closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller Divers 36-38mm

Craftsman

Smaller Divers 36-38mm

Looking to consolidate my small(ish) collection and as I like divers I'm looking for an everyday diver but at a smaller size. I recently got the Everest 36 and really like the size, also have a 36mm DJ , these seem to make my existing divers feel huge, even my Steinhart 39 feels big! So what is out there in the 36-38mm range? any suggestions? Cheers, John B4

Master
    One of the obvious contenders is probably the SKX013 - 37mm

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...e-propositionn

Master
    Been looking at this myself recently - my DJ has also brought me round to smaller and smaller watches. A range of prices:

Seiko SKX013

Christopher Ward 38mm tridents

Oris 65 36mm

Rado Captain Cook 37.3mm. I especially like the ghost special edition.

Omega Seamaster 36.25mm in various models

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 38mm

I’m going to try a CW bronze trident, I think.

Sinn U200 if you can find one

Black Bay 58 comes close at 39mm - it wears small-ish I'd say and most seem to be happy with it?

Precista PRS-18 - bezel diameter of 39mm and wears small.

I don't know the dimensions but a Citizen BN0000 is small and tidy diver.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post

Rado Captain Cook 37.3mm. I especially like the ghost special edition.
    I can recommend this one, I have its and it might been SC very soon....

Master
    Rado Captain Cook Ghost Bezel LE is one I can highly recommend. Wears beautifully but with debatable logic the fact that the crown is not screw-down made me sell up. I do miss it since it was absolutely lovely!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't have one but the Baltic Aquascaphe especially in blue gilt looks lovely, 39 mm x 47 mm.
    I recently bought one of their 3 hander HMS 001, it's a lovely thing, feels good quality and so far hasn't lost/gained a second, amazingly. So may treat myself to their diver later this year.
    OOPs sorry if that's a mm too big, but just checked and the bezels 39 mm, case is 38 mm.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th January 2020 at 13:55.

Master

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    Yes the PRS18 does wear nice and small. I use an auto version for nearly 10 years. Before that I had a 36mm Tudor midi Sub and I am currently waiting for the mechanical version of the 36mm Marathon Arctic as I like white dials.

I suggest you have a look at the 36mm MARATHON SEARCH & RESCUE MEDIUM DIVER’S AUTOMATIC with the black dial.

Master
    Longines Legend Diver 36mm

Grand Master
    Much as I’m a fan of smaller watches, I find divers below 38mm wear a bit small, its all to do with the bezel and size of the dial. The pre-Bond Seamaster full size pro a good example, its slim and approx 39mm, ideal diver size for me and v. comfortable. Finding a good one isn’t easy thesedays!

Of course the new Dreadnought is going to be 38mm.

The Rado Captain Cook is on sale at Jura if you’re so inclined..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    How about this. Breitling Superocean at 38mm. Other dial colours are available if you don’t fancy yellow. Think you can pick these up for c£1k second hand

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    The Rado Captain Cook is on sale at Jura if you’re so inclined..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's great value

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    That's great value
    Don’t. I’m still mourning mine!

Master
    I know it’s been done before but could anybody explain the reliability of 100m water resistance for non-screw down crowns on divers/skin divers, please?

Craftsman
    Thank you all for your suggestions, plenty of food for thought, please keep them coming though! Plan will be to move on some of the current collection to pave the way for a nice (but smaller) diver, will try to get to see, and try on, some of the suggestions. Cheers, John B4

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I know it’s been done before but could anybody explain the reliability of 100m water resistance for non-screw down crowns on divers/skin divers, please?

On some screw-down crowns the action of screwing the crown doesn't improve the sealing by squeezing the seal, it acts as safeguard against the crown opening during dive condition and potentially allowing the hands to be inadvertently moved, which could seriously spoil your day if you were diving and relying on the watch to time the dive.

Some designs, such as the older Omega SMP, do use the screw action to compress the seal and improve the water resistance.

If a watch is rated to 100metres WR and doesn`t have a screw-down crown, I wouldn't be at all worried unless I wished to use the watch for serious diving. I prefer non screw down crowns because they don't suffer from worn threads and damage as they age, that's a far bigger advantage to me, but I don't dive or even swim in watches.

