closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New GS Celebrates 60th Anniversary With 4 LE's

New GS Celebrates 60th Anniversary With 4 LE's

New Grand Seiko celebrates its 60th anniversary with four special limited editions .

https://deployant.com/new-grand-seik...ited-editions/

Last edited by Tazmo61; 30th January 2020 at 11:36.

Yeah, no. The dial colour looks interesting but the red hand doesn't work for me and the gold GS logo really looks bad.
    "A man of little significance"

Not overly taken with any of those models at first sight (and suspect there’ll be more to come) but happy to see the quartz caliber updated to support independent adjustment of the hour hand.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Not overly taken with any of those models at first sight (and suspect there’ll be more to come) but happy to see the quartz caliber updated to support independent adjustment of the hour hand.
    About time too they updated to support it. Now to have it in the GMT models.

I'm also not too excited with these - the blue ceramic bezel is an interesting design choice. A little pricey too. Hopefully we see lots of variety through 2020.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am a bib GS fan, the number of ltd editions is getting a bit omega now.

I think they look great.

I particularly like the case used on the ceramic bezel version.

I was going to say I don't like any of them...but they are GS's own pictures, and they've never really taken any pictures that compare in any way to real life or on wrist photos!

They have made absolutely gorgeous blue dials before (used to own an SBGA105) so I'll reserve judgement until they let others photograph them.

I get that the blue, red and gold have GS and Japanese significance but I still don't particularly like the appearance of any of them.

Master
    I’m not so keen either, the blue looks very bright for my tastes, though having said that, you should never judge a GS without seeing it in person, the colour and dial texture may look quite different and more subtle in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I am a bib GS fan, the number of ltd editions is getting a bit omega now.
    I think we need to get used to the new model of making and selling watches. It’s easier to make special editions than it used to be, and GS in particular are prolific in creating interesting new dial variations. For me, the more the merrier, but they can’t all become part of the permanent collection. It makes sense that you can choose one that appeals to you personally and have something a bit more special - I love my green dial 9F GMT.

With Omega’s speedies and Bond editions there has been some LE fatigue and the feeling of flogging a dead horse, but I think it’s better to embrace the new model of a series of special editions. It’s not going away, that’s for sure! And even though this particular one isn’t my favourite, it’s nice to have new stuff to look at regularly.

I like them, but a bit above my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I like them, but a bit above my budget.

My thoughts too , nice but out of reach for me .

I like the model with the blue Ceramic bezel the most, stands out as being different without shouting it.

I quite like them but the “Sports” one would be better without a date.

Master
    Umm … the +/-5 sec quartz looks promising but it’s got one colour too many on the dial, imo. The red secondhand is a misstep. Would have preferred a much darker blue, too, something along the lines of the SBGA105 or 375.

The second disappointment of the week - I went to my local AD having convinced myself I wanted the SBGX261 only to realise the dial was a slightly uninspiring matt grey/black rather than the much glossier black of the SGV207 or 223.

For me, the more limited editions, the merrier. More chance of something coming up that ticks all the boxes!
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 30th January 2020 at 15:40.

I'm suffering from Seiko LE fatigue. It's a joke.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I like the 9f quartz pieces but 40mm might be a tad too big for the non sports version. Shame that the case on the sports quartz is creeping up in thickness at 12.4mm. Jumping hour hand is a definite boon though. As has been said, would need to see them in the flesh before making a final judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    For me, the more limited editions, the merrier. More chance of something coming up that ticks all the boxes!
    Me too, can't see the problem with them.

More variety than the Omega LEs - think they're not liked because either buyers didn't get one or just haven't been a good investment.

GS probably bought because they're liked, not as an investment.

Love 'em !

Craftsman
    Very cool! Particularly the blue bezel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I like the 9f quartz pieces but 40mm might be a tad too big for the non sports version. Shame that the case on the sports quartz is creeping up in thickness at 12.4mm. Jumping hour hand is a definite boon though. As has been said, would need to see them in the flesh before making a final judgement.
    You might be surprised. That case shape in a GS wears much better on a slim wrist than the dimensions would suggest. Normally I’d find 40mm oversized for this kind of watch, but a couple of mm of that are crown guards and the rounded lugs hug the wrist. Worth trying in person.

