closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brietling Aerospace problem - hands only move forwards

Brietling Aerospace problem - hands only move forwards

Afternoon TZ,

I got an Aerospace E65062 in October last year from the SC, wore it for a week, didn't really gel with it enough to kick other things off my wrist, and it's been in its box since then. I've come back to it now after seeing a relevant Wanted advert and whilst doing a function check before contacting the seeker, the hands only move forwards when setting the time...no matter what direction I move the crown, they just move fowards.

Is this a module replacement jobby, or is something else awry? Either way, suggestions for a suitable watchmaker to get this sorted would be much appreciated.

Hugh

There is some kind of switch behind the crown-stem mechanism, responsible for function change. It might be a bit worn during the time. First symptoms is more turns of the crown, needed for making any effect.

Master
    Is that to say if you move the crown forwards the hands go forward, and if you move the crown backwards, the hands don’t move at all - or *also* go forwards?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

In timekeeping mode, if you spin the crown in both directions alternately does it change mode in only one direction, (same direction as when moving the hands forward), or in both directions?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by konlew View Post
    There is some kind of switch behind the crown-stem mechanism, responsible for function change. It might be a bit worn during the time. First symptoms is more turns of the crown, needed for making any effect.
    Interesting - is this a part that gets changed on its own, do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Is that to say if you move the crown forwards the hands go forward, and if you move the crown backwards, the hands don’t move at all - or *also* go forwards?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The hands *also* go forwards - it's very peculiar! They don't move mirroring the moving backwards if that makes sense - if the digital time moves backwards 10 minutes, the hands will move forwards just a few minutes.

The digital time changes in both directions as expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    In timekeeping mode, if you spin the crown in both directions alternately does it change mode in only one direction, (same direction as when moving the hands forward), or in both directions?
    The mode changes in both directions as expected. It's in the time setting mode things go awry with the hands.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Interesting - is this a part that gets changed on its own, do you know?
    As far as I know this part could be adjusted. I had similar problem in my Breitling B-1. Those movements are basically modified ETAs.
    Look at he picture - the square close to the crown, with the steam in center.
    Last edited by konlew; 26th January 2020 at 13:03.

The mode changes in both directions as expected. It's in the time setting mode things go awry with the hands.
    OK, that indicates that the mechanism is working correctly with the crown in the home position.

Next check, select the Alarm function and try setting the alarm in both directions. Does the digital display change in both directions, or only in one? If in only one then the fault lies in that mechanism, if in both directions then the mechanism is working correctly and the problem lies elsewhere.
    Best Regards - Peter

OK, that indicates that the mechanism is working correctly with the crown in the home position.

Next check, select the Alarm function and try setting the alarm in both directions. Does the digital display change in both directions, or only in one? If in only one then the fault lies in that mechanism, if in both directions then the mechanism is working correctly and the problem lies elsewhere.
    Thank you kindly for this troubleshooting - I'd not thought to check those.

Alarm function:
    Time changes in both directions as expected, and the alarm can be turned on/off also as expected.

I've just gone through the other functions too:

Chronograph:
    Starts, stops and resets as expected.

T2:
    Hour changes in both directions as expected.

Timer:
    Time changes in both directions, starts/stops and resets as expected.

Day:
    Changes in both directions as expected.

Date:

Check the photo - you have the "barrel" on steam and two "sensors" - one for crown in pushed position and one for pulled.

Check the photo - you have the "barrel" on steam and two "sensors" - one for crown in pushed position and one for pulled.
    Thank you kindly for the photo - the strange thing is is that the sensor for the crown pulled out therefore appears to be working for the digital display, but not the hands?

Thank you kindly for this troubleshooting - I'd not thought to check those.

Alarm function:
    Time changes in both directions as expected, and the alarm can be turned on/off also as expected.

I've just gone through the other functions too:

Chronograph:
    Starts, stops and resets as expected.

T2:
    Hour changes in both directions as expected.

