closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: The New Seiko Prospex King Turtle SRPE03,SRPEO5 & SRPE07

  1. #1
    Master Tazmo61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,282

    The New Seiko Prospex King Turtle SRPE03,SRPEO5 & SRPE07

    The new Seiko prospex king turtle , ref SRPE03 , SRPE05 and SRPE07.

    https://wornandwound.com/all-hail-th...05-and-srpe07/


    Last edited by Tazmo61; 27th January 2020 at 20:00.

  2. #2
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    132
    Sapphire and ceramic - about time. Not sure about the day date cyclops though


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #3
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Sapphire and ceramic - about time. Not sure about the day date cyclops though


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Agreed. The colours look great but the cyclops looks odd

  4. #4
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stuck in 1996
    Posts
    12,006
    The cyclops is horrendous :(

  5. #5
    Master bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    1,109
    It's easy to pop the cyclops off. Ceramic is a bad idea on a dive watch.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The cyclops is horrendous :(
    It really is, itís embarrassingly bad. What were they thinking?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    It really is, itís embarrassingly bad. What were they thinking?
    Easy, they weren't. Awful decision as was the one to never give a watch like this with the option for time only. Not everyone needs the day and date.

  8. #8
    Master Tazmo61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,282
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The cyclops is horrendous :(

    I agree , totally spoils the looks of a decent looking watch IMO .

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,279
    Blog Entries
    1
    THe 05 model is the pick of the bunch.

  10. #10
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    30,036
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    It's easy to pop the cyclops off. Ceramic is a bad idea on a dive watch.
    Only for the 1% who use them for diving

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    It's easy to pop the cyclops off. Ceramic is a bad idea on a dive watch.
    I'm of the camp that ceramic is a bad idea full stop!

    So close Seiko, but that damn that cyclops is fugly. Even if it can be easy to get rid of. I think we may see more cyclops by them in the future.

  12. #12
    Craftsman konlew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    375
    If the day/date window is the same size as in normal Turtle, the cyclop is not only ugly, but also useless...

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Blackwood, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    If the day/date window is the same size as in normal Turtle, the cyclop is not only ugly, but also useless...
    That depends on your eyesight, I don't have a cat's chance of reading the day date on my non cyclops turtles without glasses on. With a cyclops I can, just about.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Blackwood, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,211
    Seiko generally seem to fit cyclops to Far Eastern market only turtles such as the Nemo and Okinawa Sea Grapes to give just two examples. So is a general dislike of cyclops a Western thing perhaps?

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,279
    Blog Entries
    1
    Has anyone tried the green?

  16. #16
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That depends on your eyesight, I don't have a cat's chance of reading the day date on my non cyclops turtles without glasses on. With a cyclops I can, just about.

    Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk
    The older I get the more I'm inclined to agree with you. I think it's 2x magnification. I've resisted having a date magnifier so far, but I reckon my next watch will have to have it. Anybody buy one yet?

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,279
    Blog Entries
    1
    [QUOTE=Middo;5356674]I have the green




  18. #18
    Saw the green and black ones today, was wondering what they were as I seemed to have completely missed these!

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    12,748
    no to the cyclops from me, and i'm unsure about that new bezel edge.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  20. #20
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Leamington Spa
    Posts
    41
    Defo doesn't need the cyclops, shame really as I am after the wavy Save The Ocean dial so looks like I will go either Samurai or Monster for this edition. Bezel looks better than my current turtle though.

  21. #21
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    159
    The Cyclops don't look great for day/date. Otherwise, nice watch.

    Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    no to the cyclops from me, and i'm unsure about that new bezel edge.
    +1!!! Not sold on the dials either, but the edge is not great.

  23. #23
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,048
    I have a few Seiko's - I just could not buy one with an "X" - maybe I'll change my mine, but I just think it looks awful and they insist on sticking it on most of their new models

  24. #24
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    77
    Nice one Middo, looks like everything lines up properly. Do you call it a grenade or waffle dial?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I have a few Seiko's - I just could not buy one with an "X" - maybe I'll change my mine, but I just think it looks awful and they insist on sticking it on most of their new models
    Honestly, once you succumb, you realise these modern Seiko's are quite nice and need to be tried. And you do get used to it, I barely think about it now.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Honestly, once you succumb, you realise these modern Seiko's are quite nice and need to be tried. And you do get used to it, I barely think about it now.
    I also don't understand why they keep slapping the word "Prospex" on all the bloody ranges - I know what it is short for, but what does it bloody mean ....... very little

