closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CV Curriculum Vitae advice please

CV Curriculum Vitae advice please

Could I just pick some brains please.

I'm after some recommendations for some free online CV building websites, app etc.

You know the sort of thing, the latest structure, content/layout advice etc.

Thanks in advance

Gary

Master
    I paid a girl on LinkedIn to structure mine. Cost around £50 and best thing I ever did. Have a search on there...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I can send you a training package I put together about 5 years ago if it helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    I can send you a training package I put together about 5 years ago if it helps?

PM sent :)

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    I paid a girl on LinkedIn to structure mine. Cost around £50 and best thing I ever did. Have a search on there...
    Thanks. Wildo

Blog Entries

Do bear in mind that expectations will vary by industry and - more importantly - seniority.

Master
    If you have MS Word, there are CV Templates within the software or go to the Microsoft website.

https://templates.office.com/en-gb/r...-cover-letters

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    If you have MS Word, there are CV Templates within the software or go to the Microsoft website.

https://templates.office.com/en-gb/r...-cover-letters
    A slight note of caution might be struck regarding Word templates - they came seem a bit paint-by-numbers. But certainly useful illustrations of approaches that one might make.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    A slight note of caution might be struck regarding Word templates - they came seem a bit paint-by-numbers. But certainly useful illustrations of approaches that one might make.
    Thanks @classics and JGJG

I'm using a MAC at the moment - but I do have Word

Send me your email and I'll let you have some very useful information.

Do bear in mind that expectations will vary by industry and - more importantly - seniority.
    Exactly this, it really does depend on the above as to how to configure.

Master
    Just bumping this, rather than starting a new thread, as out of the blue I've been approached to apply for a role and as it's with a large corporate it needs a CV to HR in the first instance. Thing is it's been over 15 years since I last did one and I can't even find it so it looks like I'm going to be starting from scratch. I've had a quick search online and it would appear that the reverse chronological style, being a senior role within the same industry, is what I'm after. If there are any other suggestions not already on this thread they are of course much appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by mactrack; 12th September 2021 at 19:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    Just bumping this, rather starting a new thread, as out of thee blue I've been approached to apply for a role and as it's with a large corporate so it needs a CV to HR in the first instance. Thing is it's been over 15 years since I last did one and I can't even find it so it looks like I'm going to be starting from scratch. I've had a quick search online and it would appear that the reverse chronological style, being a senior role within the same industry, is what I'm after. If there is any other suggestions not already on this thread they are of course much appreciated. Thanks.
    Cant beat the advice and offers above, remember to focus on transferable skills. Include summary of improvements eg grew sales from x to y , reduced cost…… Its cliche but ensure your CV addresses the key requirements of the job, often junior staff are used to screen applications and just look for conformance to spec. Lastly think about how long you as a manager spend reading CV’s then halve it, since the HR dept maybe filling numerous roles.

Good luck by the way Steve

I see a lot of CVs and recently there's been a trend of listing achievements and successes in a big block, then going on to an incomplete list of companies and roles.

I've found it really hard to work out what many of them have done and where they've done it. I've often resorted to LinkedIn to help me fill in the gaps.

I like reading a chronological list of roles with the major achievements and main responsibilities. Every line should pass the "so what?" test.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Cant beat the advice and offers above, remember to focus on transferable skills. Include summary of improvements eg grew sales from x to y , reduced cost…… Its cliche but ensure your CV addresses the key requirements of the job, often junior staff are used to screen applications and just look for conformance to spec. Lastly think about how long you as a manager spend reading CV’s then halve it, since the HR dept maybe filling numerous roles.

Good luck by the way Steve
    Thanks for the tips and for your kind sentiment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I see a lot of CVs and recently there's been a trend of listing achievements and successes in a big block, then going on to an incomplete list of companies and roles.

I've found it really hard to work out what many of them have done and where they've done it. I've often resorted to LinkedIn to help me fill in the gaps.

I like reading a chronological list of roles with the major achievements and main responsibilities. Every line should pass the "so what?" test.
    Thank you as well as it's really showing up how out of date I am as regards CVs!

As someone who also reads a large number of CVs, conducts many of the interviews and gives the 'Yes' or 'No' to HR to offer a contract, I can say that the above is excellent advice. I don't really care about the format but the content that can be evidenced or discussed. In my area it is extremely rare to receive CVs that claim falsehoods for reasons I can't go into on a public forum.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mac, pm me if you want my PowerPoint presentation - it's old like me but it stands the test of time. If you do make contact let me know the role involved

National careers website

It’s all there for you

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Hi Mac, pm me if you want my PowerPoint presentation - it's old like me but it stands the test of time. If you do make contact let me know the role involved
    Thank you and PM sent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    National careers website

It’s all there for you

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and so a link for those who might also be interested;

https://nationalcareers.service.gov....ions#cv-layout

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    In my area it is extremely rare to receive CVs that claim falsehoods for reasons I can't go into on a public forum.
    I once had a candidate memorably quip that he had no difficulty being dishonest on his CV as he had yet to read an honest job description.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I once had a candidate memorably quip that he had no difficulty being dishonest on his CV as he had yet to read an honest job description.
    That's brilliant and I will use it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Tbh, if I read my job description I probably wouldn't apply for the role - I don't realise how good I am, which in turn means we hire plenty of BS chancers.

Not directly related to CVs but always makes me smile:

'Do not underestimate your abilities; that is your boss’s job.'

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    AIn my area it is extremely rare to receive CVs that claim falsehoods for reasons I can't go into on a public forum.
    Ha-ha.............. what colour is the boat shed at Hereford?

To an extent I agree with this, but fail to see how anyone could be unimpressed with my 25m swimming certificate (backstroke), despite being a brain surgeon.
    ;)

I have this if any good to you just been made redundant click on the link for cv advice.

http://www.rms-recruitment.co.uk/acc...e-cv-template/

Master
    This, and it is how my CV is structured, which has done me very well over the last 30 years. Imo CV tools are a solution to a problem that should not exist, if someone is unable to put together a CV on their own I think it is a pretty poor state of affairs. I also do not like receiving CVs that have been buggered around with by agencies.

I've found it really hard to work out what many of them have done and where they've done it.

Three bullets of responsibilities and three bullets of achievements for each role. Try and keep them to one short sentence for each.

Master
    I think the advice provided in the thread addresses your request, but can I stress if you are considering an online service do a lot of due diligence as they are used by thieves for identify theft either directly or because they don’t have adequate cyber security and your information is stolen.