closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Installing a home sauna

Craftsman

Installing a home sauna

Anyone installed a sauna in their house? Got a small space that should be able to take a 2 person sauna and seems they can be made bespoke to fit the coombed ceiling. Need to decide between infrared and traditional - in fact need to try the former style of heat first. Do I need an elec feed direct to the fuse box due to size of heater (3 to 5kw?). Keen to hear of any experiences or tips.

Hey mate,

Interested in seeing what anyone adds to this.

I’m a lover of both steam rooms and saunas. When I went to Centre Parcs last year with my family we got a place with a sauna and it had heated elements which might be similar to the infrared ones you mention (I’m not 100% but it was the first time I’d been in one that wasn’t a heated element underneath coals).

If you’re weighing up this kind my thoughts are that it seemed to take a real while to warm up and just never seemed to be at a temp that I felt was ‘sauna like’. It’s also a real pain having the elements around you; I explained what a sauna was to my young niece and she was really excited to try it but I spent most of the time on edge that either of us would burn ourselves. I also found the heat just didn’t have the dry nature of a real sauna, it was just like someone had cranked up an electric heater and I had a jumper on.

I hope to have one or a steam room when I move out of the city and potentially convert a garage or something, but I’d much prefer a traditional. Better replication or what I’m used to, it’s in one confined place and depending on the setup you may even be able to water the coals.

On a side note, do you know of red light therapy? I’d definitely look at incorporating even one or two spot bulbs as there’s a lot of studies on their great health benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    When I'm finally in a position to buy a new house hopefully next year I am really keen on putting a sauna in there.

There are some crazy statistics about regular use reducing mortality rates by double digit percentages due to increased heat shock proteins

I also find it pretty relaxing.

Craftsman
    Cheers guys. Looks like we aren't going to glean too much from here in terms of experience of this! First stage for me is to try one of these infrared saunas as agree it is the experience of the traditional type that makes this idea attractive so would be pointless to do if the heat felt uncomfortable.

Installing a home sauna

Quote Originally Posted by deejay View Post
    Cheers guys. Looks like we aren't going to glean too much from here in terms of experience of this! First stage for me is to try one of these infrared saunas as agree it is the experience of the traditional type that makes this idea attractive so would be pointless to do if the heat felt uncomfortable.
    I’m sure you’ve probably gone down this route but just in case, have a look on YouTube. It’s amazing the wealth of good content there is by people on things like self-builds, DIY, etc. I’d imagine there would also be a lot of videos from Sweden given the enormous number of homes that have saunas installed.

I didn’t find the infrared ones uncomfortable, it just wasn’t near what I think of a sauna feeling like. It was more like a warm room than a sauna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk