closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home insurance-any recommendations?

Blog Entries

Home insurance-any recommendations?

As a fair number of members here will have quite expensive items in the home, who would you recommend for Home and Contents insurance? Also do they have any special requirements such as alarms being armed at night when you go to bed?

Thanks.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Hiscox for me never had a problem with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having recently moved house I'm now shopping around. NFU visited me today to look at one of their bespoke policies.

I should hear back in a couple of days time once they've spoken to their underwriter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex L View Post
    Having recently moved house I'm now shopping around. NFU visited me today to look at one of their bespoke policies.

I should hear back in a couple of days time once they've spoken to their underwriter.
    Thanks NFU could be a possibility

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Hiscox for me never had a problem with them

Will check them out as well ta.

Blog Entries
    AXA for me. No special requirements. Went for the more expensive option an all-risks un-specified contents outside house insurance for any one precious item covers to £15K per item and £30K total. Good building insurance too and inclusive extras.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 27th January 2020 at 22:57.

I was quite pleased with the level of cover (platinum) / price - that Admiral provided for building & contents cover.

get an online quote easy enough.

I believe M&S is insured by Aviva, £15k single item limit for valuables and £50k total valuables limit, but with their Premier policy total buildings and contents are unlimited (certain inner limits apply).
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I was quite pleased with the level of cover (platinum) / price - that Admiral provided for building & contents cover.

get an online quote easy enough.
    I used Admiral when I renewed a couple of weeks ago. Also bundled in our two cars and was very happy with the deal we got for all three, and also the lack of hassle in dealing with one provider.

I did enquire about pet insurance but apparently adding the dog wouldn't have made a huge amount of difference.

I used these people https://pedalcover.co.uk/ who were recommended due for the need to insure expensive bikes abroad.

As a broker they set ours up with AXA, which included watches and the bikes abroad.

They also set up a separate excess insurance policy, which meant we could have a higher excess as the overall cost was lower, also it could be used to cover the excess on the motor insurance.

As to the alarm, we do have one, but it makes little difference on premium, also you would need it annually serviced and turned on.

Cannot remember which forum it was on, but an issue occurred when the couple were getting things out of the shed for Spring, when someone entered house and stole various things, since they had not alarmed the house the insurer did not pay out. There are other instances about alarms and non payouts, so for that reason we declare we do not have one.

Master
    Direct Line have a premium service called Premier (I think). You can't get quotes online, but they have excellent phone service (I guess to give it that premium feel). Buildings etc is very high and valuables is also very good. All watches/valuables under £10k are insured automatically, only those over £10k have to have valuations (I used the equivalent Watchfinder listing for mine and they accepted it).

If you're interested I can post more accurate details.

Craftsman
    Another satisfied NFU customer, with all my valuables listed with them, and they're happy to have agreed values on older watches.

We had a break in last autumn (long story) and their service was excellent. Having a local office with named individuals to speak to, made the whole claims process much more tolerable than it might have been with a faceless call centre.

They're also competitive with our cars, though different call centre for that.

Blog Entries
    Now sorted thanks.
    Found Direct Line Select to be easy to deal with and reasonable cost wise. No silly requirements and what seems like good cover.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Direct Line have a premium service called Premier (I think). You can't get quotes online, but they have excellent phone service (I guess to give it that premium feel). Buildings etc is very high and valuables is also very good. All watches/valuables under £10k are insured automatically, only those over £10k have to have valuations (I used the equivalent Watchfinder listing for mine and they accepted it).

If you're interested I can post more accurate details.

Craftsman
    I went with DL Select, as contents were over £150k, very good service and cover

Old thread, I know - but just taken up a new contents policy incl. personal belongings away from home.

Went with M&S.
    By far the easiest and of the 3 or 4 I tried, the cheapest.
    Cover includes £15k single item loss or theft anywhere in the world.