closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Questions about the Dreadnought Voyager PRS-21

Questions about the Dreadnought Voyager PRS-21

I successfully ordered a DN Voyager last Sunday and was among the lucky ones . In 2003 I already had the original Dreadnought and stupidly sold it again in 2004 . I have a few questions about the Voyager GMT - hoping that someone can answer them for me.

- The cases of the original Dreadnought PRS-2 were produced by Fricker here in Germany - is Fricker also the case manufacturer of the PRS-21?
    - Are the bracelets produced in Europe or are they imported from Asia and finally finished in England?
    - Is the Voyager assembled in England? The original DN was completely assembled by Fricker, right?
    - What role did Roland Kemmner play in the development / construction of the Voyager starting approx. in 2013? I stumbled upon his name in a thread here - I am a fan of his watches and own 5 different Kemmner Octopus. Unfortunately, he closed his company last year due to age.
    - Will Voyager continue to be produced indefinitely or is there an end date?

Difficult questions, in my opinion. I am curious to see if answers can be found to them. In any case, thank you already now for your answers.

The Voyager was produced by Kemmner, who as you probably know, was production englineer for Fricker. They were assembled in Germany but only Roland Kemmner can say where the components were sourced.

It's unlikely more will be made.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thanks a lot, Eddie. And no, I didn't know Roland Kemmner also worked FOR Fricker. WITH Fricker, yes I know it. You live and learn.

So, a few hours ago I received the information, that the Dreadnought Voyager will shipped out today, for delivery tomorrow. That is really really fast. I am thrilled! Amazing...

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Eddie very much! I ordered the Dreadnought on Sunday at 15:00 o'clock German time (=14 o'clock Great Britain time). On Tuesday Eddie already shipped the watch and it arrived yesterday by UPS. That is really damn fast!

And, since there are not so many photos here in the forum - 3 photos of the really great watch are attached!

Very nice. What size is your wrist for scale please?

Thanks!

Wrist ist approx. 19,8 cm / 7,8 inch.

Master
    Congrats on the new Voyager. Like you I had an original Dread and sold it but I’ve just picked up a used Voyager. I’d forgotten just how good they are.

Congratulations on your new Voyager! I am really enthusiastic - the clock is now 1 second to slow in 36 hours. It wears itself with a few band link less (I have never bought a watch where a bracelet was mounted, which is suitable for ~ 32 cm wrist circumference) outstanding. The overall height in relation to the large case is almost perfect. The weight is now around 215 grams. What more could you want?

It is a shame they will not be made again, but the simple fact is that Eddie made a single batch of these, it has taken ages to sell them, and some still remain, so I am not at all surprised.

As I am not so much in the topic "Dreadnought GMT" in the past - does that mean that the currently sold watches are still from the batch 2013 where GMT sales began? So the leftovers that weren't sold then? Did I understand that correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by TTR350 View Post
    As I am not so much in the topic "Dreadnought GMT" in the past - does that mean that the currently sold watches are still from the batch 2013 where GMT sales began? So the leftovers that weren't sold then? Did I understand that correctly?

Look here at post #12. Those on sale now are obviously from a further batch, although I can't recall when or how many.

Edit.

"PRS-39 is available from 24 March 2015 and the Dreadnought Voyager PRS-21 GMT is also back in stock."
    Last edited by magirus; 31st January 2020 at 12:34.
    F.T.F.A.

Thanks for the hint - my new Voyager has the following number, which means it is from 2014 or the parts / the case.

Thanks for the hint - my new Voyager has the following number, which means it is from 2014 or the parts / the case.

Not strictly correct. Because of the thick soft iron dial, we needed movements with a different hand height to the standard movement. ETA TWICE delivered standard hand height and because of this, there was a gap of two years after sellng the first batch and the second batch being available. The cases were already made in anticipation of ETA delivering the correct movement on the first try.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Mine's never been worn on the bracelet, it came off the second I unpacked the watch, far too heavy for my taste. It was on leather or the supplied rubber strap for quite a while, until one day I had a near miss . . .