Big WR numbers give people a warm feeling, but once the seal materials deteriorate all bets are off, 300metres WR can become jack-shit WR if the glass seal ages and cracks, I sorted out a Steinhart recently where the glass seal had deteriorated over 5-6 years and cracked, a watch with 50M WR and seals that don't deteriorate is a better proposition. By coincidence I had the same problem with a TAG that was a similar age, both used white plastic Hytrel gaskets, the material had degraded to become very brittle, which shouldn't happen. I suspect some poor quality gaskets have been produced and I hope this situation has now been resolved. I took a similar gasket out of a 15 years old TAG recently and the Hytrel gasket was absolutely fine I could've reused it, but I`d already ordered a replacement. Hytrel is a Dupont product that's probably off patent now, possibly the same material is being produced to a lower spec, that wouldn't surprise me.

There's more to WR than the numbers on the dial!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 28th January 2020 at 18:56.

Not new, but 38mm of dive loveliness. Very slim case as well.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Definitely consider the BB58. I alternate between one and a 36mm Explorer.

I also have a 37mm Seiko dive watch as a beater but think the dial looks too small. Dive watches don’t scale down that well as the end up all bezel.

Master
    Midsize Seamaster pro. Lovely little watches - I had one as my daily wearer for many years before it was blatantly stolen by my Mrs. The quartz versions are relatively cheap if you can find a good one second hand and (against the opinion of others on this thread) I think all round better proportioned than the 42mm version.

Craftsman
    I have got so used to wearing this little 37mm diver that now my Omega Seamasters and Breitling Colt II seem huge now.

Craftsman
    Citizen NY2300 on the used market is a decent alternative to the SKX013, with the added bonus of hand winding (but not hacking)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    Not new, but 38mm of dive loveliness. Very slim case as well.

I have owned a Tag Heuer 2000 diver similar to this. Relatively inexpensive too.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    That's great value
    Oooh, that is very tempting.

Dave

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB4 View Post
    Looking to consolidate my small(ish) collection and as I like divers I'm looking for an everyday diver but at a smaller size. I recently got the Everest 36 and really like the size, also have a 36mm DJ , these seem to make my existing divers feel huge, even my Steinhart 39 feels big! So what is out there in the 36-38mm range? any suggestions? Cheers, John B4
    I have the Omega Planet Ocean 37.5mm. Here: https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...23230382001001

It's thick as fsck though, and difficult to wear under dress shirts. Hence I don't find it that versatile and only wear it in summer or on holidays with short sleeve shirts.

Kind regards

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you can find one of these they wear small due to being very slim. Also available with black dial.

Zenith Rainbow Elite 670 – 1998
    39mm; 9mm thick
    02.0473.670 - SS with white dial & black bezel

[url=https://postimg.cc/image/t5pq19qzf/]
    [/url<https://s17.postimg.org/3mxdo97fj/zenith.jpg%5b/img%5d%5b/url>]

Master
    Does it need to be an ISO diver? I’ve always had an urge to try one of the Nomos Ahoi neomatik blue dial versions as a casual/holiday watch.

Master
    Halios Fairwind (or Universa) when they are released. - 39mm & 38mm respectively.

Master
    I like the dial on that Halios Universal but the case looks like a watch that has lost its rotating bezel.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Much as I’m a fan of smaller watches, I find divers below 38mm wear a bit small, its all to do with the bezel and size of the dial.
    Just wanted to echo this. I have no issue wearing 36mm watches with thinner bezels but the size really doesn't work for me when the watch has a thicker sports bezel as it really shrinks the case down. In fact 38mm is the smallest I would go (my 38mm Timex Q reissue is just about big enough size wise). OP make sure you try before you buy as you may be surprised how small they can wear.

Quote Originally Posted by will128small View Post
    Nice
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I’ve just received a 38mm CW trident bronze today. It’s a lovely watch.

I have a not quite, but very close to, 7 inch wrist.

I think small divers look cool but I don’t think anything less than 37-38mm would work unless your wrist is 6.5 inches or below.

I’m coming to the conclusion that 36mm watches are perfect for non-divers and 38-40mm is perfect for divers or chronographs.

BCE817E2-BCB9-4E42-A54E-8783467A059E by Berty234, on Flickr

B3A4E141-9FDF-4F4F-9B21-2A272646ACBA by Berty234, on Flickr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I like the dial on that Halios Universal but the case looks like a watch that has lost its rotating bezel.
    Yes, the photo does make it look a bit like that. Not really a dive watch, but thought it may be an option for the OP.

