closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why does the Rolex Cellini line get so little coverage

Craftsman

Why does the Rolex Cellini line get so little coverage

I see Rolex everywhere amongst the watch collecting community. But I almost never see a picture of a Cellini why is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    If you're interested in Cellini, this topic comes up every now and again and there have been some good threads (with owner comments and pictures) in the past so it's worth searching back if this one doesn't gain any traction. I almost bought one (heavily discounted) a while back and had a similar question. I ended up buying something totally different and just think, for the money, there are more appealing dress watches.

Master
    I think a lot of people like the iconic look of certain watches, most brands have the watches they are most associated with. Cellini isn't one of those for Rolex and is one of the more expensive lines so there are even more alternatives at the price point.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

They don’t look quite right to me, but I can’t quite put my finger on what specifically bothers me

Perhaps they need a transparent case-back and heavily decorated movement?

And at that price point there are clearly more appealing watches both from a design and specification perspective

I really like a lot of the Cellini designs, but find an individual’s name on the dial (however ossified the individual) infra dig.

I could probably live with it on one of these:

which also meets the earlier suggestion regarding sapphire case back and decorated movement...

Wouldn’t you rather have a Saxonia...

Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Is it just me who thinks that most of the ALS watches look better from the caseback\movement than the dial?
    Nope.

There’s something naughty about the whole thing

Craftsman
    I think there are much better looking alternatives for the money, to me the Cellini looks cluttered for a dress watch. It also appears acceptable these days to wear a sports watch for any occasion, which probably isn't helping the cases of dress watches in general, never mind the Cellini.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Allthingsblue View Post
    Is it just me who thinks that most of the ALS watches look better from the caseback\movement than the dial?
    No, I was going to post the same thing. The back looks amazing, it's a shame to hide it.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

which also meets the earlier suggestion regarding sapphire case back and decorated movement...
    If instead they made copies of the 1930s Princes... they would have killed it.

The Cellini moonphase is one of the nicest watches of recent Baselworlds. Personally I thought it’s look was breathtaking and was Rolex’s first moonphase for many years as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post

Filthy!

Saxonia next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The Cellini moonphase is one of the nicest watches of recent Baselworlds. Personally I thought it’s look was breathtaking and was Rolex’s first moonphase for many years as well.
    Have to strongly disagree. It’s too big and brash, seems to have no self confidence or elan about it whatsoever. It the metal it looks rather gauche to my eye.

Master
    I think it’s just that moment of dissonance you feel, when you see a brand name on something unexpected. Your brain tells you it’s a mistake. Somehow you think, that watch says Rolex on it, but it’s not ‘a Rolex’, a bracelet watch with cyclops. Surely Rolex means solid and dependable, not thin and fragile? What’s more, it’s a rather loud brand to find on a dress watch. Shouldn’t they be discrete, subtle, and have a brand that’s obscure, unaffordable and unpronounceable? It’s not so much the watches, it’s their whole marketing effort teaching you that the logo means something else. A similar confusion to the one some feel seeing SEIKO on a very expensive watch (and they eventually had to take it off GS for that reason), or Montblanc on something that doesn’t write. If it just said Cellini we’d take it as it is. But it says Rolex Cellini, a Rolex dress watch, it’s a branding oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I think it’s just that moment of dissonance you feel, when you see a brand name on something unexpected. Your brain tells you it’s a mistake. Somehow you think, that watch says Rolex on it, but it’s not ‘a Rolex’, a bracelet watch with cyclops. Surely Rolex means solid and dependable, not thin and fragile? What’s more, it’s a rather loud brand to find on a dress watch. Shouldn’t they be discrete, subtle, and have a brand that’s obscure, unaffordable and unpronounceable? It’s not so much the watches, it’s their whole marketing effort teaching you that the logo means something else. A similar confusion to the one some feel seeing SEIKO on a very expensive watch (and they eventually had to take it off GS for that reason), or Montblanc on something that doesn’t write. If it just said Cellini we’d take it as it is. But it says Rolex Cellini, a Rolex dress watch, it’s a branding oxymoron.
    You make a good point here.

Craftsman
    They are very classy, more like some of the pateks..maybe that's the problem..

Master
    Blog Entries
    1. Because they are not investment grade watches.

2. Because they are available

They don’t look quite right to me, but I can’t quite put my finger on what specifically bothers me

Perhaps they need a transparent case-back and heavily decorated movement?

And at that price point there are clearly more appealing watches both from a design and specification perspective

I 100% agree. rolex do what rolex do and they do it well. Well enough to market it in such a way that people queue for sometimes years to be allowed to be relieved of their money for the perceived privilege.

But there are so many brands that do what the poorly-named Cellini (sounds like an 80s knock off fashion brand) better than rolex tries to do.

Despite the blinkered protests to the contrary, rolex is at the root, about reliability, durability and daily wear and they do "sports" watches that are the envy of all rivals. Dressy is done better by so many.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    It really is.

