closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crystal mark - what should I do before a sale?

Crystal mark - what should I do before a sale?

I have a Rolex 16710 BLNR which is surplus to requirements. It's in really great condition as far as the case and bracelet go but there is a small mark on the crystal. This leads me to a whole series of questions.

How much a problem is that going to be when selling?
    If it's going to knock the potential price too much, is it worth paying for a replacement?
    How much does a replacement crystal cost?
    Are there alternatives (polishing???)?

Thanks for any views or assistance :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Only way to find out is to price it sensibly and test the market.

What matters to one person won't to another and that might take a couple face to face inspections.

Worst case scenario you need to price in a replacement crystal from Rolex?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    I suspect you could make that a lot less conspicuous by giving it a good rub with a soft cloth dampened with Brasso. The same approach worked very well for me for a small scratch on a Rolex sapphire years ago. Went from obvious to difficult to see. The only thing is to be careful not to get Brasso or whatever down the side of the crystal.

Call a Rolex authorised independent and ask for an approx cost. Take that cost off the price of what it would go for without the issue plus a bit more for the inconvenience.

If it's one of the first BLNRs consider sending to Rolex for a service.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I suspect you could make that a lot less conspicuous by giving it a good rub with a soft cloth dampened with Brasso. The same approach worked very well for me for a small scratch on a Rolex sapphire years ago. Went from obvious to difficult to see. The only thing is to be careful not to get Brasso or whatever down the side of the crystal.
    That’s good advice, it takes the sharp edge off the scratch or chip and makes it far less noticable.

It’s a tricky one, if you don’t mention it someone will spot it, if you do someone will make a mountain out of a molehill and try to chip the price down.

Suggest you try the Brasso trick, polish it with a soft cloth for 30 mins and gave a look. If its a small scratch work along the direction of the scratch. It can be done v. carefully with a Dremel, but it must be done carefully to avoid localised heat.

If the crystal improves significantly that gives you more options regarding how to describe the watch. If you haven’t had it from new that provides further options.

The only thing to beware of is to confirm there’s no AR coating on the outside!

I had similar issue with my Breitling.
    First owner I've bought a watch from was I military pilot who claimed that it happened during his service. I've left it as it was and when the time came sold it a bit cheaper to let the new seller to decide if he want change it or not.