closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mid Range Suits Recommendations - What to buy for up to £500?

Mid Range Suits Recommendations - What to buy for up to £500?

Hi,

Looking at finally upgrading my business suits as haven't added to the slightly baggy and worn out selection for a while. With the sales still awash with 50% discounts wonder if anyone had any particular recommemdations up to a max of say £500?

I'm very average in terms of size and shape so wouldn't benefit as much as some from a fitting so a slim fit, 40 inch regular suit usually does the trick. Only real issue is that I have shortish legs at 29.5 inch and would want to get an extra pair.....which I accept might push it over £500.

Been looking at Hacket (50% off), Brooks Brothers (40-50% off), Charles Tyrwhitt (Luxury/Half Canvas) and maybe one of Ted Baker's better suits?

Cheers

Chris

Personally live always liked Hugo Boss, and they are in your price bracket.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Just bought a Charles Tywhitt travel suit in ink blue for £239. Choice of slim or classic fits.

Original price was £299 and this included the code "moreoff" for an additional 5%. Within the cost was £15 to trim the leg. Could have been done on an online order for £8.99 but the store I went to use a local tailor.

I have the option to go back within 3 months for a deal on a spare pair of trousers. Either 25% off or 50% off, can't remember.

If your shape fits them they're great for the money but I do prefer my Suit Supply suits, just wouldn't spend that money these days to sit in an office all day.

Suit Supply - you can easily tweak the fit as well and helpful staff.

You could get a fully tailored suit for ca. £500...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Thanks......from where?

TMI

Craftsman
    Try dress to kill, I have had a couple of suits from them and they were very good imho.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Thanks......from where?
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    just wouldn't spend that money these days to sit in an office all day.
    ... my enthusiasm for having suits made at great expensive has diminished a lot over the years.

- - - Updated - - -

Sent you a PM
    Why not share here?

OK- Brian Kelly Tailor in Stalybridge, near Manchester. Just don’t swamp him as I want a suit from him in a few months

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cordings city suits are excellent value and well made

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear/city-suits
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I'm a big fan of Gieves & Hawkes. You might be able to get an off the peg suit tailored for not too much more than your budget in the sale.

TM Lewin

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    TM Lewin
    you’d get a nice Zegna merino cloth suit in the sale fully tailored for less than £500 - that’s got to be a good buy.

They were the only off the peg that had a 48 with broad shoulders and slimmer waist that they could also alter for me, and take the waist of a 36 down enough but still have enough size in the thighs for me (most of their trousers are too tight in the seat and leg for me and a couple of inches left over in the waist) without going for a fully tailored suit. I routinely try on suits, a bit like shoes, as I find it very difficult to get anything close to fitted that takes in to account my shoulders to waist.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

And you're buying a suit from Eric Clapton, what's not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Thanks. That was a good tip but sadly not much in my size.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    A Magee from Slaters

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I agree Bespoke is the best way to go, but it can be a bit of a faff - usually takes 3 fittings and the starting price is usually for fabric you really don't want, which is key to a nice suit, so 100% (110 or 120) wool or a Wool/cashmere or Wool/silk mix is a must. A simple test is take a trouser leg and crush in your hand for 20 seconds and release. If it remains creased then best avoid.

Failing that take a trip to Bicester and see if you can find a bargain. I have managed to get Chanel, Paul Smith, Armani, Zenga suits from there, but the best one was from Dunhill. Alas unlikely to get a second pair of trousers.

Finally dont forget your body also changes shape. I lost a lot of weight hence now have about 7 grand worth of suits that no longer fit me. Trousers can be adjusted, but jackets can't.

How about Marks and Spencer's Luxury or Savile Row Inspired. Nice quality, nice quality fabrics and a second trouser option. As for the length, you can always get someone to make any adjustments if necessary.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

If you're a relatively standard shape the Reiss have good suits in a range of styles from slim/modern/comfort, they alos have contemporary styles too (how tempted was I by a bright orange suit in their recent sale )

And to Andyg's point, Jacket's can be altered, it's just more work. My mum, although retired, still does seamstress work and cinched a jacket of mine that I'd ingrown (changed body shape).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    TM Lewin
    Their trousers come un-hemmed and are altered to your size in store. Good value suits for work.

I forgot to add M&S in my response. I picked up 3 suits in their sale, all machine washable, that I use in Germany when I'm there. I leave the jackets in the office and take trousers over (freshly washed each time of course). I think they worked out around £100-150 per suit with 2 pairs of trousers and are pretty good for what they are (and incredibly convenient).

