closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchmakers screwdrivers??

Master

Watchmakers screwdrivers??

I'm not a watchmaker or repairer, but I do the usual small jobs, resizing bracelets, replacing batteries and similar

Just got an Oyster Uncle Seiko and it looks as if the "pins" are screw in and out - I don't have a screwdriver small enough, I think that it must be the "white" one 0.6mm, or could it be the "orange" at 0.5mm

Cheap and cheerful on eBay/Amazon, £5 for 6, or Horotec, @ around £10 EACH ... Bergeon are more money

I may as well get some reasonably good ones, (or a set for £100), as they will always come in handy for other "stuff"

If I get the Horotec ones, Is it worth buying the sharpener at about £20

any recommends??
    Last edited by BillN; 25th January 2020 at 17:56.

Discussed recently here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ers-and-tools/

Lots of recommendations for AF. You can find them on Amazon if, like me, you'd rather avoid Cousins.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Discussed recently here: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ers-and-tools/

Lots of recommendations for AF. You can find them on Amazon if, like me, you'd rather avoid Cousins.
    Thanks Rob

Having fairly-recently had a Bergeon crap-out on me while under only moderate pressure, I would say steer WELL clear - very much not worth the disproportionate expense.

I've had good experiences with stuff from Beco, so perhaps worth a look, though I have no experience with the screwdrivers they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I have had that set for years, served me well.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I have had that set for years, served me well.
    Thanks Jason - just ordered a set - the power of the internet!!

Master
    I'm not a watchmaker or repairer, but I do the usual small jobs, resizing bracelets, replacing batteries and similar

Just got an Oyster Uncle Seiko and it looks as if the "pins" are screw in and out - I don't have a screwdriver small enough, I think that it must be the "white" one 0.6mm, or could it be the "orange" at 0.5mm

Cheap and cheerful on eBay/Amazon, £5 for 6, or Horotec, @ around £10 EACH ... Bergeon are more money

I may as well get some reasonably good ones, (or a set for £100), as they will always come in handy for other "stuff"

If I get the Horotec ones, Is it worth buying the sharpener at about £20

any recommends??
    .5 is very small, are you sure they're not just u-shaped pins you hammer out? They can look like screwheads but arent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    .5 is very small, are you sure they're not just u-shaped pins you hammer out? They can look like screwheads but arent.
    Thanks - you are correct, I asked Uncle Seiko and got the following reply

"You don’t use a screw driver they push through"

It looked to me as if there was a screw, i.e. there is a slotted head on one end
    Last edited by BillN; 26th January 2020 at 01:09.

Master
    Thanks - you are correct, I asked Uncle Seiko and got the following reply

"You don’t use a screw driver they push through"

It looked to me as if there was a screw, i.e. there is a slotted head on one end

NP! Should be arrows on the back of the bracelet too, the "screwhead" end should come out first :)

Master
    Thanks Jason - just ordered a set - the power of the internet!!
    They never arrived - Out of Stock, Out of Stock, delayed delivery, Out of Stock and now an "Obsolete" notice on the Cousins site

Has anyone tried the Cousins sets?

Thomas Reid
    Mine are A&F, although the blades are various brands. If I have to get any replacements (don't see why I would, however), I would probably get Horotec, but no stand. I don't use my A&F stand, as I greatly prefer a DIY one.

Best wishes,
    Bob

No, but have had various other Cousins tools over the years. All have been reasonable/good quality and do the job.

Blog Entries
    They never arrived - Out of Stock, Out of Stock, delayed delivery, Out of Stock and now an "Obsolete" notice on the Cousins site

Click the link and you will see that this set is now obsolete but there is a link to

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/af...l-9-pieces-rs#

Quite frankly for the odd jobber doing the odd job perfectly good enough IMO quite a different matter if you are a pro.A cheap pin pusher is also a worthwhile investment for those bracelets that are just push ones.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I always use Bergeon Bill and I find that in reality I only ever use five sizes but then again I don't do a lot of tinkering, never had a problem with them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    I always use Bergeon Bill and I find that in reality I only ever use five sizes but then again I don't do a lot of tinkering, never had a problem with them.
    Hi John, good to hear from you

I believe that if you have a watch that you appreciate and treasure expensive or not, there is no point in skimping on tools even if you only use them now and again.

I've tried the cheap Amazon and eBay stuff and they may work but why take the risk for a few quid - I've got some Bergeon stuff but now need a good set of screwdrivers not only for watch bracelet etc., but also for other stuff.

Hi John, good to hear from you

I believe that if you have a watch that you appreciate and treasure expensive or not, there is no point in skimping on tools even if you only use them now and again.

I've tried the cheap Amazon and eBay stuff and they may work but why take the risk for a few quid - I've got some Bergeon stuff but now need a good set of screwdrivers not only for watch bracelet etc., but also for other stuff.
    Wera make good quality tools in general and although not standard micro I have this set for wider use, have found them very good quality and design.

They are well priced on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wera-Screwd...c=1&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app