closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Date Change Timing on a Quartz GMT Perpetual Calendar Watch

Date Change Timing on a Quartz GMT Perpetual Calendar Watch

A question for the watch guys out there. I have a Seiko Quartz GMT Perpetual calendar watch and the date flicks across at 22:28 every night. It is very crisp and clean, as soon as the watch hits that time the date moves across.

The instructions suggest that this should happen between 23:45 and 00:05, but for some reason it happens a lot earlier.

I have had automatics that are spot on around midnight and others that start the change around 23:00, but they usually take 30 mins or so, not a nice clean click across.

I have wound the watch forwards and backwards and each time the same thing happens.

In all honesty it's not really an issue as the watch otherwise works perfectly and I rarely look at the date when going to bed.

Just curious if I am missing something here or is it just something that is programmed into the watch's inner workings.

Any thoughts?

I should add that the Watch has recently been back to Seiko for a new battery, seals and a general service and the Perpetual calendar would have been reset by Seiko before returning the watch.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th January 2020 at 10:16.

It sounds like an oversight on the part of the person who stuck the hands back on. Depends how much it bothers you but I'd probably have to get it set right.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    As the date changes the same time every day, day in day out the hands need to be reset on the canon pinion.

Not sure what skills you have but you need to remove the movement, reinsert the crown and stem, hack the watch and forward the hands until the date changes. Remove the hands and replace them at midnight (i dont mean wait until midnight) just replace them at the 12.00 position.

Recase your watch and job done.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    As the date changes the same time every day, day in day out the hands need to be reset on the canon pinion.

Not sure what skills you have but you need to remove the movement, reinsert the crown and stem, hack the watch and forward the hands until the date changes. Remove the hands and replace them at midnight (i dont mean wait until midnight) just replace them at the 12.00 position.

Recase your watch and job done.
    Thank you, but that's not really a job that I would fancy doing. Certainly don't have the skills or the correct tools. Messing around with bracelets is about my limit.

Who on here is the go to guy for this sort of stuff?

Just spoken to Seiko, the work may be covered by the warranty on the service if the hands have been put back on incorrectly. I have just sent an image of the service receipt to them and they are going to get back to me - so fingers crossed.

Update: Seiko will only undertake the work as part of a full service and battery change. They want £170 and this exact work was done only three weeks ago - looks like I'll have to live with it.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th January 2020 at 16:33.

Does the Seiko service not come with a guarantee?
    If it didn’t do it before surely it’s their problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Does the Seiko service not come with a guarantee?
    If it didn’t do it before surely it’s their problem?
    The problem is I bought the watch from a guy in the US and part of the deal was that he would send it to the Seiko Service Centre (New Jersey) for a full Spa, which he did, then sent the Watch to me - good to go for 10 years.

Seiko UK said three choices, send it back to the guy in the US and let him return it to his service centre (meaning the watch would pass through Customs a further four times - no thank you very much), do nothing and live with it or pay the UK Centre to sort it out.

They said to fix the problem they would need to open the watch, remove the movement and hands and part of their putting things back together is to change everything like the battery and seals etc, meaning a full service, but whilst doing it they would ensure the date change was corrected - good of them really.

Ah bit of a bummer
    If it were me I would live with it
    I am normally in the land of nod long before the date change over!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Ah bit of a bummer
    If it were me I would live with it
    I am normally in the land of nod long before the date change over!
    +1, a bit annoying but not a dealbreaker for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    +1, a bit annoying but not a dealbreaker for me.
    Me too.

You could try Duncan, he's great with Seikos! :)

Thanks guys, the advice to do nothing seems a sensible one.

To be fair to the seller, he has been great, he offered either to take it back and deal with Seiko US or to go halves on the bill if I give it to Seiko UK. At the end of the day that's £85 each, so I do wonder if it would be easier just to get the watch sorted.

I was more interested in finding out what the problem was and it's good that it is nothing serious.

It wouldent bother me but it would niggle at the back of my mind especially being a GS, as above Duncans the man.

Just to update and close down this thread. The watch went back to Seiko UK and initially they were going to charge me for a service and correct the hands whilst doing it. I got a phone call last week to say the service manager would correct the hands for free as a goodwill gesture.

The watch arrived back with me today and all sorted, clicks over nicely a minute or two before midnight.

Well done the Seiko Service Centre - thank you