closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Spitfire

Craftsman

IWC Spitfire

Currently got a massive craving for the IWC Spitfire. It ticks a lot of boxes for me with the simple no fuss dial, to the case size of 39.0m and sits just 10.8m tall. Excellent 72 hour power reserve calibre 32110.
    Currently wearing a Hamilton Khaki Field which is now my daily wear for work and is so comfortable and reliable do I need to be sensible as the Hamilton is very similar? But we all know in this hobby of ours that sensibility sometimes goes out the window.
    I know I said no more this year so something will have to go if I go ahead and scratch this itch.
    Anybody on here have the IWC Spitfire and would appreciate your thoughts? Or any thoughts from the community on IWC as a whole?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Master
    I understand the craving. Very nice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spoilt by the date function imho. Otherwise a corker.

This is the one I have been looking at ( or the chrono spitfire ! )

Wish I had bought one when the euro /pound spiked - it was quite a good discount then

Cheers

Matt

Craftsman
    Not worth the money imho when you can get a mark xii or xv for half the price on bracelet.

Depends if you are set on the 39mm case, new
    movement and 8 year warranty :)

I love the bracelet as well that IWC provides so a Mark XVIII would also be nice though in a slighly bigger case and eta/sellita movement.

Classic watches though !

Cheers

Matt

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Yes, I agree with that. My Mk XII is my favourite watch but I've often thought it would be perfect without the date.

I really like these too but I can't help feeling they are expensive for what they are (even more so than usual for this hobby).

I saw one at Heathrow in December. I was in a rush otherwise I would have tried it on. Good thing about IWC is that you can mostly get to see the product at retail.

I have also been looking at the XVIII models recently and fancy a blue dialled Petit Prince.

What movements are in these, are they in house or ETA?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I have also been looking at the XVIII models recently and fancy a blue dialled Petit Prince.

The one the OP posted has an inhouse movement. The Mark XVIII has a Sellita SW300.

I really like the spitfire other than the fact that it says "Spitfire" on the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

A nice hands on article here, especially the comments -https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...matic-spitfire

In-house is misleading - based on ETA I think with modifications including silicon escape wheel and lever. The hairspring is not silicon.

I think it looks nice - the date lines up much better compared to the Mark version for instance and the fauxtina lume kinda of works (maybe two colours is a bit jarring for some). However I am not sure if it actually represents good value. Pricey at RRP I think.

I actually like the IWC x Hodinkee version that was released, seems a nicer watch. Difficult to find I reckon.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments, can pick this up at quite a decent discount.
    Agree about the date window but can live with that. Will have a look again this weekend and decide.
    As an aside he offered me the chrono Spitfire again at a decent discount, but at 15mm thick I declined.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Can I be nosey at what sort of discount you have been offered ?

Master
    very very nice, im going on holiday in two week but when i get back im buying one of these

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    A nice hands on article here, especially the comments -https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...matic-spitfire

Ah, the comments!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    Ah, the comments!!!!
    I give Hodinkee credit that they don't seem to moderate out comments in articles that call them out. In articles like this where you can tell the writer is sitting on the fence, the comments are where you need to go to get the real answer

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    +1, fantastic watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Can I be nosey at what sort of discount you have been offered ?
    No problem, currently RRP is 4,290 but wouldn't expect to pay RRP. Been offered one for 3,200 so pretty decent i would say! The chrono version is currently 5,500 again offered at 3,940. Be aware this is converted from the Bahrain dinar price.

Thing is i currently cant get over to Bahrain until my new visa is issued!!! hopefully this week.

Good prices...

Watches of mayfair had the spitfire at 3200 gbp but the price is following the fxrates so i think its sitting around 3900 euros.

When I enquired on the chrono at the time it was about 4200 gbp

Still quite alot of money but if you are going to keep it its a watch i would be happy to wear daily !

I did notice that all the prices on iwc.com seemed to jump by a few hundred quid after New Year....

cheers

Matt

Master
    Blog Entries
    Are the hour markers only lumed at 12,3,6 & 9? Seems a different colour.

Except for one feature (flaw) I love that watch. I would only buy it if it came like this:

It does look better without the date, but for me the main thing wrong is the hands
    They are the wrong shape, too large and too close in size to one another. The are also BUhr hands on a RAF inspired watch.
    I much prefer the hand shape from the earlier MKs

Those hands. Value proposition , snort, for IWC sure.

Master
    i think its nice but in general i think the Hamiltons have superior quality movmeents which is hard to admit considering the price. But aesthetically obviously the IWC is a massive step forward.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    A military\Field styled watch is a great addition to any collection and IWC are the leading light that springs to mind, but if it were my choice I would be giving a lot of thought to this..........

Just a shame it’s 43mm. RRP £2020. Would be even better with a couple of mm trimmed off.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Just a shame it’s 43mm. RRP £2020. Would be even better with a couple of mm trimmed off.
    And the second dial needs to be a fraction bigger as well, it seems way too small.

Apprentice
    Currently looking for a field watch, Hamilton winning out purely based on cost. But that IWC is stunning.

Do like this model. Saw the Recent Bark and Jack video about the Mark xviii, which is something I have never considered but equally appealing for its simplicity.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-iwc-mark-xviii-4

Journeyman
    The bits of faux-patina put me off. I know it's a boring subject, but it's so silly.