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Suit Supply - you can easily tweak the fit as well and helpful staff.
    I've bought plenty of clothes and shoes from Suit Supply, but ironically never a suit. Have you? Interested to hear your experience because the prices are great

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    I've bought plenty of clothes and shoes from Suit Supply, but ironically never a suit. Have you? Interested to hear your experience because the prices are great
    I might go and have a look but get the impression that by the time I get what I want it will be well over budget. Especially as I'm such a standard type of size and shape.

Yes, suit supply are very keen to get you to have as many alterations as possible but do also have ranges where you get X amount of alterations built into the price.

Does anyone know if suit supply have a travel/endurance suit? My suit supply suits are definitely nice than my Charles Tywhitt suit but the creasing drives me mad. Never had to dry clean a suit so often.

Does anyone know if suit supply have a travel/endurance suit?
    Suit Supply have a range call The Traveller. Again I can’t comment on the quality because I’ve not tried one on. I was tempted to order (free delivery/returns) but then I wouldn’t be able to use the “free” tailoring so it seemed a bit pointless. Quality of their other items have been very high and customer service where I’ve experienced problems, excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment I'm quite intrigued by the half canvas suits at Charles Tyrwhit and in particular whether they really do keep their shape better and mould to the wearer over time?

But £450 for a CT suit seems a lot?

No idea, only had mine two weeks and worn 3 times, but I certainly wouldn't pay £450 for a CT suit. £239 felt about right -- extra £50 for the endurance/travel version.

No idea, only had mine two weeks and worn 3 times, but I certainly wouldn't pay £450 for a CT suit. £239 felt about right -- extra £50 for the endurance/travel version.
    Agreed. I get so many discount emails and vouchers it would be 'madness' to pay full price from a hight street store especially for their most expensive item.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I might go and have a look but get the impression that by the time I get what I want it will be well over budget. Especially as I'm such a standard type of size and shape.

I have one suit from Suit Supply - no issues at all. Having lived in the Netherlands for many years, Suit Supply (a Dutch brand) was the default choice for most of my friends. No one had reported a problem.

The only disappointment I've had with SS is shirts - hit and miss in terms of fit. For trousers I've only ever needed length adjustments and nothing on jackets.

One warning - don't let them fit things too tightly, especially trousers. I bought one pair for a wedding and the damn thing wouldn't fit after a few wears - too tight around the leg.

Otherwise quality is great and they wear very well. I think you should find one in your budget Smokey, mine was I think €500 for the suit and a shirt.

Charles Tyrwhit do made to measure for the budget.

I last bought a couple of suits from the Moss Bross sale.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Paul Smith do great suits & great sales - however, you might be a bit late now as stock seems low - worth a look.

I have 2 x PS 'travelling suits' & they wear very nicely.

Cheers

Paul

I am going to also say maybe check out M&S.

It may surprise but if the fit works for you, some of the stuff isn't that bad at all.

I have always done quite well with Jaeger in the sale.

https://www.jaeger.co.uk/sale/mens/suits

Regular price is your budget but closer to 300 in the sale

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post

Funnily enough my last two suits have come from Jaeger and was pretty happy with end product......at the discounted price of course!

Back in the day my dad would swear by them as some high end offering.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The only disappointment I've had with SS is shirts - hit and miss in terms of fit
    Interesting, I had to return some shirts because of the over generous sleeve lengths.

Interesting, I had to return some shirts because of the over generous sleeve lengths.

I bought them for the long arm length! However the fit over the body was odd. I reckon some issues with shrinkage on first wash, but couldn’t say 100%

Master

Yes second that- always been happy with Jaeger suits and often good deals available in sales.

Journeyman

Another vote for Jaeger here. I’ve had a few from the outlet at Cheshire Oaks at £150 - £200 in the sales and found them to be better quality than the Boss outlet ones at £100 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Joe View Post
    Another vote for Jaeger here. I’ve had a few from the outlet at Cheshire Oaks at £150 - £200 in the sales and found them to be better quality than the Boss outlet ones at £100 more.

I'd also echo that Boss comment.

Bought my first nice 'branded' suit from Boss store with my first bonus in the late 90's from their store on Jermyn Street.

Really disappointed with quality and never bought another since.

Whatever suit you buy, make sure you have it altered so that it fits you really well. You can buy the most expensive suit but if the trousers gather around your ankles or it's too tight when you button it or the sleeves or jacket length are off then it won't look good. Find a good alterations place and the money you pay them will be well spent.

My daughter is getting married in June and I always said I'd get a Boss suit when one of the kids got married.

So, I went along, but honestly I've got nicer made suits in my wardrobe - I was hugely disappointed, not what I remembered from the late 20th century...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I’ve tended to go with Paul Smith though I think the range in your price bracket might be smaller unless you can find a sale.