closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: help me choose a watch

Craftsman

help me choose a watch

I'm looking for a casual watch for mainly weekend use, I would like a PVD finish, water proof up to 100m, nato / canvas strap.

The closest I can get to giving a good example of what I like is the IWC SPITFIRE IW326801, which I must admit, is a strong candidate.

I was going to get an IWC Aquatimer, but they are far too big. I wear an IWC Pilot Chrono and don't want anything any larger. 39mm to 42mm is the size range I am after.

Budget? preferably in the £2K range, used or new.

I'm not after another Chrono, would rather a more simple complication, with date is fine but not essential.

What suggestions do you have?

Craftsman
    Black Bay Dark on NATO?

Master

MX5?

If the IWC spitfire is what you want it is hard to look past it in the 2nd hand market. It will be a bit above your budget though
    Not PVD; Have a look at MKII both the Hawkinge and Cruxible could fit the bill with plenty of change to spare.
    There are a couple of timefactors that have been recently released or are on their way.
    However I would say all roads lead to IWC.

Edit...
    There is a new Hamilton based on the Vietnam era field watches, there is a handsome PVD version. This might be up your street as a stop gap!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 29th January 2020 at 22:28.

Craftsman
    It soundslike you really like the IWC SPITFIRE IW326801, if you like it and you keep going back to it, then you should go for it. Even if it means waiting a little longer I think you sould go for it.

Craftsman
    Indeed, the answer is to get what you really want.

Craftsman
    Just making sure there is nothing else that I may have overlooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Breitling Navitimer 8 (earlier version) / Aviator 8 (later version) Blacksteel? 2nd hand it's only slightly over budget, 41mm and looks rather lovely (to me anyway).

Damasko DA38 black? Super hard case, great lume, day date complication.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/produc...er-pin-dmk-140

Craftsman
    Yeah, I might drop the PVD requirement, which still makes the IWC Mark series or Spitfire series my number 1 choice so far.

Journeyman
    Tudor Heritage Ranger?

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    I'm looking for a casual watch for mainly weekend use... a good example of what I like is the IWC SPITFIRE IW326801...
    If it's a ~Mk11~ish lookalike you want, you could save £1800 and get an MWC Classic -

Many similar designs on their site, including PVD options, Tritium options, autos, quartz, etc etc. Underrated brand IME - I own a couple, and the quality is extremely good.

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Yeah, I might drop the PVD requirement, which still makes the IWC Mark series or Spitfire series my number 1 choice so far.

If our looking for a robust 'PVD' finish then you should look at a Damasko. I had a DA47 black for a few years and the black coating was near perfect even though it was used as a daily wearer. As others have said though , If you already favouring a certain watch then perhaps would be your 1st choice to look at as you'll be the one wearing it, not us.