The polished bezel looks a bit better in this pic.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Nice
    Thanks. My only issue with it is the bracelet doesn't taper enough for a small watch. 20mm at the lugs and the clasp is 18mm. Could do with tapering to 16mm and it would be better proportioned.

Craftsman
    My thanks to all for responding with ideas. Having bought many watches from photos/descriptions/reviews (and SC!) I think I need to take my time and go and look/try on this time. I don't need 600m depth rating, just something robust, fairly smart, hopefully quite thin and light that I can take swimming/sailing and biking...again thanks for ideas, should keep me busy for a while! Cheers, John B4

Omega do a rather wonderful 37.5mm planet ocean:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...23230382001001

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    Omega do a rather wonderful 37.5mm planet ocean:

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-o...23230382001001
    Having owned this watch, I wouldnt recommend it.

It sits uncomfortably on the wrist due to short lugs and a raised caseback, and is surprisingly thick, giving it a really chubby appearance combined with its sub 38mm diameter.

Master
    The vintage Zodiac Sea Wolf are really lovely and around 36mm

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I don't have one but the Baltic Aquascaphe especially in blue gilt looks lovely, 39 mm x 47 mm.
    I recently bought one of their 3 hander HMS 001, it's a lovely thing, feels good quality and so far hasn't lost/gained a second, amazingly. So may treat myself to their diver later this year.
    OOPs sorry if that's a mm too big, but just checked and the bezels 39 mm, case is 38 mm.
    I have the this very same model and it wears superb and the finish quality is awesome for a sub $700.00 watch. I also have the Smiths PRS-25 in 36mm and also the PRS-29A in 36mm and both fit me so well that I sold my Christopher Ward C65 diver with the hand wound movement because it is 41mm and it just wore so large that I decided not to buy anything larger than a 38mm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I’ve just received a 38mm CW trident bronze today. It’s a lovely watch.

I have a not quite, but very close to, 7 inch wrist.

I think small divers look cool but I don’t think anything less than 37-38mm would work unless your wrist is 6.5 inches or below.

I’m coming to the conclusion that 36mm watches are perfect for non-divers and 38-40mm is perfect for divers or chronographs.

BCE817E2-BCB9-4E42-A54E-8783467A059E by Berty234, on Flickr

B3A4E141-9FDF-4F4F-9B21-2A272646ACBA by Berty234, on Flickr
    I Totally agree. I have one true dive watch with a rotating bezel which is the Baltic Aquascaphe which is 38mm at the case and 39mm at the bezel. My other watches are all field watches ranging from 36-38mm. I prefer smaller watches and I have a 7 inch wrist. I like the looks of the Oris Diver 65 in 36mm but I really don't like the price or the oddball lug width.

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    I have the this very same model and it wears superb and the finish quality is awesome for a sub $700.00 watch. I also have the Smiths PRS-25 in 36mm and also the PRS-29A in 36mm and both fit me so well that I sold my Christopher Ward C65 diver with the hand wound movement because it is 41mm and it just wore so large that I decided not to buy anything larger than a 38mm.
    Good to hear, I'm giving the Aquascaphe some serious consideration as a birthday treat this year, sapphire bezel, domed sapphire crystal, semi sandwich dial, slim, really excellent finishing, and a very elegant design with it's own personality for under 500 gbp, it's got a lot going for it and the rather neat quick release system for easy strap changing. The people behind Baltic seem to have a great eye for colour and detail.
    Although my wrist is 8 inches I find the 42 mm pieces I have tried can wear a bit cumbersome, and maybe I'm just clumsy but the bigger/thicker watches I tend to bump, snag and scratch more readily.
    Last edited by Passenger; 31st January 2020 at 11:05.

Master
    The tag aquracer comes in smaller sizes that they market as the ladies range i think but looks pretty unisex to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post

I don't know the dimensions but a Citizen BN0000 is small and tidy diver.
    I agree that the PRS-18 is a good shout, although it’s 39mm as you say. It seems that it is sold out on the Timefactors website. I wonder if it’s coming back? Edit: according to Eddie it’s having a rest.
    Last edited by Timelord; 4th February 2020 at 21:05.

Just to finish: here my (stolen) SKX173 Seiko: 38mm, reliable, relatively cheap, all days outdoor watch!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Jo

I believe the SKX173 is 42mm

Just out of the box...