar dealings in Glasgow or in general?
    I know exactly the 2 you are talking about.
    I also know their “note of interest list” alone is pretty huge and they do allocate based on spending, so that info was pretty spot on. Essentially become a customer, start buying from them and you may be lucky at some stage.

If you don’t want to spend and just want the watch, the grey market is your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Build a relationship by getting other services with us is an absolute insult. It is disgusting in the worst possible way.
    Not really....demand is way higher than supply on these models, so they allocate based on customer profile and spending. Actually I’d say it’s very fair and if I ran an AD that’s exactly what I’d do.