Timer:
    Time changes in both directions, starts/stops and resets as expected.

Day:

Date:
    Hmm, that clearly indicates that the selection/change mechanism is working as it should as demonstrated by the digital display. So why not the analogue display? OK, next thing I'd try if it were mine is to take the battery out, wait a minute or two then put the battery back in again - only if you're confident to take the back off and do this! It's possible that the circuitry controlling the stepper motor has become 'confused', if so resetting everything by taking the battery out may fix it - you do this at your own risk mind.

I've changed the battery on my Aerospace several times and it's not hard to do.
    Best Regards - Peter

You're right. If display reacts on crown in both positions, this mechanism is ok.!

As Griswold wrote, I would take the battery off for a couple of minutes and check then. It's quite easy job, I've done it in Emergency and B-1.

https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/how...ni-digi-watch/

Not sure if the above is of any help ?
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    https://www.keepthetime.com/blog/how...ni-digi-watch/

Not sure if the above is of any help ?
    Cheers - fortunately this is a full set, so I have the manual. Without it you definitely need that link you've provided! It's not entirely logical.

Hmm, that clearly indicates that the selection/change mechanism is working as it should as demonstrated by the digital display. So why not the analogue display? OK, next thing I'd try if it were mine is to take the battery out, wait a minute or two then put the battery back in again - only if you're confident to take the back off and do this! It's possible that the circuitry controlling the stepper motor has become 'confused', if so resetting everything by taking the battery out may fix it - you do this at your own risk mind.

I've changed the battery on my Aerospace several times and it's not hard to do.
    You're right. If display reacts on crown in both positions, this mechanism is ok.!

As Griswold wrote, I would take the battery off for a couple of minutes and check then. It's quite easy job, I've done it in Emergency and B-1.
    Many thanks to you both for the suggestion - battery successfully taken out and left for a good 10 minutes...but no change on the hand moving front, still the same only moving forwards issues.

Any further suggestions? I really appreciate the help!

Last edited by hughtrimble; 26th January 2020 at 16:04.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/forum...3.html%3famp=1

Looks like it has happened to others.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/forum...3.html%3famp=1

Looks like it has happened to others.
    Well found! My searches found nout.
    Unlike the linked-to one, this responds to the rapid turns (i.e. to do the hours - it was difficult to do when it first arrived and still is, but it does do them) but as with the minutes hands, it only moves forwards but again, not mirroring the digital time moved backwards.

Frustrating!
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 26th January 2020 at 16:16.

Many thanks to you both for the suggestion - battery successfully taken out and left for a good 10 minutes...but no change on the hand moving front, still the same only moving forwards issues.

Any further suggestions? I really appreciate the help!

Only thing I can think now is that the stepper motor is only operating in one direction or the detent that it drives is worn in one direction. I guess the only option now is to send it in to Breitling who will undoubtedly just fit a new movement. Looking at your photograph it looks like you have an older version of the movement which is not thermocompensated. If you send it in to Breitling they will fit a thermocompensated movement, (assuming one will fit in your case), I've certainly heard of them doing this in the past.
    Best Regards - Peter

Those movements could be a bit tricky. I've read about the B-1 which starts to move backwards after the battery change...

Those movements could be a bit tricky. I've read about the B-1 which starts to move backwards after the battery change...
    Only thing I can think now is that the stepper motor is only operating in one direction or the detent that it drives is worn in one direction. I guess the only option now is to send it in to Breitling who will undoubtedly just fit a new movement. Looking at your photograph it looks like you have an older version of the movement which is not thermocompensated. If you send it in to Breitling they will fit a thermocompensated movement, (assuming one will fit in your case), I've certainly heard of them doing this in the past.
    Thank you both again for all your help. Looks like a trip to the Breitling store is in order!

Thank you both again for all your help. Looks like a trip to the Breitling store is in order!
    Good luck! I hope they will manage it without replacing the movement.