Have to strongly disagree. It’s too big and brash, seems to have no self confidence or elan about it whatsoever. It the metal it looks rather gauche to my eye.
    Agree totally. Just overdone...

Master
    I get the impression most of the people here have never owned or even worn a modern Cellini. They have screw-down crowns , a genuine 5atm water resistance and standard tough Rolex movements, with identical shock proofing to the OP range. In general, they’re more than tough enough for everyday use. Rolex have made sure of that, dress watch or not.
    I’ve enjoyed a couple and found them lovely gold watches, elegant and graceful on the wrist. And better value than their rivals too.
    Seriously under estimated watches, and that probably won’t change.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th January 2020 at 21:27.

They aren’t bad watches, but for that kind of thing, I would have much more interest in either a Lange Saxonia, or a Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle. The “Cellini” on the dial is also pretty annoying. The majority of them seem to be 39mm, which is too big.

Dave

Craftsman

It's out of place, like others have said unlike the steel rolex range the cellini competes in a price range & style that it can't compete in.

Most of the cellini range just leaves you cold.

Last edited by optix; 27th January 2020 at 19:39.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    It's out of place, like others have said unlike the steel rolex range the cellini competes in a price range & style that it doesn't can't compete in.

Most of the cellini range just leaves you cold.
    Rolex keep making them so someone is buying them - giving AFAIK Rolex does not release any figures do we even have any way to judge how well they compete?

Craftsman
    I feel they could benefit from bringing back something like this.

Adjustments.jpg

Master

I certainly could not live with one of these, it looks hideous imo like a steampunk version of a Reverso.
    Last edited by JeremyO; 27th January 2020 at 17:23.

I suppose they’re ok. For that kind of money though, you want more than ok and there’s a heck of a lot of dress watches out there that are simply lovely. Way more than ok.

Plus, I’m with whoever said “Cellini” is just a bit of a naff name.

And double plus; I’ve just had a play on the Rolex website. I’m just not sure I want to be bestowed with the gift of temporal ubiquity?

However, when I look at the professional range, it just seems ‘right’. Tough. Purposeful. Matter of fact. What Rolex is all about to my middle aged generation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Not best for flippers, thats all:)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The line is named after Benvenuto Cellini an Italian goldsmith and sculptor

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benvenuto_Cellini

I have a Cellini and because it wasn’t brought now and I think the older ones are amazing value for money. I like the fact that the watch is very under the radar and it makes a lovely unusual dress watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Rolex keep making them so someone is buying them - giving AFAIK Rolex does not release any figures do we even have any way to judge how well they compete?
    We could ask members on TZ to pick 9 other watches that compete with the Cellini in terms of design and category, then do a poll.

The Cellini wouldn't be at the top of the list.

I'm not sure it's in the conversation for anyone looking to spend upwards of £10k on a dress watch.

Rolex make alot of undesirable watches they always have, people will buy the cellini because of the rolex name.

Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    We could ask members on TZ to pick 9 other watches that compete with the Cellini in terms of design and category, then do a poll.

The Cellini wouldn't be at the top of the list.
    That would tell us less than nothing given it is an atypical self-selecting sample with a bias towards diving and tool watches.

Craftsman
    I think they are overlooked for two reasons. Firstly because dress-watches generally are not fashionable nowadays. Secondly because some potential buyers mistakenly believe that the old-guard PP/AP/VC produce a ‘better’ product.

Personally I like the current range; the white-gold white-dial time-only in particularly is a strikingly handsome piece imo. Good value too. The only reason I haven’t bought one is because they are automatic and, for me, That doesn’t sit well with a dress watch. Other than that I’d love to have one.

Cellini Prince 18ct White Gold … an under-appreciated watch

… on an 8.25" wrist

ROLEX PRINCE DISPLAY BACK & MANUAL WIND CALIBER 7040 with 72 HOUR POWER RESERVE

What's not to like?
    It's a wonderful watch! 18ct gold 44.2mm x 27mm case, display back, 21 jewel decorated movement, 72 hour power reserve, 18ct gold butterfly deployant clasp, heft …
    … and disbelieving / ignorant "But surely that cannot be a Rolex?!" admirers.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/cel...od973.htm#gref

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 1st February 2020 at 00:55.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Another (quite recent) owner here. I like the fact they are different, and as an occasional precious metal smart watch it makes sense.

Whilst a calatrava, VC traditionalle or a saxonia may be more elegant, they are all much more expensive on the used market and I love the colour of tyke glacier dial. I bought this platinum model for less than a new steel datejust.

Apologies for a recycled pic

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Cellini Prince 18ct White Gold … an under-appreciated watch

ROLEX PRINCE DISPLAY BACK & MANUAL WIND CALIBER 7040 with 72 HOUR POWER RESERVE

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/cel...od973.htm#gref

dunk
    I really like that model and been tempted a few times for used one

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    That’s got a lot of character, thumbs up. Think I saw a matching pair for sale in Brussels not too long ago. Not priced too crazy either...

Simply put, they don't look like a rolex.

BUBI 0_0

Craftsman

Every damned time, so nice those.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app