The red text just doesn’t work...but as others have said it may be a different story in the flesh. I’ll keep an open mind but not too excited from initial pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    They don't do much for me, I much prefer the US seasons collection for example. As others have said, they may look much better once better pictures are available.

Master
    I’ve preordered the high precision quartz model, at +-5 a year i think it can occupy a unique space in my collection. If anyone is after any of them let me know as i live in japan and can maybe get a small discount (10-15% off Japan MSRP). I can bring it over next time i’m in London etc. In japan there are shops that are not able to hold the GS, for example the quartz 3 hander is only available in GS boutiques, GS master shop. The ceramic is available in most GS ADs etc.
    Last edited by kaiserphoenix; 31st January 2020 at 09:47.

Hi-beat and standard quartz model look OK to me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I’m revising my opinion as the 9F model is an interesting development. It’s a new version of the 9F with a jumping hour feature, similar to the Omega Terras, which is handy for travel as well as when the clocks change. This is something it’s always missed on such an accurate movement, and while the GMT of course has this too, this version is 1.4mm thinner due to not having the GMT hand. It is however slightly thicker than the standard 40mm 9F. This should give it very good proportions, though it may wear larger. These may seem like subtle changes, but they result in a significantly different watch, in both movement and appearance.

On the GS site the dial looks much darker than in the pictures earlier in the thread. In fact with night shift on it looks black, which may well be how it will look in the evening too. I’m quite interested to see one now. With the right dial and second hand combination it would be a candidate for the perfect 9F - but now they have the template, I’m sure there will be other dials with the same case and movement.

Oh and while we’re on the subject of new GS dials...
    Last edited by Itsguy; 3rd February 2020 at 00:22.

Master
    I’m resurrecting this thread as I spotted the 60th anniversary 9F today and gave it a try. The colour of the dial is quite different in person, and (at least in the shop’s lighting) read as a much more subtle and dark blue than the publicity photos would suggest. In fact, it’s a far better colour combination than I expected and really works. Strangely once photographed, it looks bright blue again, so I’ve tried to tweak the pictures to look closer to the way it does in real life - though perhaps sunshine brings it out. It’s pleasantly thin and wears surprisingly well on a slim wrist for 40mm.

I’m interested to see if they release more dial and hand combinations in future, it’s getting close to the perfect watch if you like the idea of a slightly larger 9F with classic styling and the jumping hour hand movement.

Last edited by Itsguy; 6th March 2020 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’m resurrecting this thread as I spotted the 60th anniversary 9F today and gave it a try. The colour of the dial is quite different in person, and (at least in the shop’s lighting) read as a much more subtle and dark blue than the publicity photos would suggest. In fact, it’s a far better colour combination than I expected and really works. Strangely once photographed, it looks bright blue again, so I’ve tried to tweak the pictures to look closer to the way it does in real life - though perhaps sunshine brings it out. It’s pleasantly thin and wears surprisingly well on a slim wrist for 40mm.

I’m interested to see if they release more dial and hand combinations in future, it’s getting close to the perfect watch if you like the idea of a slightly larger 9F with classic styling and the jumping.....
    Many thanks for the update. I'm still loving my SBGX061 but I feel like I could go a little bigger and this could be an option. I love the dial. I may try and find one to test drive.

Master
    I love the dial but i'm not sure about that second hand.. Was it hitting the markers ok?

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I love the dial but i'm not sure about that second hand.. Was it hitting the markers ok?
    I'll bet my entire collection that it does. Grand Seiko 9F precision.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I think the picture tells you everything you need to know.

What is the UK RRP for the LE hi-beat and the quartz? Thanks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    What is the UK RRP for the LE hi-beat and the quartz? Thanks.
    Deacons has both in today.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Deacons has both in today.
    Lovely place. Not been since Hugh left though. Do you remember the prices? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    So, today I did a thing........
    My first Grand Seiko, yesterday such a watch wasn’t even on the radar. Then I saw my first GS in the metal and - that dial and the quality of finish overall. The rest as they say is history and it’s sitting on my wrist as I type.
    No pictures can convey the above but here are a few anyway.
    First, and probably not my last - Thanks Kash

Now that is a dial... GS are on slow burn fire!

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Liking that blue bezel

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk