closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zeitwerk

Master

Zeitwerk

Anyone got the white gold / black dial version ? What do you think, wear it a lot, was what you hoped for ???

I've never seen anyone post a picture in the Friday thread but that doesn't mean to say no one has one though, fascinating watch and I've often watched the review on Watchfinder

Post some pics if you end up purchasing one.

My lottery watch, love the mechanical digital display!

Doesn't Raffe have a Zeitwerk?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Doesn't Raffe have a Zeitwerk?
    I was going to say the same.

It's of my all time favourites (though never seen in the flesh).

From what I've seen in photos they wear quite large due to the 42mm size.

I do love the idea of one, and have a pocket watch with similar jumping hours & mins and a running second hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    From what I've seen in photos they wear quite large due to the 42mm size.

I do love the idea of one, and have a pocket watch with similar jumping hours & mins and a running second hand.
    The newer version is even larger at 44mm! Though it comes with better power reserve (the original ZW is around 36 hours). The date implementation is also well executed in the new version.

From Hodinkee

Great backside as well...

That new date function is so very classy! Love it

Zeitwerk

I think Raffe’s is rose gold and a lovey thing it is too!

This is such a classic watch and would be the first A. Lange & Sohne I would buy if I had the spare 6 figures to afford the new dated version! However, I was lucky enough to try one on during our trip to Glashütte last year. Oh and they aren’t small!

The repeaters are lovely as well but I suspect would become a little annoying after a while!

Journeyman
    Can't help the OP much but have a comment and a question if that's ok.

Fabulous things, especially the newer date version which has quite a few changes over the original. I seem to recall there are no plans to introduce some of the movement improvements of the date version over to the original, you may want to research this, there were some issues with early Zeitwerks IIRC, though should have been sorted long ago.

Aside from not having 100k lying around for a watch, I struggle with the noncoplanar minutes display, and wonder why it was done this way. If anyone knows the technicalities behind that choice I'd love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by WTRacer View Post

Aside from not having 100k lying around for a watch, I struggle with the noncoplanar minutes display, and wonder why it was done this way. If anyone knows the technicalities behind that choice I'd love to know.
    The two discs turn on the same axis, one on top of other. Due to location of minutes display being so close to edge of watch no room for side by side discs (with edges touching) as frequently done with big date displays.

Personally, though technically accomplished think it’s a rather ugly thing.

One alternative is minutes below the hour display.

Mine has moved to Maidstone...

Beautiful watch, wanted one for years but ended up not wearing it. Not sure why, but it's a big lump of gold (suppose with hindsight the white gold would have been a better choice).

The new date model is an even nicer piece of engineering, but also another 2mm bigger. I think they are very popular in Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Mine has moved to Maidstone...

Beautiful watch, wanted one for years but ended up not wearing it. Not sure why, but it's a big lump of gold (suppose with hindsight the white gold would have been a better choice).

The new date model is an even nicer piece of engineering, but also another 2mm bigger. I think they are very popular in Asia.

Oh! I loved that one.

Master
    This is and will be in the collection soonish. It is the ultimate lange for me even more interesting than the datograph. I was very set on the black dial standard version but then i saw the grey date version and whilst on paper it’s larger, it’s actually thinner as they improved the calibre it sits much better on the wrist. One thing people seem to get wrong is they think the zeitwerk is some heavy big ass watch when in fact the dimensions arnt all that. I have tiny women wrist and i think it looks fine. But now i think i have to go for the date version. The mechanism is amazing how they reinterpreted and applied the remontoire mechanism to show digital displays. Amazing. Obviously is one of those watxhes need to be bought used or grey but is hard to come by that’s the problem. The other thing is the servicing cost, go to langes website and you will STUNNED. It is considered one of the greatest complications. which i don’t disagree with and hence the cost is more than double of a datograph. For me that is also another thing keeping me stuck. The watch is a mechanical wonder and when u wind it it has a real heft to it like winding some heavy machinery whcih i like. But it’s not gonna be a cheap one to own, neither should it. High holorogy at its best here.

Master
    The rightmost number of the date display uses a slightly bigger font than the left, to compensate for the height difference. True on the Lange 1 also.

ALS attention to detail is astounding.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    This is and will be in the collection soonish. It is the ultimate lange for me even more interesting than the datograph. I was very set on the black dial standard version but then i saw the grey date version and whilst on paper it’s larger, it’s actually thinner as they improved the calibre it sits much better on the wrist. One thing people seem to get wrong is they think the zeitwerk is some heavy big ass watch when in fact the dimensions arnt all that. I have tiny women wrist and i think it looks fine. But now i think i have to go for the date version. The mechanism is amazing how they reinterpreted and applied the remontoire mechanism to show digital displays. Amazing. Obviously is one of those watxhes need to be bought used or grey but is hard to come by that’s the problem. The other thing is the servicing cost, go to langes website and you will STUNNED. It is considered one of the greatest complications. which i don’t disagree with and hence the cost is more than double of a datograph. For me that is also another thing keeping me stuck. The watch is a mechanical wonder and when u wind it it has a real heft to it like winding some heavy machinery whcih i like. But it’s not gonna be a cheap one to own, neither should it. High holorogy at its best here.
    Thanks for this. Some very useful points particular regarding service cost. I was expecting expensive but not €5k expensive !

Zeitwerk

It’s a beautiful watch. I am slightly surprised that they didn’t recess the left hand minute wheel into the right hand one so they appeared level. No doubt something to do with how it all fits together.

Master
    Someone on this forum pointed out the picture of a moose on the dial, and I’ve never been able to un-see it since... thanks for that!

Lol, that's just ruined it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Someone on this forum pointed out the picture of a moose on the dial, and I’ve never been able to un-see it since... thanks for that!

Zeitwerk

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    The rightmost number of the date display uses a slightly bigger font than the left, to compensate for the height difference. True on the Lange 1 also.

ALS attention to detail is astounding.
    Website states “- All numerals are identical in size”.

https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/timepieces/zeitwerk

It's been what, 10 years since release? We should have enough statistical points now to see how reliable the movements are. How long do Lange recommend in between service?

I reckon if you do go for it, then it has to be the date, but damn the price is basically double what you can get for a second hand older Zeitwerk. Maybe you can get them to throw in an Odysseus for you

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Website states “- All numerals are identical in size”.

https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/timepieces/zeitwerk
    Yes I think thats what they mean, to the naked eye. Easier than explaining and drawing attention to the level difference?
    I was taught this by the Lange sales rep so I'm fairly sure its true but I'll ask again next time to be sure :)

Link for the service costs here: https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/cus...pair/pricelist

And you're not wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Link for the service costs here: https://www.alange-soehne.com/en/cus...pair/pricelist

And you're not wrong!
    When the datograph service is significantly compared to any watch, you know you’re in trouble....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk