closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The New Seiko Prospex King Turtle SRPE03,SRPEO5 & SRPE07

The New Seiko Prospex King Turtle SRPE03,SRPEO5 & SRPE07

The new Seiko prospex king turtle , ref SRPE03 , SRPE05 and SRPE07.

https://wornandwound.com/all-hail-th...05-and-srpe07/

Last edited by Tazmo61; 27th January 2020 at 20:00.

Journeyman
    Sapphire and ceramic - about time. Not sure about the day date cyclops though

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Goochie81 View Post
    Sapphire and ceramic - about time. Not sure about the day date cyclops though

Agreed. The colours look great but the cyclops looks odd

The cyclops is horrendous :(

It's easy to pop the cyclops off. Ceramic is a bad idea on a dive watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It really is, it’s embarrassingly bad. What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    It really is, it’s embarrassingly bad. What were they thinking?
    Easy, they weren't. Awful decision as was the one to never give a watch like this with the option for time only. Not everyone needs the day and date.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

I agree , totally spoils the looks of a decent looking watch IMO .

Master
    Blog Entries
    THe 05 model is the pick of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Only for the 1% who use them for diving

I'm of the camp that ceramic is a bad idea full stop!

So close Seiko, but that damn that cyclops is fugly. Even if it can be easy to get rid of. I think we may see more cyclops by them in the future.

If the day/date window is the same size as in normal Turtle, the cyclop is not only ugly, but also useless...

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    If the day/date window is the same size as in normal Turtle, the cyclop is not only ugly, but also useless...
    That depends on your eyesight, I don't have a cat's chance of reading the day date on my non cyclops turtles without glasses on. With a cyclops I can, just about.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Seiko generally seem to fit cyclops to Far Eastern market only turtles such as the Nemo and Okinawa Sea Grapes to give just two examples. So is a general dislike of cyclops a Western thing perhaps?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried the green?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    That depends on your eyesight, I don't have a cat's chance of reading the day date on my non cyclops turtles without glasses on. With a cyclops I can, just about.

The older I get the more I'm inclined to agree with you. I think it's 2x magnification. I've resisted having a date magnifier so far, but I reckon my next watch will have to have it. Anybody buy one yet?

Master
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Middo;5356674]I have the green

Saw the green and black ones today, was wondering what they were as I seemed to have completely missed these!

Grand Master
    no to the cyclops from me, and i'm unsure about that new bezel edge.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Apprentice
    Defo doesn't need the cyclops, shame really as I am after the wavy Save The Ocean dial so looks like I will go either Samurai or Monster for this edition. Bezel looks better than my current turtle though.

Craftsman
    The Cyclops don't look great for day/date. Otherwise, nice watch.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    no to the cyclops from me, and i'm unsure about that new bezel edge.
    +1!!! Not sold on the dials either, but the edge is not great.

Master
    I have a few Seiko's - I just could not buy one with an "X" - maybe I'll change my mine, but I just think it looks awful and they insist on sticking it on most of their new models

Journeyman
    Nice one Middo, looks like everything lines up properly. Do you call it a grenade or waffle dial?

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I have a few Seiko's - I just could not buy one with an "X" - maybe I'll change my mine, but I just think it looks awful and they insist on sticking it on most of their new models
    Honestly, once you succumb, you realise these modern Seiko's are quite nice and need to be tried. And you do get used to it, I barely think about it now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Honestly, once you succumb, you realise these modern Seiko's are quite nice and need to be tried. And you do get used to it, I barely think about it now.
    I also don't understand why they keep slapping the word "Prospex" on all the bloody ranges - I know what it is short for, but what does it bloody mean ....... very little

(I spent quite a lot of time in Japan in the 80's - I was Chairman of a couple of Japanese, UK owned companies - and they are famous at getting words "wrong" - I remember hiking up a mountain and at the top was a vending machine with cold drinks - and one was "drink Pocari Sweat" - to the Japanese the name was logical!!)
    Last edited by BillN; 20th March 2020 at 23:25.

I also don't understand why they keep slapping the word "Prospex" on all the bloody ranges - I know what it is short for, but what does it bloody mean ....... very little

(I spent quite a lot of time in Japan in the 80's - I was Chairman of a couple of Japanese, UK owned companies - and they are famous at getting words "wrong" - I remember hiking up a mountain and at the top was a vending machine with cold drinks - and one was "drink Pocari Sweat" - to the Japanese the name was logical!!)
    hahaha, best to simply accept some oddities within other cultures! A different story when you're deliberately trying to export a product. It may make sense to Seiko, the rest of the world? Less so!

Master
    Blog Entries

The New Seiko Prospex King Turtle SRPE03,SRPEO5 & SRPE07

Pocari sweat is a big brand all over the region still.

I really like the dial on this, with the gold text , second hand and the green strap. Apart from the cyclops it’s a belter, so much so I haven’t even worn my new black sumo.

Last edited by Middo; 21st March 2020 at 14:49.

Craftsman
    I love the 6309 and it's descendents.

I can't afford one of these.

I'm probably going to end up buying one...

Craftsman
    Are these a limited edition?

If not, do people reckon they're likely to stay in production for a while?

Don't know what Seiko are generally doing these days with their lines. Things seem to change fairly fast.

The only time a cyclop has ever looked right is on a Datejust, on a sports watch it's just naff, obviously other opinions are available, ceramic bezel - on a dive watch really? It maybe fashionable for desk divers - but not practical on a tool watch.

Plus side - nice positive bezel edge.

For me they're just a drift dive too far away from the origins of Seiko tool watches.
    Last edited by number2; 23rd May 2020 at 07:32.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The only time a cyclop has ever looked right is on a Datejust, on a sports watch it's just naff, obviously other opinions are available, ceramic bezel - on a dive watch really? It maybe fashionable for desk divers - but not practical on a tool watch.

Plus side - nice positive bezel edge.

For me they're just a drift dive too far away from the origins of Seiko tool watches.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's the issue with ceramic bezels on dive watches? Is it a brittleness thing?

If so aren't we back to the same point of contention as the old sapphire vs hardlex debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's the issue with ceramic bezels on dive watches? Is it a brittleness thing?

If so aren't we back to the same point of contention as the old sapphire vs hardlex debate?
    Yup. Sapphire and ceramic are fine on a dive watch but not really optimal IMO

Craftsman
    Yup. Sapphire and ceramic are fine on a dive watch but not really optimal IMO
    Ok, understood.

I think that for a pure divers watch, I agree.

But I also know that 99% of the people who buy these will never dive with them, and so a degree of brittleness in return for greatly improved scratch resistance is a compromise the majority of consumers are prepared to make.

I think that while watches such as these should remain ISO certified, and dive ready, the notion of a dive watch in itself is inherently anachronistic, and the appeal is in applying the rugged durability offered by dive watch specs to your daily life, and thus a degree of adaptation is acceptable.

So while I accept it's not necessarily optimal from an absolute purists perspective, I would personally much prefer my seiko divers to have sapphire and ceramic outside bits, and I think the audience these watches are aimed at are largely in the same boat (trying not to bash their desk divers against the sides).

Many people bought? Anyone bought both?

I just read these are a special edition which apparently means they'll only be for sale for one year. I've been waiting for the SRP777 replacement but I think I'll go for one of these instead now.

Would be good to see some wrist shots and hear if anyone had any alignment issues. I haven't seen a bad alignment yet. Safe to order online?

Two stolen pictures from Yonsson. Looks like the black but on the green version's strap. Cyclops was removed, a new sapphire wasn't fitted.

Last edited by wileeeeeey; 3rd August 2020 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

I just read these are a special edition which apparently means they'll only be for sale for one year. I've been waiting for the SRP777 replacement but I think I'll go for one of these instead now.

Would be good to see some wrist shots and hear if anyone had any alignment issues. I haven't seen a bad alignment yet. Safe to order online?

Two stolen pictures from Yonsonn. Looks like the black but on the green version's strap. Cyclops was removed, a new sapphire wasn't fitted.
    I've been wondering with Seiko whether the low production run watches have better QC?

I think these Kings are fab, yonsonn removing the cyclops also improves the watch massively!

Craftsman
    I was getting really close and that picture without the cyclops was a big factor. Looks really lovely and I think the upgrades make it worth the premium over the standard Turtle. I swerved and got a lovely 6309-7040 instead. Not super helpful really!

Two stolen pictures from Yonsson. Looks like the black but on the green version's strap. Cyclops was removed, a new sapphire wasn't fitted.

I've got the green one on the way, according to the tracking details it should arrive by the 6th. I'll post some pics and my verdict when I get it.

I’ve been opportunistically checking shops out to see if I can try one on, in the flesh. Not found one yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to try and take a look at both side by side in the AD on the weekend. I don't think the bracelet works on these so it's more about the dial colour in person. Doubt either are bad.

Mine arrived today, and a handsome beastie it is too. Chapter ring alignment is spot on (must be a fake!), and so is bezel pip alignment, my photo shows the slight 'backlash' if you push clockwise until just before the previous click. The dial is superb, with the gold accents provided by the "DIVER'S 200M" text and the second hand tip a nice contrast. The Roman numerals as a second language option on the day wheel is a cool touch, and as for the elephant in the room, the cyclops, this is fine for me. Infact a date window is useless without one unless I have my reading glasses on. The caseback is standard turtle issue except it also has "SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL" etched onto it. So overall I'm very pleased indeed, just waiting for my green Borealis 'Isofrane' to arrive now.

Master
    I don’t know how I’ve missed these, been looking for something tough with a cyclops for a gift and one of these will be perfect.
    My local independant will be getting a call tomorrow.

I've ordered one of each which should be here tomorrow and I'll send one back. I think the green looks better in pictures but I think off the bracelet and on rubber the black could be the winner.

If anyone's interested the code "WATCH20" got me 20% off from Goldsmiths.

Master
    I've ordered one of each which should be here tomorrow and I'll send one back. I think the green looks better in pictures but I think off the bracelet and on rubber the black could be the winner.

If anyone's interested the code "WATCH20" got me 20% off from Goldsmiths.
    That’s a great heads-up, loyalty test imminent.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    That’s a great heads-up, loyalty test imminent.

It is a good deal if you are ordering with the intention of sending one back. However the one I received today came to £64 less than the Goldsmiths price, even after adding the 20% off code.

It is a good deal if you are ordering with the intention of sending one back. However the one I received today came to £64 less than the Goldsmiths price, even after adding the 20% off code.

Care to share? £64 on a £550 watch is quite a difference.

Care to share? £64 on a £550 watch is quite a difference.
    Of course, I should have said initially. Watches88 online, Singapore based I think, took 5 days to arrive.

Of course, I should have said initially. Watches88 online, Singapore based I think, took 5 days to arrive.

Interesting, thank you. Did the discount you quoted included any VAT after entry into the UK?

Interesting, thank you. Did the discount you quoted included any VAT after entry into the UK?
    Yes it did, but they were 'creative' with the declaration without being asked and I paid less than 17 quid. Came in at £352 total including vat and delivery.

Yes it did, but they were 'creative' with the declaration without being asked and I paid less than 17 quid. Came in at £352 total including vat and delivery.

That's a really good end price although part owing to their creativity. I haven't seen any alignment issues on the king turtles but I'd be too scared to order a Seiko diver from overseas due to alignment fears.