    (I spent quite a lot of time in Japan in the 80's - I was Chairman of a couple of Japanese, UK owned companies - and they are famous at getting words "wrong" - I remember hiking up a mountain and at the top was a vending machine with cold drinks - and one was "drink Pocari Sweat" - to the Japanese the name was logical!!)
    Last edited by BillN; 20th March 2020 at 23:25.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I also don't understand why they keep slapping the word "Prospex" on all the bloody ranges - I know what it is short for, but what does it bloody mean ....... very little

    (I spent quite a lot of time in Japan in the 80's - I was Chairman of a couple of Japanese, UK owned companies - and they are famous at getting words "wrong" - I remember hiking up a mountain and at the top was a vending machine with cold drinks - and one was "drink Pocari Sweat" - to the Japanese the name was logical!!)
    hahaha, best to simply accept some oddities within other cultures! A different story when you're deliberately trying to export a product. It may make sense to Seiko, the rest of the world? Less so!

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    location, location
    Posts
    2,279
    Blog Entries
    1

    The New Seiko Prospex King Turtle SRPE03,SRPEO5 & SRPE07

    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I also don't understand why they keep slapping the word "Prospex" on all the bloody ranges - I know what it is short for, but what does it bloody mean ....... very little

    (I spent quite a lot of time in Japan in the 80's - I was Chairman of a couple of Japanese, UK owned companies - and they are famous at getting words "wrong" - I remember hiking up a mountain and at the top was a vending machine with cold drinks - and one was "drink Pocari Sweat" - to the Japanese the name was logical!!)
    Pocari sweat is a big brand all over the region still.

    I really like the dial on this, with the gold text , second hand and the green strap. Apart from the cyclops it’s a belter, so much so I haven’t even worn my new black sumo.

    Last edited by Middo; 21st March 2020 at 14:49.

  29. #29
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    140
    I love the 6309 and it's descendents.

    I can't afford one of these.

    I'm probably going to end up buying one...

  30. #30
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    140
    Are these a limited edition?

    If not, do people reckon they're likely to stay in production for a while?

    Don't know what Seiko are generally doing these days with their lines. Things seem to change fairly fast.

  31. #31
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    21,756
    The only time a cyclop has ever looked right is on a Datejust, on a sports watch it's just naff, obviously other opinions are available, ceramic bezel - on a dive watch really? It maybe fashionable for desk divers - but not practical on a tool watch.

    Plus side - nice positive bezel edge.

    For me they're just a drift dive too far away from the origins of Seiko tool watches.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd May 2020 at 07:32.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  32. #32
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The only time a cyclop has ever looked right is on a Datejust, on a sports watch it's just naff, obviously other opinions are available, ceramic bezel - on a dive watch really? It maybe fashionable for desk divers - but not practical on a tool watch.

    Plus side - nice positive bezel edge.

    For me they're just a drift dive too far away from the origins of Seiko tool watches.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's the issue with ceramic bezels on dive watches? Is it a brittleness thing?

    If so aren't we back to the same point of contention as the old sapphire vs hardlex debate?

  33. #33
    Master bedlam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia (GMT +8)
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's the issue with ceramic bezels on dive watches? Is it a brittleness thing?

    If so aren't we back to the same point of contention as the old sapphire vs hardlex debate?
    Yup. Sapphire and ceramic are fine on a dive watch but not really optimal IMO

  34. #34
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Yup. Sapphire and ceramic are fine on a dive watch but not really optimal IMO
    Ok, understood.

    I think that for a pure divers watch, I agree.

    But I also know that 99% of the people who buy these will never dive with them, and so a degree of brittleness in return for greatly improved scratch resistance is a compromise the majority of consumers are prepared to make.

    I think that while watches such as these should remain ISO certified, and dive ready, the notion of a dive watch in itself is inherently anachronistic, and the appeal is in applying the rugged durability offered by dive watch specs to your daily life, and thus a degree of adaptation is acceptable.

    So while I accept it's not necessarily optimal from an absolute purists perspective, I would personally much prefer my seiko divers to have sapphire and ceramic outside bits, and I think the audience these watches are aimed at are largely in the same boat (trying not to bash their desk divers against the sides).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information