closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New York Travel advise

Craftsman

New York Travel advise

Im looking for some advise on flights to New York,

I gifted my daughter for her 21st a trip to New York and trying to make it as special as I could afford said I would get her Premium Economy seats.

Just been looking at flights and for the return journey I can get Premium really cheap so was looking to push the outbound to business class.

All this is with BA so im hoping to get thoughts on BA flights both Premium Economy and business.

I have read that the 747's are not that great in either class on BA

Any of the good people here travelled that route in anything other than Economy that can offer me their thoughts, advise on the experience.

Thanks Loads !

Master
    Assuming she's travelling east on the way home, the business class flight might be better for that leg as it will probably be overnight i.e. she might appreciate a bed more.

Master
    A lot of people do the business class going out s0 they can enjoy the experience of it. I’d always pick the return as it’s lovely to have a flat bed at night. That said NY isn’t a long flight for long haul. Either way she’ll love the experience I’m sure.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Definitely homeward bound. No point on the way out, with the (likely) time of an outbound flight and the anticipation of time in NYC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi wade for me also. We always do Business Class on the way home from Hong Kong it’s nice to have something to look forward to and as said overnight you want the bed

8 hours on the way out.

6 hours on the way back. Less if the jet stream is very strong.

Enjoy business class on the longer outbound leg. Nice meal, champagne and watch a couple of movies with your feet up.

Sleeping in business class or economy is the same thing when you are asleep

Master
    Personally I can't fall asleep in a chair, always envious of those that can

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    It most definitely is not!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    8 hours on the way out.

6 hours on the way back. Less if the jet stream is very strong.

Enjoy business class on the longer outbound leg. Nice meal, champagne and watch a couple of movies with your feet up.

Terrible advice. BA’s premium economy product is excellent for a day flight. Flat bed for the night flight EVERY TIME. This will also get her access to the arrivals lounge at T5 when she lands for a shower and decent breakfast, and the very good BA lounge in New York for a couple of champagnes before she leaves.

It all depends if she can sleep on the plane.

I can't so it's all about comfort for me.
    If I'm paying, it's PE at best and AA are better than BA imho.

Business if it's getting paid for...

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Master
    Tbh I’d go Virgin as BA is a bit crap these days. But either way it is a toss up between being awake on the outbound to enjoy the full experience of Premium or Business vs having them to get more room for overnight and potentially sleeping better.

Craftsman
    Virgin Atlantic would be the way I go. However, the price for UC on the way back really isn’t worth it as you’re only in the air for 6 hours max. Defo worth it for the west coast as the trip is much further.

Virgin lounge access at LHR is worth the flight itself. Try to get on the new A350 as it’s better than the Dreamliner IMO, I was on it last weekend to Manhattan.

I do t think a 21 year old will be worried about sleep when in business class for the first time.

Business out, get the holiday off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    I do t think a 21 year old will be worried about sleep when in business class for the first time.

Business out, get the holiday off to a good start.
    Agreed!

Outbound would make it more special and exciting, but return is probably the more pragmatic of the two imo. I say that as someone who has only flown first class for one holiday in my life which was to new York from London return.

The advantage of return is the ability to sleep and the increased bagged allowance. 30kg Vs 20kg iirc.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Exigeowner View Post

All this is with BA so im hoping to get thoughts on BA flights both Premium Economy and business.
    BA'S first class was once viewed as the world's best business class, that gives you an idea of how unremarkable BA business class is.

The LHR > NYC routes now have the new club world seat that is a massive upgrade on the old seat (not sure if this is all flights so check) . The BA business class lounges are underwhelming this takes away from the whole experience, when taking European flights with BA I look for those out of terminal 3 so that I can use the Qantas lounge.

Virgin's UC is miles better then the old BA club world, the new BA club world seat is slightly better then the virgin offering but Virgin's UC wins on the overall experience when including their club house, staff & customer service. (Also this being her 21st Virgin might appeal more due to it being a younger brand)

Virgin's premium economy is also a better product then BA's, neither have lounge access.

Sleeping in business class is a massive difference to in economy / premium. I'll happily debate this for hours with anyone who wants to disagree. If you have to pick one leg use the night time flight.

The LDN - NYC is a billion dollar route for individual airlines so at the right time you can get some great sale fares due to competition & some horrific normal ones ( United Polaris Business never seems to go on sale, it does have a great lounge in terminal 2) If you book in a hotel with either BA / VIRGIN the overall savings can work out if booking for 2+ so might not work in this scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    BA sometimes offer an upgrade from Business to First, so keep an eye out for those. However, when I went in September, although First Class was great, the plane was quite old.

All depends on whether she wants to enjoy the experience. I struggled to sleep at all on the way back on a night flight.

Either way, New York is amazing and she'll have a great time.

Master

New York Travel advise

I used to commute to NY. Virgin has great staff and old aircraft. BA has newer aircraft miserable staff.

If you want BA suggest you check the prices with Icelandic air as it’s a code share flight with BA. Same BA flight just often £1000 cheaper.
    Last edited by joe narvey; 28th January 2020 at 17:47.

BA Premium Economy is pretty good I think whereas the Club, with the old style layout isn't.......you'd be better off flying Premium both ways & spending the money saved on a better hotel in NY or some decent shows.....

What a Top Dad!

I've flown First, Business and Premium Economy.

They each have their advantages but overall, given you are paying, it is about the experience.

NYC/LHR is a short flight for sleeping on so consequently I'd recommend that you book day time flights each way of any class.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I used to commute to NY. Virgin has great staff and old aircraft. BA has newer aircraft miserable staff.

If you want BA suggest you check the prices with Icelandic air as it’s a code share flight with BA. Same BA flight just often £1000 cheaper.
    I think you might mean Finnair. And codeshares (particularly on this route) only tend to be this much cheaper when the origin is not London (ie you start your trip in Helsinki and pass through Heathrow, often known as an Ex-EU ticket). I doubt the OP’s daughter will be too keen on that to save Dad a few quid 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I think you might mean Finnair. And codeshares (particularly on this route) only tend to be this much cheaper when the origin is not London (ie you start your trip in Helsinki and pass through Heathrow, often known as an Ex-EU ticket). I doubt the OP’s daughter will be too keen on that to save Dad a few quid 😂
    Oh cr4p, sorry you are right it’s Finair. But.. I flew from Heathrow to NY not via Helsinki.