closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Tracker advice

Car Tracker advice

Just want to tap into folks experience of using a car tracker.

My daugthers 3 year old Fiesta was stolen from Birmingham (B1 3JN) last Wednesday, having gone through the Insurance process I am now awaiting their valuation figure.

Any furure car she has, I want to have a tracker fitted - does anyone have experince of these??

many thanks in advance
    Last edited by LuvWatch; 30th January 2020 at 12:06.

Craftsman
    I have had a Cobratrak fitted on our motorhome for years now. Really pleased and never had any problems.

Great unit, app for your phone and if you know anyone that works for Vodafone you can get a family/friends discount which makes them really good value.

https://automotive.vodafone.co.uk/

Neil

Tracker Networks has changed hands, now they try to find any opportunity to rip you off, I wouldn't use them again

Master
    I heard that trackers were next to useless these days, as signal blockers can be had for just a few pounds. The Ghost immobilisers look quite good though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bought this for my work van and it’s really good as a cheap tracker. The app is brilliant and shows everything you would ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    I heard that trackers were next to useless these days, as signal blockers can be had for just a few pounds. The Ghost immobilisers look quite good though.

only if your car has a canbus network.

Quote Originally Posted by ELD1970 View Post

Bought this for my work van and it’s really good as a cheap tracker. The app is brilliant and shows everything you would ever need.

I’ve got something like that on my VW camper attached to a hidden leisure battery. No good for an insurance discount, but it was inexpensive and I can be a bit of a cheapskate even with an expensive van. Back2You or something like that.

Trackstar

Cheers Guys, anybody had a vehicle stolen and found using a tracker? Preferably with a 'scrote' at the wheel.

No experience on the car side but I have a tracker on my motorbike. £500 for the first year and £100 per year thereafter.

Unit was £300, fitting was £100, contract £100.

For your daughter's car unless it's high end and you feel the cost is worth it I'd go low end. Just get a steering lock from Halfords for £60. Every semi-nice car and above where I live has a steering lock so must work. Keep meaning to get one for mine.

Good point, I was thinking high tech, perhaps a visual deterrent and difficult to remove is a better option.

I had one stolen but I never had a tracker on it ,but then got it fitted .
    A few months later it wouldn’t start so was put on a low loader ,within no more than 5 mins I got a call from trackstar to say the car was moving unstarted,you can also track it yourself with an app .

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    I’ve got something like that on my VW camper attached to a hidden leisure battery. No good for an insurance discount, but it was inexpensive and I can be a bit of a cheapskate even with an expensive van. Back2You or something like that.

Hi, They look useful, is there any monthly subscription with these? Presumably they work from a sim card, just wondering how that is paid for?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnut View Post
    Hi, They look useful, is there any monthly subscription with these? Presumably they work from a sim card, just wondering how that is paid for?
    You know, I’m not dead sure. I think there is a SIM in the unit, first year included and thereafter a one off payment each year of £60

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    Good point, I was thinking high tech, perhaps a visual deterrent and difficult to remove is a better option.
    Theory is that, unless they are targeting a specific (usually high end) car, they go for the easy target and a steering lock just makes them move onto the next car without one.

Tracker helps you get the car back (hopefully) but you still have the hassle of being without your car until it's found, recovery and then repair for any damage the scumbags have caused.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    You know, I’m not dead sure. I think there is a SIM in the unit, first year included and thereafter a one off payment each year of £60

Thank you kindly sir. We actually have similar looking items provided by our fuel card suppliers. We pay them £4.99 per month plus VAT, which is then claimed back. Hence it works out the same for our business vehicles. I might though now get some the same as yours for our private vehicles.

Master
    Just changed cars and insurance said I need a tracker although no minimum requirements.

Getting a SmarTrack Protector Pro installed tomorrow which has good reviews, a good app, and doesn’t require me to carry a fob (which I will forget)

Installation is £200 and annual fee of £150

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post

Ghost isn't Thatcham approved for a reason...

I used to use Scorpion Track but I've now improved security with an additional immobiliser which means the car shouldn't disappear in the first place and only a one off outlay with no ongoing costs.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Ghost isn't Thatcham approved for a reason...

Whats the reason?

A Disklok is a great visual deterrent , albeit cumbersome.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Whats the reason?

Just Googled out of interest and someone here https://www.t6forum.com/threads/auto...er.5997/page-5 says:

"My understanding is that because the Ghost works differently and doesn’t physically isolate circuits it does not fit with Thatcham’s categorisation of an immobiliser."

Get a ghost immobiliser fitted to her car

Unique in how the starting process works - you’ll understand more if you research

Also - avoid any cats with keyless start etc or get it overridden some how

Quote Originally Posted by Claret67 View Post
    Whats the reason?

Lots of people swear by Ghost but there’s also loads of problems and failures of the system.

Master

Car Tracker advice

I know of friends who have had Ghost fitted to their cars.
    Can’t be hacked over the airwaves, as a physical ‘code ’ is required to be entered on the buttons of the steering wheel to deactivate it.

A Disklok is cheap and cheerful (£100).
    A little bit cumbersome, but acts as a strong physical deterrent for the opportunistic thief.

Master

Trackimo

I have a Trackimo GPS/3G tracker fitted in the boot of my TVR. It's wired into the battery via a usb converter, and has sat there happily for the last three years.

It alerts me whenever the car moves and I can track its position at any time, as well as seeing a history of positions. Accuracy is not amazing, but if it were stolen you'd get a good enough position to be able to drive round and spot your car, I suspect. Being under a fibreglass boot helps with the signal more than a steel boot, I would have thought.

You get the first 12 months free and then it's a small annual subscription to keep it going.

I have no idea whether it's thatcham approved, I just got it for peace of mind really.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Trackimo-...0728334&sr=8-3