. . . luckily I spotted this in time. I guess the friction of the rubber on the bar worked the screw loose and it came out and was lost, what you see is the end of the bar just hanging on. I then refitted both bars and loctited them in place with Loctite 222. The watch has been on a variety of Nato straps ever since.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank Eddie very much! I ordered the Dreadnought on Sunday at 15:00 o'clock German time (=14 o'clock Great Britain time). On Tuesday Eddie already shipped the watch and it arrived yesterday by UPS. That is really damn fast!

And, since there are not so many photos here in the forum - 3 photos of the really great watch are attached!

Great looking piece,been thinking about one of these for some time now.

I think they look fab, are they a "true" GMT with a hacking hour hand? I can't seem to find that info on the TF site, I will dig a bit deeper and see if a manual is available online.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I think they look fab, are they a "true" GMT with a hacking hour hand? I can't seem to find that info on the TF site, I will dig a bit deeper and see if a manual is available online.

This is correct. With crown pulled out to first position turn one way to quickset date and other way to advance GMT hand in one hour increments.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    This is correct. With crown pulled out to first position turn one way to quickset date and other way to advance GMT hand in one hour increments.
    Thanks for the reply, I thought the hour hand not the GMT hand was the quick set and the GMT hand tracked like a "normal" hour hand but taking 24 hours to rotate 1 revolution?
    Last edited by Arcam; 3rd March 2020 at 12:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I thought the hour hand not the GMT hand was the quick set and the GMT hand tracked like a "normal" hour hand but taking 24 hours to rotate 1 revolution?

The GMT hand does indeed do 1 revolution per 24hrs, but as I say it's independently quick-settable in 1 hour clicks.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The GMT hand does indeed do 1 revolution per 24hrs, but as I say it's independently quick-settable in 1 hour clicks.
    Got it now thanks

I find that a odd way of doing it, I am used to the Breitling/Rolex way of GMT hand operation.

So the voyager is what's generally termed an office GMT and not a traveller GMT.
    An office GMT is useful to keep track of what time it is in another "office", as it is the GMT hand that moves around in increments. Another office can be tracked by offsetting the bezel.
    A traveller GMT is more useful for the traveller, because it is the hour hand, not the GMT one, that moves around in 1-hr clicks. So one usually sets the hour and GMT hand to your home timzeone (before travelling), but when you move out of it, you simply click the hour hand forward or back to your new timezone as you travel (and this does not hack the movement), but your GMT hand remains on your home timezone.

The office GMT has the slight disadvantage that you cannot set a new time on the main hands without hacking the movement, you can only move the GMT hand without hacking.

Hope that makes sense.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    So the voyager is what's generally termed an office GMT and not a traveller GMT.
    An office GMT is useful to keep track of what time it is in another "office", as it is the GMT hand that moves around in increments. Another office can be tracked by offsetting the bezel.
    A traveller GMT is more useful for the traveller, because it is the hour hand, not the GMT one, that moves around in 1-hr clicks. So one usually sets the hour and GMT hand to your home timzeone (before travelling), but when you move out of it, you simply click the hour hand forward or back to your new timezone as you travel (and this does not hack the movement), but your GMT hand remains on your home timezone.

The office GMT has the slight disadvantage that you cannot set a new time on the main hands without hacking the movement, you can only move the GMT hand without hacking.

Hope that makes sense.
    Dave
    Perfect Dave, thanks for the excellent reply. I was going to buy a DN GMT until I realised it was of the "office" type, having used the "traveller" version on different watches for years I would be very reluctant to change, pity as the DN looks fab.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post

Hope that makes sense.
    Dave
    But surely you can decide which one you want to set for wherever you are and which one you want to set for your home (or other) time zone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KAS118 View Post
    But surely you can decide which one you want to set for wherever you are and which one you want to set for your home (or other) time zone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The usual way is for the main display to show local time and the 24 hour hand to show home time.

Eddie